how do u tumble the shuttlecock???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chrismar, Feb 8, 2007.

1. chrismar

chrismar Regular Member

student
    how do u make the shuttlecock stumble?????

i was wondering how players make their shuttlecock stumble???? when they want to place the shuttlecock near the net or when they lounge.... so that it makes hard to their oppenent to return back?? hope you guys can help me....:confused: :)

#1 chrismar, Feb 8, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  2. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

You slice the bird across, with the racket face more or less horizontal, with a slight curve movement.

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

should be tons of articles if you search

4. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

takes a lot of practice as well just like anything in life.

5. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Tumbling net drop

There's a free sampler pdf file that touches on this:

go to http://instructoons.com/book/ and click on "FREE! download "Tactics: Deception at the Net Sampler""

6. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

push the shuttle lightly with your racket face almost ( i said almost ) 180 degree

7. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
  8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A lot of people at my club tend to use only the horizontal slicing motion, relying on the shuttle to bounce off the racket. This will never work: there has to be some sort of movement of the racket head in the direction of the shot!

The wrist break is important as well, as without it the shot will spring off the racket and be loose.

9. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
  10. madman

madman Regular Member

Easier for a Chinese to do a tumbler. We use a wok (a Chinese frying pan) in our cooking, so we would do this shot as if we were frying on a wok. In Singapore, we call this "Char Koay Teow" or "Fried Rice Noodle". Perhaps you should see how a Chinese cook use the wok......:D

But seriously, the tumbler shot is executed by forward racket motion as if you were stabbing someone in font of you, with the racket head lower than the handle. When the bird is about to touch the racket, you "dig up" your racket with the pivot point (the point where there is no or very little motion) in the middle of the shaft. You then follow through. This will make the bird spin over the net and drop into your opponent's court very tightly. Usually, if executed perfectly, there is no way you opponent can even reach the bird, or if she does, she will have a hard time returning the bird accurately. Good luck with the frying......:eek:

11. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Check the links mentioned. There are at least 3 types of tumblers. madman does a good job of describing 1 of these.

#11 SystemicAnomaly, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  12. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Haha, yes, my coach tried to teach me the 'char koay teow' before.. unfortunately I never mastered it. But hey, the last time I tried to cook 'char koay teow'(literally), it wasn't exactly successful... what more my netting? :rolleyes:

Just practice it a lot. Learn to control the strength, just practice getting the 'tumble' in the shuttle, then only try to get it tight.

I got as far as the tumble part. Crossing the net? :p

13. madman

madman Regular Member

.......I had a nasty experience before in fying the "koay teow". I tried to be smart by tumbling the bird very tight by lifting it slightly higher than usual but very close to the opponent's net. Guess what, he was so fast and the next time I know was my puny little skull nearly split in two when he whacked the bird at my face........:mad: So, I got fried instead......:eek: So, it can be a life threatening shot if not executed carefully.:eek:

14. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    At least it wasn't your eye.. I got smashed in the right eye before... trust me, my reflexes(ducking, turning away, running away) have been extraordinarily fast since then... ;)

Yes, be careful when frying koay teow.. it may very well explode in your face... :eek: But when it works.. *contented grin*

15. Stealthboy

Stealthboy Regular Member

I.T.
    Fencing stab

I can tumble it but sometimes in the heat of battle it requires a cool head to do so. The way I do it is like fencing, you stab forward with the racquet face not quite horizontal so it has just enough angle to get the shuttle over the net (12 O'clock being the lowest point). So you are under the shuttle making it travel forward spinning in a clockwise motion. I have not totally mastered it but it is coming along.

If that's any help:)

16. thambert

thambert Regular Member

to add to the others whos doing a great job describing how to tumble the net shots, i recommend u to do a slow mo review( if u have) of some great china players who can simply tumble ANY near-to-net shots , including those almost at the service line :eek:. Ye zhaoying is one of the masters of tumble net shots, be it forehand or backhand, high or low net shots. watching her spin the shuttle so nicely is a joy to watch :) others i like include zhang ning(forehand tumble), zhao jianhua(backhand tumble), camilla martin, taufik hidiyat, chen hong(fh).

my experience and observations(assuming u already know roughly the basics to tumbling)
    One observation i have made from watching all these players' slow mo videos of them tumbling, is that u will notice the shuttle makes contact with the racket stringbed at the area between lower left ,lower right corner or the area at the 6 o clock position for forehand and backhand tumble net shots and all at a slight angle(not totally horizontal)Especially for ye zhaoying, she spins n tumbles most of her shots using mostly the very lower left or very lower right areas of the racket stringbed. so after watching, i went n try it out for a few sessions. My usual forehand tumble is like rather slow n lack rotation so i tried changing the contact areas to the ones i observed from the players and to my suprise, it was so much easier and the spin n rotation i got was much more:eek: Now in process of practising and making it consistent :D.

hope the above plus the other descriptions from other bc members can help u enjoy tumbling more. :p cheers !