Need Help on Smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by g20816, Feb 9, 2007.

1. g20816

g20816 New Member

Student
    Hi,
    everyone, i've just become the member of the BC:) After today's varsity practice, however, I just realized how "flat" my smash is. By flat, I mean it does not achieve an angle at all, it could simply be blocked by anyone of my relative level. Yet my smashes aren't always flat, sometimes i get a pretty good and decent angle smash , but most of the times I do not produce a effective smash that forces a weak return. I would like to consistently (by consistenly, I mean hitting it more than 90%) smash with good angles and sufficient power. I hope the shuttle could land around 2/3 of the length of the court if possible. So, could anyone give my any advice on how to improve smashes and make them more angled, rather than just power but with little efficiency? Any suggestion and comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Andy

2. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

stand behind the shuttle a little bit.. with the shuttle in front of u .. u can get a better angle.. if u hit the net keep trying until u get the " perfect " angle.. btw welcome to bc

3. morewood

morewood Regular Member

"my smashes wont go down"
    normally its either that your standing a bit far forward - (the shuttle is over you)
    or your racquet isnt in the downward stroke when your making contact

Now to fix the first is easy half a step back or try to only smash as your moving in to the net.
    Second part if your playing the classic smash stroke you probably need to accelerate your wrist movement.

4. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    this takes practice, also your wrist will control where angle, if you bend your wrist its a smash(depression of shuttle), if you leave it straight it should be a clear

5. killersmash

take the shuttle at the highest point so u can get a better angle

6. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I agree with this. However, make sure you don't go too far behind the bird, or this will give away to your opponent that you are going to smash... after all, your smash/drop/clear should look virtually identical from a form point of view.

Since your smashes are working most of the time, I think this is just a practice and consistency issue. However, there is the strong possibility that it might be footwork related. Here's how you can tell...

Do a smash/lift drill with a friend, just waiting for the bird and smashing. If those are all going at the angle you'd like, then it's probably that your footwork is not allowing you to get behind the bird. In that case, I suggest you work on your footwork.

7. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

try to swing your body forward when you jump while running backwards. you can then push of quickly in case of a weak net return and then kill it. also use your wrist to get a greater angle on the bird.

8. killersmash

-.- let him learn the basics first... den he can go on to do tricks or fakes. back to the topic... ask ur coach / fren to give u 1/2 or 3/4 court high serves and u practise getting the angle right... if u hit the net dun stand too far behind the shuttle

9. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

okay, well i thoguht my smashes were pretty good until the new guy came and played, i believe hes in the leagues or something like that. he had great angle smashes. i was wondering when you smash what degree of an angle should the birdey be on and should it line up with your arm or should the birdey be close to your body. I saw his smashes were fast and on a great angle, when he smashed he made his wrist to almost an 90 degree, are you suppost to do that when you smash?

10. g20816

g20816 New Member

Student
    Thanks, everyone

Hi,
    everyone, I really appreciate you guys' comments and valuable suggestions. After playing today and using those comments on smashing technique, I realized that angle comes naturally when I have the correct downward point of contact when I smash. after all, thank you guys soo soo much.

Andy :)

11. morewood

morewood Regular Member

As steep as you can without hitting the net is the idea, so from near your own base line probably about 10 degrees, from right by the net almost vertical (85 degrees).