Head Metallix Badminton Racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by black_knight006, Feb 15, 2007.

1. black_knight006

black_knight006 Regular Member

Work at a pro-shop
    I just received a new badminton racquet directly from Head Canada Inc. this morning and I am itching to play with it tonite! Its the new Head Metallix 10,000, and it looks like it mite be a nice racquet. Here are the specifications that we got from Head:

Metallix 10,000: Medium Stiff, 360cm2 headsize, 85g (unstrung), 288mm balance point, 22/23 string pattern.

Metallix 8,000: Medium Flex, 360cm2 headsize, 86g (unstrung), 285mm balance point, 22/23 string pattern.

Metallix 6,000: Medium Flex, 360cm2 headsize, 87g (unstrung), 286mm balance point, 22/23 string pattern.

Metallix 4,000: Medium Flex, 360cm2 headsize, 87g (unstrung), 284mm balance point, 22/23 string pattern.

Metallix 2,000: Flexible shaft, 360cm2 headsize, 88g (unstrung), 282mm balance point, 22/23 string pattern.

I haven't seen any of the other racquets, just the top of the line one. They come with the arched grommets and have what appears to be muscle power grommets at the top of the frame. It has a 67cm long shaft, and it doesn't look like its available in the 68cm length. Strung as a one piece, and had a recommended tension range of 24-30lbs:eek:

Here is how Head describes their Metallix technology:

Made of a specially designed matrix of carbon fibres and a new crystalline metal alloy. This alloy's grain-size is 1000 times smaller than that of a typical metal. The decreased grain size means increased performance, or, as the Hall-Petch Effect states: smaller grains = stronger material. The result is a lighter stronger and more powerful racquet than ever before.

I don't know how well it will take on here in North America, but its already huge in Europe from what I hear, Head is already an official partner of the Badminton Assosciation of Denmark. The back of the coaches jackets all say "Head" on them, while the players are all sponsored by Yonex.

Well when someone gets to try one of them, feel free to post a review on whichever racquet you test. As for me, I'll have a review up for you guys tomorrow, I just can't wait to get out and test it!!

2. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Pictures speak a thousand words. Any chance we can get some snaps of it?

3. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

What do you mean by "strung as a one piece" ?

4. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    They have a whole bunch of models at Tad's. The cones remind me of the the ones on some of the Victor rackets. Some models have a "musclepower"-type arch between the string holes. That and other design elements seem to be mish-mash of other company's. Prices go up to $189 if I remember correctly. That's a lot higher than I'd expect for a company trying to break into the market.

Here's some really blurry cameraphone shots.

Attached Files:

5. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the pics, is it me or are the shafts elonagated?

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

prolly just the angle of the shot deceiving you.
    but aren't those t-joints large??

7. minty31

minty31 Regular Member

i think kellog and clark were using the head rackets at the english nationals and they won the doubles taking the title of gail emms and robertson.

8. Heftiforex

Heftiforex Regular Member

At the german masters two weeks ago i could manaage to take a closer look at all Head racktes, even the metallix series.

Unfortunately i was not allow to play with them. But from the feel i can say, that they are so flexible. even the "stiffest" version is very flexible compared to my AT800 OF. and the colors are quite ugly, i dont like candy-like colors on racktes.

9. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    This is what I observed also. They aren't very stiff compared to my MP99. They felt fairly light. Maybe head-light.

10. black_knight006

black_knight006 Regular Member

Work at a pro-shop
    The shaft on all the Head racquets will be 67cm for the entire first season. No word on it yet as to if they will make a 68cm vesion.

Can one of you tell me how the Airflow and Nanopower racquets are strung. On the Metallix 10,000 the outer main strings are ridiculously close to the frame, more so than even the Yonex Nanospeed 9000.

And sorry, but I don't have any pics yet, when I get some I will try and load them on. Sorry:(

11. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

head badminton racquets have been sighted in various sportmart stores throughout canada!

i'll see if i can gather sharper photos.

12. david07

david07 New Member

Student
  13. 100deep

100deep Regular Member

tx for linky David

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

Actually, that is right in the main stream of racquet prices.

I dont see everyone walking around with yy ns9000

starting from $10 to $189 is pretty decent (in stark contrast with yy, you see $10 to $320 depending on market), and sounds to be a similar approach to what Wilson has been undertaking...
    I just read on Wilson's site that one of BC's Pro players JR is on a 2 year deal with Wilson.

So these companies are definitely headed in the right direction.

For Head/Penn to set up base, outside of the Asian distribution routes of YY is a smart maneuver... the market in those regions is saturated with brands.

Now that the political ball has been rolling between the BPF, and BWF; the entrance & expansion of big name sporting goods companies will help catapult badminton into the spotlight.

This means more advertising dollars, and more tv spots; which will lead to more money for pro players.

I think its about time the other big name players have finally come into the badminton market, to challenge the YY stronghold (read stranglehold).

Now if only Head & Wilson made some extra stiff racquets ;)
    Still definitely worth a swing.

Give them a few years to catch up with R&D, and designs.
    Look what vw did with their image in the car market from the 70's to now.

The real winners are the players, and consumers.
    Players for taking the risk to be sponsored by new entrants into the market, and consumers will benefit from improved, innovative, and evolution/revolutionized product development; be it, racquets, shoes, clothing, bags, shuttles, court surfaces etc etc.

Dont get me wrong, I'll still be toting around a fortune of equipment in my bags, but i can see now it wont necessarily be all YY in the not too distant future :D

edit: Just wanted to mention, thanks for the pics, and info from everyone here.

#14 Kelvin, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  15. gabrielmontreal

gabrielmontreal Regular Member

Just got a Head Metallix 2000 and after the first try I can say it's among to top I have tested yet (for me anyway). It's not the lightest one out there but has a nice feel to it. The only things I can complain about are the fact that the grip is too small, the tension of the factory string is not very appropriate for control shots and the white color of the grip. I will have to wait and see how long the string will hold then I can try something a bit different.

Recently I had a chance to test almost all the racquets of the Black Knight lineup and I must say they do have quite a number of good ones.

I am very happy with my choice and the price tag is reasonable.
    125$CAN+Tax ... and that is the regular price.

I may post some photos later if there are people who are interested.
    Cheers :eek:)

16. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    I'm quite interested in Head badminton as they're tennis stuff is pretty nice. Is the model you got the top of the line one? what's it like and where did you buy it?

17. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hi,
    i am a fan for Head's products. currently using liquidmetal prestige and flexpoint prestige on tennis. informed by Head, they will only globally launch on june this year. so, now just waiting the badminton racquets to reach store. looks like the metallix 10k is for me.... head light, flexi shaft.

18. gabrielmontreal

gabrielmontreal Regular Member

Hi, the Metallix 2000 is not top of the line but I am told that it's among the best out there. You have to remember that a the "best" racquet you can find is only as good as you are. Paying the extra 100$ to get a high end racquet is only a good idea if you play at the same level or that you have too much money.

Here is a link from the place I got it from ...
    http://www.tenniszon.com/Produits/CatByCo.asp?CoID=4&S=1&PTid=9

The first ting I notticed playing with the Metallix 2000 is the longer shaft and I am able to rach longer and smash harder ... I still need to play with it a while before I can fully take advantage of it ...

19. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    They're only going to globaly launch this June? that's quite late considering they have a mixed pair sponsered by them (forgot their names) and a lot of major sport chains already carry some of their rackets.

20. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    I know that the best racket for anyone is the one that suits them most, but the reason that I asked you if it was top of the line was because i was interested in the racket and top of the line rackets in most cases are stiffer and sometimes head heavier which is my type of racket.