User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BG85 lifetime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: another theory

since i string racket, i like to add to here what i've observed. One client of mine (B player, plastic shuttle play) i have strung bg85 (23-24 lb)on his ti sp sx for the past 1.5 years. He play twice a week, all double games. Durability is about 2.25 to 2.5 months

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i forgot to convert that in hour of playing time: 3 hrs x 2 x 9.5 weeks less 20% for waiting for courts ~ 45 hrs of play time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheung,

what's important is not the stringer but how he does it. The waxing part before pulling in the cross strings is very important in my opinion. It can mean about 50% and more difference in the durability of the string actually! Given all else being equal that is : racket condition, technique, string tension etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gladius, do u use other string beside bg85?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Gladius mentioned that the strings last 40 hours of playing.
    Cooler said that one of his client used it for 45 hours!! That's even longer!
    One things to note as well is that Gladius plays doubles most of the time while you play singles mostly, so this may be also why his strings last longer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But then again, 3.5 hours of usage only is really amazing!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Other strings?

Yes,

BG-65, BG-66, BG-80, BG-68Ti, Gosen Hy-Sheep Micro, Hy-Sheep Gold. Ashaway CrossFire over the years. And yes also Pacific. Basically I moved on as I found some better stuff or experimented whenever I had the chance.

Most of the strings were not to my satisfaction hence the change. Especially the Pacific one .... strung once and wasted my money ... Felt really bad...

I moved onto the BG-85 and has not looked back since. My predominant racket, the MP-100 is now using the BG-88Ti which some one got from Hong Kong. Well, after almost of month of trying ( 6 -8 sessions ) it feels good ! I would like to have a second try on it before deciding whether to use it on the long term basis as its pretty expensive.

In many ways, its on par or better than the BG-85. But yet in terms of soft touch, its still not as good.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: another theory and Bg 80

Maybe I should do some more similar experiments.

Remember I said I'd try out BG80?
    The racquet I have used three times already has some strings showing a slight degree of fraying. One doubles session (two hours), one singles session(approx 2 hours, one training session (approx one hour).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Waxing, Gladius, Cooler, Kelvin

Gladius,

Could you describe the method of waxing strings again? Can't find the description you put up a while ago.

Cooler & Kelvin...is this a method you do when stringing?

And Kelvin, you use BG 85. I remember you said you had a hard smash. How long does BG85 last for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Waxing, Gladius, Cooler, Kelvin

Man, if ur strings Fray immaterial of what u do then there are only 2 theory's To it!

Either ur teh hardest smasher that i haev heard of or the roll of string that teh stringer used was a Fake!

It is simply not possible for a string to fray so soon. As to waxing what we do is when we open teh string packet we wax the whole string when we pre stretch it!

Then we wax it again whne we gut it!

But then i have no Idea whether it is teh right way to do it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

modius, that bg85 client of mine plays double. That extra 5 hrs is within error of estimation. I would say the estimated 40 hrs from gladius and 45 hrs from that client of mine mean that the bg85 performed similarly in our cases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellet point on the singles vs. doubles play. Singles you hit the shuttle a lot more than in doubles, because you have to play every shot.

I dont run the string through wax before I string, because it gets too messy. Cooler and I have seen that one person actually applies a soft wax to his strings after his play for the night... now I'm actually one to think that its not really helping when he applies wax after the racquet has been strung, but I do know that it does help during the stringing process.
    I did ask a while back about this same thing... whether or not it is helpful in prolonging string life, but I guess the same holds true as with racquet durability. If we hit the wrong spot it will break.

BG85 does not really last very long for me either. (I'll be lucky if I can use my racquet, and the strings for a couple of weeks, even on my backups, before I need to restring them... for me i've wasted a lot of string doing this.)
    I cant really explain why...

I had 3 of the same racquet. At first I strung them all at the same tension, give or take any small variations, I would usually just use the one racquet, for some reason that one that was in use would actually hold the tension longer than the racquets not in play.

My strings will start to fray if I play heavily, as I'm not really that bad anymore where when I was younger, I'd hit the area between the racquet frame, and the main string bed and just break my strings. However I think you are correct when you mention that the string doesn't last as long. BG80 played the same way for me, if not better than the 85s during its life span. Could it be due to the thickness of the string as well??? BG66 does not last very long for me either. Sometimes I notice that the string bed bounces a bit too much, which could lead to more "cutting" of the strings into one another, and causes the string to break sooner.
    These are some of the things I have noticed so far. If and when I do enter tournaments I think I will just use BG65, and string it tight for that particular day(s), and the rest of the time use another string either 80, or 88ti to help me in my development.
    -Kelvin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first, i think kelvin strung his bg85 at ~ 28 lbs, so it wont be a good comparision.

wax
    I don't use wax as i am getting good durability from each respectively BG's string strung for myself and clients. Waxing also defeats the little advantage left from synethic string over natural gut. That's why some people don't like Ti coated strings. When your bg85 lasted only 3.5 hrs while gladius and my examples lasted ~ 40+ hrs, i think cheung's bg85 problem is beyond the issue of wax or no wax.

