LCW then Li Mao ,or Li Mao then LCW?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by xymaerts, Feb 3, 2007.

1. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

I had some thought here.. Can we say because of the emergen of the name "LCW" and only we came to know and pay attention on the guy calll "Li Mao" ? Frankly, i think the name "Li Mao" not really knew or caught the attention of many people when he was in Korea 4 years ago.
    The fast grow of the tallented LCW in the badminton areana 3 years ago really caught the attention of many people, then people start to look at who is his coach..
    I truely believe that the salary that Korean pay for Li Mao for his new contract definately more then the salary his got 4 years ago...

Can we discuss this guy?

2. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya...i agree with what you said.A few a ago when Li Mao was in Korea,he is not so well known and we can say almost not many people know him but after he came to Mas and bring up LCW who is very talented and good from 2005 to the upper half year of 2006, Li Mao started to recognised by many media.Anyway,no matter where he choose to go ,we Malaysian thank him a lot as his effort to bring up LCW.Although now LCW form is dropping but i really hope he can come back soon because in my opinion,he is actually a great player.

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I think Li Mao was getting famous when Korea won the Suderiman Cup a few years ago when Lee Hyun Ii upset Chen Hong in MS. He got a lot of credit.

4. liying_0505

liying_0505 Regular Member

Student
    Erm, maybe bcuz im from malaysia, so i heard of the name "lee chong wei" before "li mao". Still, I admire both of them!~

5. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

li mao gets a lot more money in malaysia mainly becuz badminton is a big sport and in korea they tend not to focus a lot on badminton all the time so there payment there isnt nearly as high.

6. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

Not true. Li Mao guided the current Korean 3rd single player Sun Shen Mo won a big match final (not sure is All England or Olympics) before. And he also helped a lot in the emergence of Lee Hyun II. Should he did not leave Korea for Malaysia three years ago, Lee Hyun II should be much more better now.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Procrastination is the deferment or avoidance of an action or task

Greetings,

Here is an article from The Star.

====== start article ======

The Star
    Sunday 4-Feb-2007

Li Mao’s exit is the result of feet-dragging by BAM and NSC

KUALA LUMPUR: Procrastination is the deferment or avoidance of an action or task.

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) and National Sports Council (NSC) are certainly guilty of this, which led to the premature departure of Chinese coach Li Mao.

The two parties were slow to act and Li Mao, whose contract ended last December, was hired by the Korean BA.

Last week, the Chinese decided to join South Korea, leaving the men singles team – especially Lee Chong Wei – in a lurch ahead of the World Championships, which will be held at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from Aug 13-19.

[​IMG] Happier days: Filepic shows BAM president Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh (left) welcoming Li Mao, who was hired as the national coach in 2005. Li Mao has joined the Korean BA and Misbun Sidek (centre) is among the candidates to take over his post.

Now, the BAM are scrambling to find an able replacement among the local coaches – Wong Tat Meng, Misbun Sidek and Rashid Sidek.

Tat Meng, who is the women’s singles coach, has agreed to take care of the men for the time being.

Last month, Li Mao and the other coaches asked BAM why their contract renewal had been delayed and the badminton body pointed their finger at the NSC.

Like all the other National Sports Associations, BAM chose to wait for NSC to announce their plans for the year.

And subsequently BAM sent memos to the coaches telling them to wait until March.

The BAM were, after all, following orders as the NSC are the paymasters for the coaches.

Following the end of the Doha programme last year, NSC are currently in the midst of re-organising their programme and looking into the contracts of the athletes and coaches.

Even the project managers under the Doha programme headed by Damien Kelly don't know what's in store for them.

And one wonders why is it taking such a long time to finalise matters?

China, Australia and other European countries are already in their second phrase of preparing their teams for the 2010 London Olympics.

The “brainstorming” sessions to decide the training programmes for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games (which is only a year away) should have been done before last December's Doha Asiad.

