Philippine open

Discussion in 'Thailand Open 2007 / China Open (1) 2007 / Philipp' started by Youngunz_77, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Youngunz_77

Youngunz_77 Regular Member

love to see my country being involved in badminton thats gettin a lil recognition

woohoooo

whos going? (no1) lol

2. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

I watched the last Philippine open. The crowd was quite big particularly during the semis and the finals. I was just disappointed because the star players were not present.
    The Manny Pangilinan cup was much much better. Most of the badminton superstars were there. It was the 2nd year for that cup and is better known as Asia vs. Europe. I don't know the exact dates for 2007. It's an event worth watching since all the big players from Asian countries will be competing with European superstars. 2005 Asia won, 2006 it was Europe. 2007 will be the deciding match.;)

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Unfortunately this year there will be no MVP Cup. but i do guess the players for the 07 Phil Open would be the same like last year. Most of the top players probably will be skipping PO due to preparation for the World Championship in Kuala Lumpur. However i think we can still see some other stars as well during the 07 PO.

Personally i think the PO is much better than MVP cup. MVP Cup is more of an entertainment and exhibiton game. However its good to showcase the world top players.

4. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

Are you sure there will be no MVP cup this year?
    I just hope there will be more top players competing at the Phil. Open. I agree with you that the MVP is not really a tournament but more of an entertainment for badmintion fans. You will see how they play without much pressure. :)

5. ants

ants Regular Member

This year No MVP Cup.

6. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

Thanks a lot Ants.
    I hope Mr. Pangilinan changes his mind.:)

7. nick_d_ninja

nick_d_ninja Regular Member

student at De La Salle University - Manila
    Hello~

I was able to watch last year's PO (Semi-finals) and MVP Cup 2 (Day 1). I just wish that the popular players (LD, XXF, ZN etc) would be in this year's PO; last year's PO lacked luster compared to MVP Cup. ^_^

8. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

Unfortunately, there will be no MVP Cup this year according to our friend Ants from Malaysia. I checked the World Badminton Organization calendar and I guess Ants is right.
    On the upside, maybe the Philippine Cup will be much bigger because of that. Hopefully, the big players will find it worth their precious time.:D

9. nick_d_ninja

Yeah, hopefully they'd drop by in this year's PO. Plus, the tickets at MVP Cup were expensive compared to those of PO. Araneta kasi. ^_^

10. donvito

donvito Regular Member

lawyer
    I am hoping we can showcase a world-class badminton tournament! Mabuhay!

11. nick_d_ninja

This is bad. It is only during MVP Cup do I get to see Lin Dan and Zhang Ning play here. :crying: I wish they'd play on PO...

12. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

Don't feel bad, I think the badminton superstars might be coming to the Philippine Open. This year will be bigger. It has a new name. It's Philippine Gold Grand Prix 2007 scheduled on July 17 to 22, 2007. The prize money is US $ 120,000.00. I hope this would attract the badminton superstars. Wish they keep the ticket prices reasonable. :)

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Personally i think not Many Stars like LinDan, Taufik and others will be playing in PO since it is approaching the World Championship and most of them will be playing in the CHINA Super Series which offer Bigger Prize Money. And the dates is too near as well as the China Super Series end on 15th of July and PO starts on the 17th of JULY. Its too rush for them. However we can still see the younger rising stars of the game in PO. Anyway its in July , still many months to go. Its really up to the coaches weather want to send their top players to PO.

14. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

The dates of the various Gold Grand Prixs are too close to each other. If the basis will be the prize money, what will happen to the Thailand open and the Philippine open considering that the China event will be in the middle?
    Thailand open will be July 3 to 8, China's big event will start on the 10th of July, ends on the 15th. Philippine open starts on July 17.
    China's prize money is US $ 250K, Both Thailand and Philippine open have prize money of only US $ 120K each.
    Let's just hope all the star players will have the enegy to play in all the events to make their fans happy.:D

15. nick_d_ninja

Whoa, for real? cool! This is definitely a must-see event for baddicts here in Manila... ^_^

Would this be enticing enough for LD and other top players to play here? Hopefully. ~~

16. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

After the China open, the superstar players must be tired. Let's just hope they will find the Philippine open attractive enough. May be the prize money is not that big but the badminton crowd here in the Philippines knows how to show how much they appreciate the game.
    By the way, we play badminton almost everyday. Hope to play with you one day. Ciao! :)

17. nick_d_ninja

haha, i was cheering Kennie and Kennevic all the way at last year's semifinals of the PO... it definitely brings back memories. ^_^

18. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I notice that the badminton fans in the ASEAN nations that are not yet dominant in badminton such as Singapore, Vietnam, Philippine really appreciated good games... any good games... any good effort by the players. In Malaysia and Indonesia, even if our player give his/her best efforts yet losing... there are bound to be LOTS and LOTS of critics. Ha ha ha... a lot more sarcasm in the ASEAN so called badminton giants.

I understand that the decades of success resulted in very high expectations... Indonesians always compare the MS players to Rudy Hartono, Liem Swie King, Alan Budikusuma, Harianto Arbi, Taufik Hidayat... Malaysians would compare their MS with Eddy Choong, Misbun Sidek, Lee Chong Wei, etc. It is hard to be compared to those legends... merely good efforts are never enough...

19. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

That was a very keen observation you made. In the Philippines, we always appreciate the efforts given by our players. Win or lose, we are proud of them and would standby them. Nobody wants to lose, there are times your game is simply "off" and you cannot do anything about that. No amount of training and preparation would be able to counter that.
    Sometimes even the best runner stumbbles....:crying:

20. ants

ants Regular Member

True also. But then i realised the crowd that watch badminton in the Phils are Really up for it when their local heroes is play. But when there is no Pinoy players, the stadium is queit.