Sore & training ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oliviergmar, Feb 2, 2007.

1. oliviergmar

oliviergmar Regular Member

When I wake up the day after a hard badminton training, I feel like my legs are REALLY sore. Then I do my day of work consisting of sitting all day on a chair. At the end of my work day, I don't feel sore anymore.

I'm always wondering if I should go train at the gym or If I should take my day off.

What do you guys do ?

2. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I had that before and sitll do now. It happens after long periods or training.playing. Just take a short rest and use ice for the first 24hours and then heat pad. It works for me and it should work for you too. Good luck!

3. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    muscle feel sore the day after is because your body is in the process of repairing the damaged muscle fibers during excercises.
    And when they rebuild, they become strengthened,
    when they get strengthened, they become less likely to be damanged
    to the same maginitude by the same intensity of the same exercise.
    So the key is to let your muscles to have time to actually heal up and be ready for more action.
    Coaches says its better to keep a routine of going all out one day.. then go slow and easy for a few.. then repeat, till u don't feel sore the day after heavy training no more then its time to move on to increase the intensitity

4. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Chessymonkey is right. However, keep in mind that one you've been at that particular exercise for awhile, your recovery time will be shorter and shorter. Currently you may want to wait for the pain to dissipate, but if you keep your current routine up, you likely will stop having that next-day pain altogether in a surprisingly short period of time, and then you'll be ready to do next-day training.

5. DarrenHart

DarrenHart Regular Member

Researcher
    Sometimes active rest can also help, do your big days and then go for a very gentle run, cycle row etc next day, just to keep blood flowing, always good for flushing some of the residue from a hard work out.

Also are you doing a cool down after your workout ? Stretches ? A post workout hot/cold treatment on your legs can also help prevent soreness the next day.

6. vtdl88

vtdl88 New Member

Dream job? Professional badminton player that get
    My pain used to last 5 whole days :eek::eek:. My coach suggested thorough warm-up and stretching before play. That help!

Another thing that I started doing is to have an ice-pack in my frig. Ice down my muscle after a hard game. That help a lot also.

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i just stretch out after playing, it helps remove lactic acid build up which is a reason for soreness. however i have noticed a few different types of "soreness" one is just when your legs feel heavy and ache a lot. that's jst lactic acid in your muscles. i'd go for gentle jogging and light excersize, if you don't mind, keep training. bt the other one is more painful and you feel like you have no energy left in you, that may be fatigue and best give it a break. it's hard to tell the difference between them but for me, the two are slightly different.

8. vtdl88

vtdl88 New Member

Interesting! Can you explain the lactic acid build up reasoning? Maybe that is part of my problem. Is that because of the food you ate? :confused:

9. DarrenHart

Researcher
    lactic acid is a product produced by the body during highly anaerobic exersise. It basically contributes towards your energy levels in the absence of oxygen. Post training acidic muscles can irritate nerve endings and also the CNS.

However it is converted back to pyruvate once it leave the muscles and gets back into the blood stream which helps re-fuel the body. You just want to get it out of the muscles post training. Hence the sugestions of cool downs (stretching, light jogging, walking) post training, or other post-post training stuff such as hot/cold alternations.

If your training is high intensity then you will be more likely to get a build up of lactic acid.

10. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    There have been many new research that pointing out lactic acid build up plays a very minor role to the sore muscles that only surface after 8-24 hrs post intensive excerises.. and the new believe is that because of the micro
    tears on muscle fibers itselfs that needs repairing leads to the
    post excerise sore feeling, how true is the new beileve, i'm no scientist but
    thats just some info i've googled

11. DarrenHart

Researcher
  12. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
  13. vtdl88

vtdl88 New Member

14. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Stretching is a must before and after any physical activities!!

15. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

yes, agreed with AZN_123Abc. try running for 20 min, my legs were dead after that haha.

16. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    My muscle was swelling till i could barely walk so it was quite bad, if i continue training will it like damage the muscle? Its alreadyi like abit soft and or got smaller abit.

17. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

need to rest for a few days until the soreness is gone. usually it might take two to three days depending on your recovery rate. some only needs a day to recover. it is normal to experience the soreness after a long break from badminton or overstrained during training.

18. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

If your muscle is swollen and you can hardly walk, please stop training. If you do, sooner or later you will get seriously injuried (like torn muscle) because your body have insufficient time to recover.

Rest untill it is no longer painful before resuming training. It is ok to train if you feel a little sore / stiffness that go away after a warm up. However if the pain persist during training, stop immediately.

19. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    I posted this right after i came back from training at very sore muscle. I can see my muscle shape anymore, so i guess its swelling real bad. Ok, thank goodness i didnt tear my muscle that would be very painful and would be out for weeks.

thanks for the info as well as JaCk

20. vivian kon

vivian kon Regular Member

students
    you must be super rajin at training.;)