Pre Game warmup

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by t3tsubo, Jan 31, 2007.

1. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    I take a long time to get warmed up into '100% focus mode' in practice, as long as 30, in matches, as long as 1 and a half games in. So i was wondering what kind of exercises i can do before my game during my tournament so that i can be warmed up from the begining.
    in swimming we always have a 30-1hr long warmup session before the tournament starts, but i doubt (this is my first tourney) that there is a similar time for rallying and footwork drills in a badminton tournament. So i cant really use the court except for the 2-3 min of rallying i can request before i start the match.
    so what else could i do before i am even called up that can get my blood pumping and mind ready? I can think a few, like skipping rope, dynamic stretches and such, but can you give me any more? or some specific things? keep in mind i probably have little space to work with and definetely no access to a court.

thanks in advance!

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I, too, am a slow warmer-upper, so I can commiserate.

My warm-up routine incorporates mental and physical aspects, and once it became set about 7 years ago, I've never deviated from it. It goes like so:

1. Put on shoes slowly and methodically while listening to angry music in mp3 player
    2. Run in a squash court or some other area where I can be totally alone, starting with jogging, then shuffling, then cross-overs. Keeping up with the music, of course.
    3. 8-10 minute thorough stretch, and visualizing my game.
    4. I take a tennis ball in the squash court, and use it to warm up my arm so I'm ready to hit consistent clears. Basically, I'll do badminton footwork, and when I go to the back corners, will throw the tennis ball, and then do footwork to the 'front corners' to catch it after it's bounced off.
    5. Get all my on-court gear and go stand near the courts, watching the matches, no music. I jump up and down and make shadow motions of flicks and smash returns with my racquet a lot, all the while visualizing just how damn awesome I'm going to play.

So I guess in short, my advice is, come up with a very specific routine and stick to it!

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

One thing that I've been playing around with is that of an effective abbreviated warm-up. It came from reading about a trainer who used to work with special forces soldiers. His idea was that in combat, you don't have the luxury of warming up, instead you had to be in sharp form quickly or get shot by your enemy. While this is a bit of an extreme example, it does make you think twice about having an overly elaborate preparatory routine. What if something prevents you from doing your routine? Will that affect your game? Plan ahead, stuff happens and you'll often not get the chance for that "ideal" warm-up.

4. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

once i had a fixture around 9 or 10 in the morning on a saturday. it was singles, in the first set i played really badly, basically had no power, baseline to baseline was mediocre. then...i lost the first set.
    before the second set, a friend of mine helped to massage my racket arm. from shoulder to wrist for about a minute or more. in the second game, my response time was way better than the first set and i regained my energy/power. then i went on to win the second set and brought it to a rubber set, which i forgot the result.
    i think my arm was somehow still "asleep".

5. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    been there, done that (swimming). I know the pitfall of sticking a routine too heavily and messing up if you cant get it done, but i want something i can do.

westwood, thanks for the reply but i definetely dont have a squash court since ill be playing in a high school gym Dx.
    and i hardly think any of my friends will massage my arm for me...

sorry if im rebuking everything your trying to help me with, but i cant really find anything useful yet.
    so far ive tacked down visualization and jumprope, along with some footwork if i can find the space. all wil music pumping. anything else?

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

One thing I've changed is switching from arousing music to calming music. I find that for an important competition, it is easy to pump yourself up mentally but more difficult to come back down from that high energy level. Now, I prefer to start low and increase my energy level as needed.

As for the warm-up itself, I separate this into two parts. First is the general warm-up, which is to increase temperature and get circulation going. Any activity involving moving on the ground (jogging or skipping) is good, just make sure to hit movements in different directions like lateral jogging, carioca, twist skips, etc). That's why I don't think cycling or stair climbing is particularly good - it doesn't simulate the changes in directions and the light feet required to do that. You'll know that you're warm when you start breathing rather heavily and are covered in sweat.

