The Materials of a Racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Blurry D, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    I have been playing badminton for sometime now, but i have never understood what are the difference of the various compostion of a racket.

For example, what is the difference between High modulous graphite and carbon graphite?

Does it get more stiffness and durability?

One thing i am also curious why doesnt yonex racket have kevlar or woven tech like Yang Yang and SOTX?

I just had a wild idea, Why cant yonex have a Gummetal, muscle power frames, ti mesh with elastic ti, ultimum ti and nano carbon on the shaft?

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, as much fun as I heave reading about badminton-equipment..and the horus I spent reading BC, or talkign to a sotx-rep, the difference is minute..
    here're my thoughts on racket composition, in my usual un-ordened ramblings:

-all modern day arckets are made out of 'carbon' or carbon graphite..with some (patented?) additives..the name they choose for it depends ont he brand, it boiles down to the same thing I guess...

-but, for the company most importantly, it's a way to differentiate their products. Sotx 'became know' with "woven-tec", babolat grew with kevlar, etc. it's markting:p

-the only distingiusable thing for me is the "feel" of the racket. 'Woven' rackets by Sotx feel different when you hit with them. they 'bang' is more solid (not the sound, the hitting-feeling)..it's undescribable..
    Babolats feel a big more 'soggy' than yonex's, also different...yonex's-feel is basically the benchmark:rolleyes:.
    Key-word is "different"..not 'better' or 'worse'..we all interprete stimuli differently, we all have a different taste..

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

Because then, everyone would only get that racquet and their other design's will become obsolete and worth nothing, basically they split the different techs. up for more $$, so basically your racquet is not the best it could be made cause yonex wants more $$ :)

4. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    a really cool idea would be if Yonex made 100 (or less) rackets with all the technology. True collectors racket!

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    For racquet materials, the likes of Yonex, Wilson, etc. do not know much about them. It is the Chemicals boys like Dupont, Toyo, Hoechst, etc. who try their new technologies on a thousand and one applications, including their very tiny badminton application, that are the real inventors. Almost all badminton and tennis strings are made from a Dupont invention. The best and strongest carbon graphite, hi-modulus graphite, and ultra hi-modulus graphite come from Toyo, but they are not cheap.

6. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    Oh well so some of these things are made in the name of marketing and profits... Sad sad sad !!!!

Oh well just an opinion, what do you guys think will be the new technology in rackets other than the ones that are currently exists?

Fiber glass?? hahaha Nuetron carbon graphite? if there is such things haahha lol

7. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

A diamond carbon graphite ftw.
    Diamond combine with carbon and graphite make the hardest substance on earth. geez

8. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

diamond is carbon, and so is graphite.

diamond just has different molecular structure.

9. tomtung

tomtung Regular Member

#9 tomtung, Feb 9, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2007