User Tag List

joseph

Default what's the best string for drop shots?

I'm just wondering, what you guys think is the best string for control, in terms of drop shots. I know not many people like bg68ti cuz it's rather slippery, but i find it has very good control for drop shots. Anyone else feel the same way?

Clive

Default Re: what's the best string for drop shots?

i swear by bg-85. it's a tad pricey and i haven't tried the bg88ti and the more esoteric ones, but i find that bg-85 at around 21lb or 22 lb gives me a LOT of feel for all my shots.

One technique that might help you get a better feel for drop shots is to try them while holding the racquet very very loosely - so loosely that upon impact you can feel the racquet vibrate a little since it's slipping in your hand. if you do this a few times, i personally got a really good feel about exactly how much power i was putting into my drops, vs. how much i needed to put into them.

clive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, BG-85 is excellent for control and feel. I've just tried the BG-88Ti. Initial feel is very impressive. Very sharp touch control. However, it felt 'harder' than the BG-85. Which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your shorts.

One thing to note though is that the spin induced into the shuttle when I try tumble or slice / chop shots is simply incredible ! Definitely stronger than BG-85 in that aspect. But the grouse is that its really pricey and not readily available.

My recommendation are these 2 strings. I string at 23-24lbs by the way and I use the MP-100 SP.

Sony

Definitely, BG85. Very accurate and precise. BG85 is more solid at higher tensions. Not meaning when hitting the bird it feels like hitting a wall but gives good soild impact on contact with the bird. Good soild bang when hitting the bird. When having a good day, if I point the bird to a certain spot when I drop it really gets there fast. Of course, when technique is good that day. Even on a off day, the bird doesn't float on drop shots like other strings I've tried.

Clive

Default Who's this Clive fella

Another Clive? God forbid. Or maybe this fella is just an imposter posing as me!

Clive

Default Re: Who's this Clive fella

Good question, fellow clive !! I'm a grad student at cornell university in upstate new york. what about you ?

clive