YES, i agree waxing would extend string life a bit, it is also meant to compensate stringer who want to speed up his job or compensate his other carelessness( and i don't mean u gladius as i know u want to extend the string life), i don't have these problem. I don't want to sound cocky but if my stringing don't last longer than other stringers, i will lose my all my clients.

Siu in London

Default Re: BG85 lifetime

Guys,

I've been reading with anticipation about whether anyone has spotted something obvious about string setups??? Qu'est que c'est, Monsieur???

Fundamentally when studying the lifespan of types of strings you must look at the variables other than just string tension. For starters let's be more objective about things:

1) Every stringing machine will be calibrated differently. Only the most expensive types tend to be consistent. For example, try stringing two identical racquets with identical strings using two different machines. I can guarantee that 9/10 times what you think is 25lbs on one machine will turn out different on another. I have experienced a differential of + or - 3lbs. This is a huge difference since you could be as much as 6lbs out depending on what machines have been used. So it's really pointless trying to compare tensions when they've been strung by different people on different machines at different times.

2) A Strings elastic poperties (tension) will change under differing climate conditions of warm or cool. Simple test:- with identical racquets, leave one racquet in a cool place overnight (e.g. garage or non-insulated loft) and then the other in a warm place (near a radiator). If you play with them the next day, you'll notice that the racquet stored in a cold location will feel very tight in comparison to the other which will be much more spongey. Use a tension testing device to prove the difference. Doing this frequently will cause the elastic properties of a string to change.

3) Is the racquet strung with one piece of string or two? and is the tension even or different? Depending on how good your stringer is you will get different results. I tried 5 different professionally qualified stringers before settling down with my current one of 4 years. Bad, uneven, and low quality stringing has caused disformity of head shape (leading to breakage) and uneven wear of strings (due to concentration of excessive friction at certain points).

4) One point you did pick up on was the number of hours of play. I agree that 3.5 hours is low for string life but there are other factors. Do you slice the shuttle on drop shots? Do you hit the string centre consistently (sweet spot - not necessarily in centre of racquet depending on string setup)? How many times do you know when you've hit off-centre - or by standing at the front in doubles, you've reacted quickly at the net for a kill and met the shuttle off centre to play a deliberate downward shot?

5) Also, your style of play affects the life of your strings and also should dictate how your strings should be configured. Are you a power player? Or someone who angles accurate drop shots through fast slicing on the forehand and backhand frequently?

I could go on...

I have tried and tested most Yonex, Gosen and Ashaway strings over the last years with different racquets (mostly Yonex racquets)

My choice at the moment is: Yonex Swing Power Ti SA with BG-85 @ 30lbs cross and 28lbs main. I'm using this lightweight/flexible option until I can build sufficient power, stamina and improve technique to use the heavier SS version. I've had my string tension tested and it's probably more like 29lbs in reality but I stick with the asme stringer and have all four racquets restrung at the same time every time. I play each racquet "in" in turn to "bed-in" the strings. You'll find that the bedded-in tension will be lower than the original strung tension. The drop can be anything between 1.5lbs - 3lbs depending on the string and the racquet. Over time, this will become more slack and as a result you'll tend to get more power and less control.

From my own findings, most of the time my strings will go slack or wear down (in the middle) before they break. But I tend to replace them as soon as they show signs of that. I've only had broken strings through mis-timing of shots and since I have such a high tension, the rule is to cut as many of the string as possible from the middle outwards.

When I was playing and training most often my routine would be:

10 - 15hours of training per week (light competition)
    3 - 5 hours of hard competition (when in season)

During competition, I'll tend to use one racquets out of the four and will only swap if the strings break. All racquets are identical with same grip size and string setup to as near as possible.

Hope this info is of some help!!!

Good Luck,
    Siu

eddy

hmm... ti sp sa at 30lbs? isn't that a bit odd? if you don't think you have sufficient power, why would you string a racquet at 30lbs? 30lbs on one of the most fragile racquet too! i hope you NEVER racquet clash.

Siu in London

My reason for this is that I'm normally fine at ths tension.

I've not been playing out of season very much - just up to 4 hours a week.

I play with a high tension because I find I have more control and can play more accurately.

My smash is effective enough at present and will improve with more practice over the next few weeks.

I haven't had a racquet break on me yet (luckily) apart from when my partner stood on one. These racquets are now over a year old and there are no signs of deformity.

I've been unfortuante enough to have encountered racquet clashes from time to time and not suffered a loss.

Perhaps I'm very lucky!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thank You Siu for those enlightening observations.

I agree that different Stringing machines have different calibrations. I wouldn't say that my game has a heavy emphasis on slice shots. Judicious use but then again I may be imparting a certain amount of slice unconciously.

The temperature change of the environment at the time of those particular strings did not vary significantly. By this, it is my estimate of perhaps 18-27 degrees Celcius.

I like to think I hit the shuttle with the centre of the racquet on most occasions . The strings did not break near the frame. In fact most of the time my strings do not break in the peripheral area.

I still claim not to have a big smash despite what other people say.

Nice to know such a thread can generate so much input.

Merci beaucoup.

Siu - did you ever play for Yorkshire?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast