Toronto/Richmond Hill, the 14-15

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by westwood_13, Feb 10, 2007.

1. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I'm coming to Toronto from the 13-15th, and will be staying in Richmond Hill. I'm an A level junior. I was wondering if there's anyone interested in a few exhibition games or can hook me up with places to play. My club is affiliated with the B&R and Granite, but I a) don't want to venture that far and b) have no white shorts.

Any takers?

2. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Richmond hill is close enough to those clubs I believe...lol maybe 10-20 min drive? Nayways, there's always the Mandarin Badminton club that has a lot of good players, but it's usually quite busy

3. Player13

Player13 Regular Member

Well, i would say 20-25 mins driving by highway, and if parking doesnt become a hassle, from RHill to Dtown.

Will ask around mr WW

4. westwood_13

Student
    no takers?

...sadness...

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Come to Melbourne, Australia, Alana from Winnipeg

Hi westwood_13,

So sad for you. :(

When you get a chance to come to Melbourne, Australia...... please cotact us. :):):)

We would love to accommodate you @CCC Badminton.

chris@ccc

#5 chris-ccc, Feb 12, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    poor westwood, it's so cold in winnipeg that she escape to 'wamer' toronto for a temporary winter break:D hehe

7. westwood_13

Student
    heh, i wish. actually, it's for summer job interviews... i'm extremely excited!!!

8. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

Hey there westwood13,

I'd say come to Mandarin BC located in Markham which isn't that far off from Richmond Hill (I live there myself too). There are 2 courts reserved for the senior team on Wed/Fri from 8-11pm...national juniors training from I think 6-8pm. I think I saw you back at the Toronto Open (if memory serves...I didn't play, just watched). If you come, you will have to pay the guest fee of $10.60(??) and if they ask you which team member signed you in, you can just tell her it's Ken Wu (me). I will only be there on Friday albeit a bit late...not sure if I'll be there on Friday since there's a tournament this weekend at Durham and I don't play on Thursday...maybe someone else might offer to join you on Thursday/Friday?

9. samman

samman Regular Member

Just an update,... guest fee at Mandarin now is $12.00 + GST. :(

10. westwood_13

Student
    If this forum wasn't such a wonderfully friendly place I'd say that's even slightly creepy, heh. So what time would you recommend I come?

Also if anyone wants to play Thursday during the day, let me know?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

11. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

Whoops...typo, I meant I'd only be there on Wednesday night and not Friday as I had previously typed. I would suggest that if you want to get your money's worth to get there for 8pm since that's when the junior training ends...you can then play until 11pm. Note that there's no one there to really enforce the rules, however, it is an unwritten rule that you play one game (2 sets) and then you rotate off on courts 3-6. Courts 1-2 are normally used for training and/or 20 minute rallying around with friends (not enforced).

12. westwood_13

Student
    Yeah, tomorrow from 8-11 I'd be able to go. And there'd be people for me to hit with? I'm now in Toronto and have computer access, if perhaps you could email me at westwood_13@hotmail.com... and possibly with the address of the place?

Thank you so much!!!

And again, if anyone wants to play anyplace during the day on Thursday, let me know!

13. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

very unlucky.... even though schools and jobs are closed too much snow to go anywhere.... especially without cars.:crying:

14. tcyc1984

tcyc1984 Regular Member

Just don't want to make you disappointed by the badminton players in Toronto, if you are interested in drop-in for thursday afternoon 12-2pm at Armadale CC (hope its not too far away from your place, heres the site http://www.markham.ca/markham/channels/RecServ/programs/dropin_acc.htm ), feel free to give me a PM. Usually in the afternoon session there will be many older but skilled badminton players overthere (I'm not one of those, anyways thats another story... ), hope you gonna enjoy =)

15. westwood_13

Student
    Just wanted to shout out a HUGE thank you to Jason. I had a fantastic, fantastic time playing for six hours today and challenging all those good guys to singles games, heh.

And also thanks to Danny and what's-his-name (started with a V) who were so nice. And of course the 70 year old who a) schooled me and b) coached me well despite a complete lack of english. I forgot his name, too. I'm terrible with names.

Next time I'm in Toronto, I am MOST DEFINITELY coming back!!!! Mandarin is awesome, I wish I had the funds/clientele to start up something like that in Winnipeg!

16. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

Great to hear that you had a great time! Sorry we couldn't meet up yesterday but maybe next time you're back we could play. Is Danny the older fellow (around 40'ish) with short buzz cut and a goatee? The 70 year old...sounds like Master Liu...does he have a forehand slice-type serve? The only other Master we have at Mandarin is Master Purple Shorts (tm) due to his coloured shorts ahahha!!

17. markhamplayer

markhamplayer Regular Member

hello Westwood, I hope you have a wonderful stay at Mandarin BC. Yes, the olded guy was master Liu, he is very deceptive at play, not very powerful but plays very smartly. The younger guy was Vernon, he is a very nice guy too.
    Anyhow, you are more than welcome to the Club. Have a nice stay in Toronto.