In fact, the coaches should have been appointed immediately after the Asiad, which ended on Dec 15.

Does it really take more than a month to decide whether to hire or fire a coach?

Now, the NSC are waiting for the cabinet committee for sport to approve their major plans.

And it is not easy getting the committee together which, of course, will lead to more delay. Unfortunately that is the sad tale of Malaysian sport – as far as management is concerned.

As for national chief coach Yap Kim Hock, he can only mull about the Li Mao episode.

“If only I was in South Korea, probably Li Mao would not have left,” said Kim Hock, who stayed home due to the poor health of his grandmother.

“I would have persuaded him to stay on. He (Li Mao) has done well with the men’s singles and it is a great loss to our team. But the show will have to go on. “

And there may be more cases of coaches jumping ship if the BAM and NSC and other sport associations continue to procrastinate.

====== end article ======

Cheers... chris@ccc

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

it's all just frustrating and pathetic bureaucracy in malaysia, typical really. i wonder when the attitudes of these government organisations will change ...

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    OK I am coming in a bit late in this, but I have mentioned something similar in a thread last year along the same lines.

LCW came first in my mind no doubt. I think BAM knew they had a talent in LCW and hired Li Mao to bring him onto the next level winning tournaments outside malaysia. But it hasn't happened.

If you look at the tournament results for LCW with respect to the stages he has reached, there is little difference in the results he had since 2003-2006 regardless of who was coaching him.

Fo me Li Mao did not alter his level of play, he altered his stlye of play and attributes. He certainly became faster and more powerful, but lost some of his Deception and skills. He has beaten players he coudn't beat before, but lost to players he could have beaten before.

If LCW can maintain his speed and power, but regain his unpredictability and "X" factor, then he can win a big tournament.

10. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Lee Chong Wei is nothing without Li Mao.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so as misbun...no li mao+ no misbun=no lcw

12. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    When the time Misbun take over from Limao, LCW already amongst the top player in the world.

Look at the player that r coach by Misbun himself.Got anyone that r really in the top?

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    erm...dato...do u know misbun is lcw coach when lm is not coming yet???and even lcw himself wanted to under misbun after lm left..

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Li Mao took over for like 2 years. Bf Li Mao, LCW was with Misbun. LCW almost gave up the sport when Li Mao left. Misbun helped him bring his game up again.
    So it was Misbun -> Li Mao -> Misbun. If want to consider LCW was Misbun's protege 1st :D.
    Li Mao came into the picture when LCW was already polished for futher sharpening. Then LCW's performance fell aft WC 2006, fell some more aft LM left, Misbun took LCW out of the..... deep longkang

LCW learnt good stuff from both of them but personally, for long term, I think Misbun cool & calm personality suits LCW better. If coach 'kan cheong' & scold scold scold, make LCW more "kan cheong".

#14 eaglehelang, Jun 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  15. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Other than LCW, MISBUN is non-producing:D:D

If Li Mao is not here for 2 years coaching LCW, he would definately not will be at his place today.

16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Do you think that Misbun is at the same level to LI MAO?

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ok...let see...after 11-10 break in 1st set...lcw showing no weakness performance against ss...u get what i mean???...but for lm...credit been given for the MO 2006...:D

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think they have contributed to different aspects of LCW's game. Misbun is more physical minded. LM is more tactical. LM doesn't train the player much if the player is not feeling good that day. Kinda frustrating for the player.

At the end of 2 years with LM, LCW's physical game dropped. Changing back to Misbun has given him back a physical edge.

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I wonder if anyone remembers that it was Morten Frost who first spotted a talented youngster named Lee Chong Wei :)

20. mmnoor

mmnoor Regular Member

Good point indeed, Oldhand. Mr. Frost should be credited for discovering LCW. I remembered how Morten lamented the rocky path he has to go through to bring LCW from Penang to KL.

And credit should be given to LCW, because without his own spirit and determination to suceed, no coaches will be able to bring him to where he is now.