I'm A Short Player, Playing Against A TALL Player. Help!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by magiadam, Feb 13, 2007.

1. magiadam

magiadam Regular Member

My smashes aren't that powerful but I can clear and sure drop, in corners.

The problem is, is only during the rally. For a serve, I would serve it really high and dropping down, or a short serve. It's during the rallies. I would clear it, and all he has to do is stick his arm out and jump and he reaches it. He has much LONGER legs than me and can get anywhere really well, luck footwork as I call it.

And I'm having trouble with this guy, his footwork is easier and I take shorter steps making me more tired. I have tried tiring this guy out by dropping and clearing in opposite corners and simulating but he gets to every shot.

He's never played badminton before and I have for about two years, it's so embarassing to say.

I don't know, what can I do?

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    work on your smash. if he hasnt been playing badminton that long his smash returns ought to be bad. Also, try force a net game where you can probably pull of some fakes/tricky shots to mess him up
    is all esle fails, continue what your doing except focus on his foot work and put all your thought into anticipating what he is anticipating you to do, and hit it to the opposite cornerr, that'll get him tired even if he reaches it.

3. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Try a lot of driving shots to the corners, he probably wont know how to deal with them. If they don't work, then revert to high defensive clears to push him right to the back... he'll be unused to that as well.

4. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

In general, there are two things that should be considered when playing tall people.

Firstly, make sure your clears are high enough. Attacking clears are good and well, but if your opponent can cut them off, you will simply be making life hard for yourself.

Secondly, tall people are, by and large, less comfortable taking shots around the body. This is especially true of shot across the body - eg try to direct your smashes across them (but not necessarily a full cross-court smash). There will always be exceptions, but it's always worth a shot when you play someone tall for the first time.

Wayne Young

5. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent Regular Member

Student
    chop and punch.
    chop means a very tight drop, pulling him front.
    if he blocks the shot, punch crosscourt. a punch is like a lift but it is low and fast.
    if he nets, net even tighter focing him to give a half-court lift and then smash!!!!!!
    if he lifts, chop again, keep doing this till he blocks or nets.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    there's alot that can be done but all in all, it's just nature, you like me, have inherited the miget gene and so, will have to work harder than those bigger than you but when you do beat them, it will feel twice as good cos you know you've done well. so......work hard for what nature took off you :)

7. morewood

morewood Regular Member

If hes that much taller than you close net drops are your best weapon, its a long way for him to get down and pick up without gifting you a net kill.

8. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

the secret is

all you have to do is change the game to a jabbing game hit all of your shots flat beacause hes tall you hv to hit the shuttle to his body inorder to win.

9. Adone

Adone Regular Member

Student
    If he's never played before, shouldn't his clears be like crap? I don't know anyone who can do at least an ok clear first time playing the game.

10. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i dunno aye, some people have this natural feel for it. i played for 2 years and never learnt what pronation was until i got a coach, on the other hand, my friend picked up a racket and started playing awesome straight away.

11. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

when i first started playing i couldnt even hit the birdie let alone doing clrear :( :eek:

12. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Use fast drive against a taller player.. Helps a lot.. Trust me.. The condition is, you must be good in fast low drive..