After this initial warm-up, put on your warm clothes if it is cold and wait for your game. Do some light movements (e.g. dynamic mobility exercises) so you don't get too cold, but the emphasis now is on mental prep. Your mind should be focusing in on what you're gonna do, on setting the mood you need to play your best, etc.

As for sports specific warm-up, there are a couple things I find particularly helpful. First is practising the first step in your footwork. Generally I find that if that aspect of your footwork is working well everything will work rather well, whereas if it isn't working well.... things tend to get messy. Similiarly I find that doing many drives helps prepare me to play. I'll generally start them from further back and gradually move closer to the net. Hitting them from further back will prepare you to get used to generating force from your fingers, as well as give a feel for the net height. Doing them from closer in will emphasize the hand-eye coordination aspect as well as the reactive strength qualities of the hand.

7. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

yes, of course they wont. my point is, stretches. massaging the arm stretches your muscles and relaxes it, sth like that. just do stretches, and jog, whatever you want, if you're still not warmed up enough, run a few more laps around the oval or something.
    note that the time of the day affects your warm-up rate as well.

8. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

i usually start of by doing 30 drives then clears then smashes etc. next i try and doing some rallies and then slowly increase the difficulty until we are playing like we would in a normal game. its a great way to great ready for a very difficult game and gets all type of shots warmed for your in game tactics.

9. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    notice how everyone is talking about tourneys, and tourney preparations lol, oh well i got a tourney wensday so i guess im trying to get into the mood also, i keep my warm ups quick but enough to get me really warmed up, usually i can tell when im warmed up enough.

10. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Stretches, stretches, stretches.
    Fast forearms and wrists movements.
    Shadow Footwork.
    That would be enough.

BTW, if you want to prepare for a tourney, the only difference is psychological. Try playing a normal match as if it was a tournament where your life depended on it. Like Dead or Alive ;)

11. apache7175

apache7175 Regular Member

I recently read an article saying that stretching before a game might not be a good idea. Try to play some rallies on court for about 10 mins. That will probably do it.....

12. DarrenHart

DarrenHart Regular Member

Researcher
    dynamic stretching is good. Static stretching probably not so good unless you have a very specific area that you really need to work out.

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

most importantly is some time for yourself (to me at least).
    you're body can eb 100% warm, but fi you keep chatting away right until you play, chances are you're not focussed...

what I do:
    -run a bit, jogging, cross-stepping, just move around
    -stretch (music on?)
    -seek a quiet place, and do some court-footwork (empty squashcourt, dressingroom, or outside, whatever)
    -stretch, move, jog a bit more.
    -get out my squashingracket/trainingracket and warm up my arm, do mroe court-like footwork (no full stepps, don't travel the full 6m of court, just a step)
    -play the game
    -celebrate your win;)

14. Angelofstorm

Angelofstorm Regular Member

Badminton Fanatic
    Mm try to play a few rallies.

Haha Calvin, just rally with me and Jack. I don't suck as much now =P. And besides you swim, you have an assload of stamina that compensates for alot of things.

15. alvinlai

alvinlai Regular Member

Legal Counsel
    As I have recommended earlier in the forum, a mini game with your team mates would help. It helps you get into the spirit of the game without wasting too much energy. Even Lin Dan and Xie Xing Fang had a some hits with each other behind the hall before their finals in AE last year.

16. Glencoclub-Nick

Glencoclub-Nick Regular Member

I too find the same as you. I think that it is more important to be focused than to have adreneline

17. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Practice some footworks. Stretch, drink some water. A hot bath right before a game is nice!! you could try wearing a middle thick jacket while your warming up. Lifting weights a few hours before a match helps. For example just lift the weights for a tiny bit. And choose very very light weights. For exmaple: 5lbs dumbbells. Make sure you stretch!!! And light jobs and skipping helps. Remember it's a warmup!! Don't use 100%, I think 30% should be good.