Slow Mavis 370 vs. Middle Mavis 300

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by St00pid, Feb 14, 2007.

1. St00pid

St00pid Regular Member

Since middle-speed Mavis 300 are the most commonly used plastic shuttlecocks over here... I was wondering how it compares to a slow-speed 370. (In terms of speed and durability)

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. hardeep_21

hardeep_21 Regular Member

I have used the medium speed Mavis 370, and it is by far the best plastic shuttle i've EVER used! :D

3. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

IMO, slow speed 370 is closer to feather speed. Very durable. I can't compare with 300 since they are supplied by school and get abused a lot, while I use my own 370 and naturally last longer.

4. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Medium speed 300's fly pretty fast, with more of a parabolic/projectile motion compared to a parachuting motion of a feather (i.e. diagonally up and then near vertical downward motion).

The 370's flight is quite close to a feather, but I've only used the medium speed ones, so can't comment on the slow speed.

Durability wise, the 370 edges it. The 300 skirts can get deformed quite easily, resulting in a spinning shuttle. However, the 300s can still last around 2-4 games of mens doubles before the skirt starts tearing. the 370's probably last around a game more as a minimum.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think mavis 300 and 500 are most durable
    the 350 and 370 are must less durable

in order
    500, 300

that's why yonex sells more mavis 300

#5 cooler, Apr 23, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  6. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

We only get the 300's and 370's in the UK, but from playing with them, personal opinion is that the 370 are slightly more durable skirt-wise, but think the corks are about the same. Maybe different batches give different durability:confused: ? Anyone else have any thoughts?

I think the reason why yonex sells more Mavis 300's is because it's good value for money(a.k.a. cheap and cheerful :p ) and widely available, even in chain stores?

7. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Yep certainly, although not as much of a problem in QC with Yonex Plastic Shuttles as Carlton Shuttles.

Per dozen 300's (or 370's) we tend to throw 8 or 9 in the bin due to skirts splitting and 3 or 4 away due to head seperation. Still a couple of dozen Mavis tend to last about 60 playing hours where in a competition your looking at a Dozen Feathers in 4 hours.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the 350 and 370's have those tiny shirt tips that can split or break off easily.
    the 300's doesnt have that.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23314&highlight=370

yes, the 370 does have more plastic in the central area but outer tips break fast. So, it depend on individual view on durability.

Moderator, please combine thread if possible

#8 cooler, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  9. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I agree that the 300's are less durable but they have a nicer feeling upon impact. The 350's and 370's do react a lot like feather but the feeling is just not there.

We usually use 350's to practise offensive plays. The reason is because they don't fly as fast as the 300's, so you can't just power your way through, or at least not as easily.

The 300's are good when you want to practise your defense and reaction as they're a bit quicker so you'll have to be on your toes a bit more.