Cheah Soon Kit Leave BAM???

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ixory, Feb 5, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Disgruntled coach Soon Kit may leave BAM

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Women’s doubles coach Cheah Soon Kit could join men’s singles coach Li Mao in leaving the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).
    Soon Kit said he felt demoralised because his contract, as well as that of the other coaches, had not been renewed since it expired on Dec 31.
    Last week, Chinese coach Li Mao, whose contract also expired on Dec 31, signed up with the Korean BA, leaving the men’s singles squad, led by national No 1 Lee Chong Wei, in a lurch.
    One of the major tournaments coming up for the top national players is the World Championships, which Malaysia will host from Aug 13-19.
    Soon Kit said that he was surprised that there had been no meeting among the coaches since the Asian Games in Doha last December.
    “Discussions and negotiations should take place when contracts come to an end. When I approached the BAM last year, I was told to wait,” said Soon Kit.
    He added that after he had approached them again, the BAM sent a memo asking the coaches to hang on because they were waiting for the National Sports Council (NSC) to announce their new programme for the Beijing Olympics next year.
    “I am confused. Am I working for the BAM or the NSC? None of the BAM officials approached me to explain. There are uncertainties,” he said.
    “In fact, I have not been called for any coaches’ meeting. And we have only six months more to prepare for the World Championships.”
    He added that he was beginning to lose the drive to train the players at the national training centre and might consider leaving the BAM fold, though that would be his last option. “I used to get up early and all fired up to train the girls. But now ...” said Soon Kit.
    Since joining the BAM, he has helped the women achieve good results in the SEA Games and Commonwealth Games. In fact, Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty are the first Malaysian pair to reach the top five in the world.
    “Being a professional coach is one thing but all this uncertainties do not help,” said Soon Kit. Yesterday, BAM general manager Kenny Goh was at the National Gymnasium in Bukit Jalil to have a chat with Soon Kit over his grouses.

Really bad for Malaysia if this trully happen.Who should be blame????:mad:

2. terry

terry Regular Member

Cis, another case!

3. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

this is bad
    li mao already left n now some coaches r uncertain bout their post n BAM is doin nothing?
    just only wait 4 NSC?
    wat is this man?
    BAM should really do sth quick.
    we already lost a good coach like li mao n now soon kit is also uncertain.
    both r good coach n have brought our players to a higher level
    really hope BAM will settle this fast so tat coaches x leave n can carry out their plans early n well since WC is only 6 months away

4. din

din Regular Member

executice
    that's what happened when a sports governance managed by politician...

5. franciswai

franciswai Regular Member

the recent uninspiring performance from the malaysian women doubles in Korean and Malaysian Open might have something to do with this issue...poor thing. politics always kills

6. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    The indirect way of sacking Li Mao/Cheah Soon Kit

i think its the indirect way of BAM asking the coach to leave without actually saying it out. it's almost similar when a gal wana reject a guy would say something like:" i wan to put more time in my career, u will have to wait until i've success in my career"...... BAM said:" pls wait for the answer from NSC......". Its the same thing, i think Li Mao is smart to sack BAM before he got his own arse sacked by BAM.....haaha :D:D:D:D:D

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

nah, i don't think that's true, because it seems to be the same case with all the other coaches, if the article is accurate. so it doesn't seem that BAM is actually targeting CSK and LM.

8. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    i didnt say it's just CSK n LM....mayb BAM wanna change all the coaches this time before 2008 olympic.

9. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i see, that's kinda drastic though ... hmmmm ... i hope they've renewed rexy's contract for the forseeable future ....

10. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

It's still very disgraceful of them - absolutely unprofessional! Unfortunately, there is too much beauracracy and red tape that the BAM have to go through (get it approved internally, get secretary to typeup proposals, send to NSC, NSC think about it, think about it again, approve, then send to sports ministers etc etc etc...[an exaggeration if you like, but you get the gist]) too long winded and inefficient!

If a company was run like that it would be out of business in no time at all.

It would be better run if the NSC allocates BAM and other sports bodies a lump of cash each, and get the individual organisations to manage them as they see fit, rather than batting it back and forth.

Unfortunately, as long as politicians get involved, things will take a helluva long time to get resolved.

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I don't blame Li Mao actions as well as Soon Kit's current disastifaction over BAM. Even BAM have the intention of re-signing Li Mao, but they didn't assure Li Mao about it. Now same thing is happening again and Soon Kit is warning BAM. But from what i see, i don't think Soon Kit is going to leave BAM. After his meeting with BAM's General Manager, everything seems to cool down a little. However BAM needs to make decision fast and i mean FAST! Before everyone leaves.

This is definately not good as World Championship and the 2008 Olympics thay is approaching. Having new coaches and with the current problems may affect the players momentum. But i do sincerely hope everything will go well. I don't care about BAM but i care about their player's and coaches welfare.

12. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

BAM assures coaches on contracts
    KUALA LUMPUR: National women’s doubles coach Cheah Soon Kit can now look forward to better working arrangements with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).
    Yesterday, the BAM gave assurances to national coaches that concerns over their contracts would be solved by next week.
    The contracts of several coaches have not been renewed although they had expired on Dec 31.
    One of them, singles coach Li Mao, has left to join the Korean BA.
    The BAM a waiting for decisions from the Cabinet committee for sports’ meeting on Thursday before looking into the contracts.
    New BAM general manager Kenny Goh said after attending a 45-minute meeting with the National Sports Council (NSC) in Bukit Jalil here on Tuesday that they would come out with short- and long-term plans to beef up their coaching set-up.
    The meeting with the NSC deputy director Datuk Zolkples Embong, head of coaching division Lam Fei Eng and consultant Mohd Sheikh Kamaruddin Sheikh Ahmad was held to discuss Soon Kit’s concerns over his future as a national coach.

from the star

after so much uncertainties only BAM take some action.
    i cant belive tat BAM x do nything bout d coaches' contract after it already expired about a month.
    what is this?
    well sad 2 say this is how some malaysians do things:(
    i guess BAM took d coaches for granted n now they had their lesson with li mao already left.
    i agree with ants that BAM hav 2 do sth real fast.
    dont delay anymore.
    d faster this problem is solve the better it is 4 d players.
    hope they will choose a good new coach 2 replace li mao.
    i think rashid would be good

13. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Finally they wanna take some action.Why they had to wait until coaches are fed up and wanna quit then take action.If they are really care about their mission bring back champion this and next year,this thing shouldn't happen.

14. liying_0505

liying_0505 Regular Member

Student
    Haizzz....Malaysia's system.....
    How come???? Cant they just make things work faster?
    If things are still like that, our country's badminton will die..........
    Dissapointed......

15. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    If things are to work out this way, the politicians will have no money to fill in their own pockets already.:D:D:D But who is there to guarantee tat the coaches wont b filling their own pocket with the money too, right?

Malaysia would have been a paradise without corruptions. :(:(:(

16. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    im wondering is there a possibility to privatise BAM??? when its not a government body anymore, then things will tend to work faster......haihhhhh, im ashamed be a malaysian everytime we talk about the Malaysia Boleh SYSTEM..... sadly its not Malaysia Boleh CEPAT SYSTEM, just Boleh only.....

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic-Actually..

..I think, a lot of countries, esp. other 3rd world countries "would have been" *much different*(wouldn't really call it "paradise";)) without corruptions...But then, we're talking abt an ideal, "perfect", Utopian-type world, which of course will never happen; at least very highly doubtful..:rolleyes: :(:p

#17 ctjcad, Feb 7, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  18. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    sorry, correction, hehehe......would have been much much much much much different.