should this be happening?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by nano-nano, Feb 15, 2007.

1. nano-nano

nano-nano Regular Member

Hello,
    I welcome some feedback about stringing using 6 point mount/support machines.
    I have started to string my own rackets recently and use a 6 point drop weight machine.
    I mount the frame and adjust the external supports so that it does not distort the frame and the frame does not move.
    Stringing the main is OK but when I start stringing the cross (2 string method according to Yonex recommendation), I find that after I get half way down from top to bottm, I have to tighten the supports to the top half of the frame slightly to take up movment that was not there when I first mounted the frame.
    Has anyone else encountered this?
    Also, I sometimes have to release one mounting point because it is covering a grommet which I need a pathfinder to help get the string through- off course when I loosen the mount the frame moves!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    What brand and machine do you have? Have you tried pre-looping before mounting the racquet onto the machine?

On some machines, you have to tighten the nuts on the external supports when you do the cross strings.

3. nano-nano

nano-nano Regular Member

I use a SAM drop weight machine.
    What is pre-looping?

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Ohhhh, interesting. Pleae post close up photos :D. Pre-looping or pre-stringing is a procedure where you insert the main and cross strings into the frame first before tensioning. You save time and effort in getting the cross strings through the shared grommets. Look up Master Dan (Panda)'s post.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37341&highlight=stringing

BTW, is your machine the SAM G-FORCE R1 or R2?

#4 Pete LSD, Feb 15, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Most machines, even 6-point ones, cannot prevent a slight slackening of the side supports when the cross stringing reaches the middle. This is due to the fact that most machines are not badminton racquet-specific machines but built for tennis racquets, in which the 4 side supports are not at the optimal 4 corners for badminton racquets. Another reason is that even when using a badminton racquet specific-machine, these 4 side supports need to be aligned and positioned at the optimal 4 corners.
    Any slackening of the supports is a sign that your racquet is distorting. If you have a 2-point machine you do not have the luxury of knowing or actually seeing that the racquet you are stringing is distorting. Modern racquets can withstand some distortion without long term damage.

6. nano-nano

nano-nano Regular Member

Thanks Pete,
    I think I will get confused with pre-looping but it is one way of getting around the problem of support mounts blocking access to the gromet. I will give it a go in the near future.
    G-Force R2

7. nano-nano

nano-nano Regular Member

Thanks Taneepak,
    I am reassured that slight slackening is not unusual because in my case it is only slight.
    The SAM stringing machine is designed for Tennis but modified to string badminton rackets. I read your article about stringing without distorting the racket and moved the 4 side supports to as near to your suggestion a I could.:)

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Don't release the support to get to the grommet.
    When you first mount the racquet you should adjust its position so that shared holes are not blocked by the supports. I find it fairly easy to make this adjustment by moving the 6 and 12 o'clock posts.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Good point, one should never release any of the 4 side supports in the midst of stringing. When mounting the racquet align the frame by using the two N/S posts as Neil has suggested.

10. nano-nano

nano-nano Regular Member

Good point- thanks. Seems obvious once you have pointed it out! Thanks again.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Definitely agree.

Releasing support/mount during the stringing is very risky to damage a racket. It also might cost the quality of the final job.