User Tag List

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Channarong Ratanasaengsuang was one of the first batch of Thai badminton players that the late great Wong Peng Soon, invited by the King of Thailand, helped Thailand to build up. Prior to this period badminton was never heard of in Thailand. Channarong was a pretty good player, having whitewashed the top English players and even the famous Danish Finn Kobbero in the All England in the early 1960s, only to lose to Earland Kops in the final. He and Earland Kops toured Canada in the 1960s, with the former deciding to stay. But in the early 1960/61 Thomas Cup Finals, he was beaten by Indonesia's Tan Joe Hock and FA Sonneville.
    There were no World Championships at that time.

VERY GOOD History lesson there. Yes, you are right that Chan stayed behind and became the coach at the Glencoe. I'm sorry if I was off on the World Champion designation. Everybody around the Glencoe referred to him being champion but you are quite correct in that there was no WC at that time.
    Last edited by eggroll; 03-04-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sabathiel
    Yes I talk to Ardy frequently. He is a coach at the Glencoe club here in Calgary. I stop by there once a week as part of my job and he is a pleasure to speak to and work with. I also am friends with Channarong Rattannasangsueng.(sp?) He was a former world champion and is now retired from his role as head professional at the Glencoe. Chan, as he was called, is one of the most genuine and nicest men I have ever met. His example has shaped many lives and he effected myself by his example. Of note Chan doesn't like the new scoring much either as it may be good for television but the loss of the stategy is being dropped in favour of power and attacking. Chan felt that was what doubles was for.
    Isn't Ardy also the coach of the Canadian national team?

I have never heard of this Channarong Rattannasangseung. Where is he from? I am sure if he was a former world champion I would have heard of him. What world champion was he of?[/QUOTE]

Yes Ardy is one of the coaches of the National Centre at the Glencoe Club. In effect he is a National Team coach but the system here has the players scattered around the country in clubs so there is no home base for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eggroll
    Isn't Ardy also the coach of the Canadian national team?

I have never heard of this Channarong Rattannasangseung. Where is he from? I am sure if he was a former world champion I would have heard of him. What world champion was he of?
    Yes Ardy is one of the coaches of the National Centre at the Glencoe Club. In effect he is a National Team coach but the system here has the players scattered around the country in clubs so there is no home base for them.[/quote]

hmmm......Ardy Wiranata, one of my favourites when i was small. still remember his cute little face, and especially when he had long hair, he looked abit like hamster.....hehehe Another hero of mine was Hariyanto Arbi, and i have always felt that he was one of the sifu of today's attacking game in MS (before he got injured in his knee).....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Sabathiel! I saw Ardy this morning and I mentioned your reference to his nemesis at 15 years old and he wondered who that was and if he might know your name as well. Pm me so I can relay to Ardy who you and your friend are! We chatted about the conversation here on the forum and he reiterated his dislikes, and mine, about the new version of singles.

Ardy was getting ready to coach a bunch of juniors in a tournament at my club and as usual he was smiling and looking forward to another great day of badminton!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eggroll
    Hey Sabathiel! I saw Ardy this morning and I mentioned your reference to his nemesis at 15 years old and he wondered who that was and if he might know your name as well. Pm me so I can relay to Ardy who you and your friend are! We chatted about the conversation here on the forum and he reiterated his dislikes, and mine, about the new version of singles.

Ardy was getting ready to coach a bunch of juniors in a tournament at my club and as usual he was smiling and looking forward to another great day of badminton!
    and you call that work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    and you call that work?
    lol

I <3 Chan he was one of my favorite teachers when i was a young lass.
    I hope if i get to his age, I'll be as upstanding as he
    I should pop by to say hello if he still frequents Glencoe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin
    lol

I <3 Chan he was one of my favorite teachers when i was a young lass.
    I hope if i get to his age, I'll be as upstanding as he
    I should pop by to say hello if he still frequents Glencoe.
    how old is Chan by the way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alfa2
    how old is Chan by the way?
    i think he should be early 60's by now.
    mind you, i know quite a few players that are 70-80ish and still going strong lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can LCW become a better player if he is to play like KKK/TBH by having more agressive attacking play, flat drives? Instead of giving his opponents more chance to attack him. Attack is the best defence.
    Last edited by alfa-2; 03-23-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way i see why LCW has lost his rhythm lately is not due to his pressure but others have improved alot in their attacking play. His secret formula has already been cracked by others esp the Chinese.

LCW has to change his play of amazing saves and counter attack.....into more aggressive attacking play, he needs powerful smashes like LD n TH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just watch some badminton clip on youtube. search for "crazy badminton" at www.youtube.com.

that's the reason why badminton is the most tiring racquet sport in this world and all the professional players are underpaid. amazing.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alfa-2
    The way i see why LCW has lost his rhythm lately is not due to his pressure but others have improved alot in their attacking play. His secret formula has already been cracked by others esp the Chinese.

LCW has to change his play of amazing saves and counter attack.....into more aggressive attacking play, he needs powerful smashes like LD n TH.
    i agree with you. LCW does not start to attack first but prefer to wait for his opponent to attack first. then LCW will start diving all over his court and the spactators will clap. LCW must stop his defensive and counter attack style. He need to attack first and must improve his smash too. Lin Dan is improving everyday..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if LCW can improve on that particular area.....i believe he can be back on the league with the top ones soon.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as we can see, many top players are aggressive players, not stroke or defensive player. LCW must improve on his attacking play. if not, he will lag behind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will Simon and Sony be playing at ABC???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alfa-2
    will Simon and Sony be playing at ABC???
    i think they will cos i remember Choon Hann saying he is waiting for revenge in ABC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kkakakaakaka.....im so happy that WCH has the spirit of a champion. Proud of him.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast