leg pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by zigatz, Jan 31, 2007.

1. zigatz

zigatz Regular Member

k well i dunno if this has been discussed but im not sure if i have shin splints or not. the pain isnt in the shins but its more on the outer side of the calf every time i play for a long time or do lots of running it starts to hurt and sometimes it gets so bad i have to limp to try and stop the pain. it usually hurts more on the right leg but sometime i get mild pain on the left leg. i havent seen a doctor about this yet. i think all i need to do is stretch it but i have no idea on how to stretch it :confused: any ideas???

- thanks in advance for the help:)

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I do suggest you see a doctor. It sounds like shin splints but I really can't tell.

Try using hot-cold treatments with buckets of ice water and hot water alternating, in the meantime. Also, lots of stretching of all the leg muscles... you most likely wont be able to stretch the aching muscle itself, but limbering up the surrounding muscles will help conduct the impacts of running and aid overall.

3. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Yea, i have this problem too but is much more minor. I have it after training like the next day. It is painful when i press on it or lift my foot up at the outer left shin place. I read it at some site that says its due to running on the toes backwards .

4. sportsdoc

sportsdoc Regular Member

Sports Physician
    It doesnt sound like shin splints. It may be Anterior Compartment or Lateral Compartment syndrome or just myofascial pain due to poor recovery. You need to see your doctor who may be able to diagnose your condition. It is pretty similar to what one of my athlete was having. See my blog at http://sportsnmedicine.blogspot.com.

I would suggest reducing the training load (especially jumping smashes, running). If its sore, ice for 20 minutes and repeat every 4 hourly. You could alternate with a hot pack. You need to rehydrate well before, during and after training. Dont forget to stretch again in the evening after you have rehydrated and relaxed.

5. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    I had a similar problem but it got better after I did some stretches. Here is one stretch you could do.:D

[FONT=HELVETICA, ARIAL][SIZE=+2]Calves[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [​IMG] [FONT=HELVETICA, ARIAL][SIZE=+1]Stretches lower leg muscles in two ways: with knee straight and knee bent. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    1. [FONT=HELVETICA, ARIAL][SIZE=+1]Stand with hands against wall, arms outstretched and elbows straight.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    2. [FONT=HELVETICA, ARIAL][SIZE=+1]Keeping your left knee slightly bent, toes of right foot slightly turned inward, step back 1-2 feet with right leg, heel,and foot flat on floor. You should feel a stretch in your calf muscle, but you shouldn't feel uncomfortable. If you don't feel a stretch, move your foot farther back until you do.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    3. [FONT=HELVETICA, ARIAL][SIZE=+1]Hold position for 10 to 30 seconds.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    4. [FONT=HELVETICA, ARIAL][SIZE=+1]Bend knee of right leg, keep heel and foot flat on floor.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    5. [FONT=HELVETICA, ARIAL][SIZE=+1]Hold position for another 10 to 30 seconds.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    6. [FONT=HELVETICA, ARIAL][SIZE=+1]Repeat with left leg.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    7. [FONT=HELVETICA, ARIAL][SIZE=+1]Repeat 3 to 5 times for each leg.[/SIZE][/FONT]

6. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

well i woldn't really jump into conclusions and start with those exercises as you can't tell what's really wrong with you yet. not everyone has the same problem so healing approach could be different.

let's face it, you're just looking for an excuse not to visit a doctor

7. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

oh, i have something like shin splits while doing footwork drills. what i end up doing during footwork is also using my other leg to stop and that usually takes off pressure on my right leg. i think my friend said im overloading the leg too much so i just came up with a solution. i've seen some pros do it too =). well, i think it kinda makes you slower but it's better than having shin splits don't ya think?

8. sportsdoc

sportsdoc Regular Member

Sports Physician
    Have your podiatrist, physiotherapist or sports doctor have a look at your foot, shoes and gait. I think you will get more information on how to solve your leg pain problem.
    http://sportsnmedicine.blogspot.com