A surprise eighth seeding for Kien Keat and Boon Heong at All-England

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by ants, Feb 15, 2007.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia's men doubles hotshots Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong received the biggest boost in the seedings for the All-England, which were released by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) yesterday.

After having to play in qualifying rounds for places in the first two Super Series events in Malaysia and South Korea last month, the new pair, who have taken world badminton by storm, have been seeded eighth in the prestigious US$200,000 tournament scheduled for March 6-11 in Birmingham.

Ranked at number 32 in the world, Kien Keat-Boon Heong are one of two Malaysian pairs seeded in the tournament. Veterans Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah are the seventh seeds.

Riding high: Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong are currently ranked 32 in the world.
    Despite holding a lower world ranking than Gan Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif (12th) and Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui (15th), Kien Keat-Boon Heong were seeded based on the BWF's notional ranking.

Their first international Open tournament as a pair was in Japan in October.

But they have proved to be among the best in the world – finishing as the runners-up in the Japan Open; emerging as the champions in the Asian Games in Doha last December; winning the Malaysian Open; and making a semi-final appearance in the Korean Open.

On the home front, they bagged the National Grand Prix Finals' title.

The 22-year-old Kien Keat was happy to learn that they have been seeded for the All-England.

“It is really a big surprise for us. We had to go through qualifying tournaments in the last two Super Series tournament. Now, we are not only in the main draw but are also among the seeds. This is great,” said Kien Keat.

“This will certainly boost our spirits to achieve another good result. We will be out to win the title.”

Malaysia have not won the All-England men's doubles title since the success of the Sidek brothers, Razif and Jalani, in 1982.

In the men's singles, Lee Chong Wei is the third seed and he is determined to go one step better than his previous effort of a semi-final outing last year.

Mohd Hafiz Hashim, who reached the semi-finals at the Korean Open, has been seeded eighth.

The other seeded Malaysians at the All-England are Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty at number six in the women's doubles.

The draw for the All-England will be released on Feb 20.

2. haifeng4ever

haifeng4ever Regular Member

Wow, so finally KKK/TBH will crowned as seeded players. Being waiting for centuries. So happy about it. I was wondering which tournament they finally be seeded. All England being so nice to KKK/TBH. Eventhough they ranked 32 but still can be seeded as 8th seed. This is simply so amazing. :D :D :D

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Sounds like AE is like Wimbledon, the seedings don't based on world ranking. That make sense.

4. Dimplex

Dimplex Regular Member

student
    that is indeed good news for kkk/tbh. As much as i'd like to see them win AE07, there is also a part of me that would like to see lee wan wah & choong tan fook win...i mean...they've been runners up twice now right?

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    No, it is based on rankings. For doubles, notional rankings are used.

6. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Well, i am really happy for them.They must continue to work hard and win the All England title.Support them forever.

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

so how's this notional ranking determined?
    anyone have any idea how the players are currently ranked in the world notionally then??
    why have a notional one when the normal ranking system is being shown on their website???
    :confused:

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Good or bad will have to be determined by the outcome, I just hope Malaysia MD come back with Gold, anyhting less than that is considered a failure.

9. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    Hope this will be a bost for Koo and Tan... Now they have a really good chance to win the AE, pending the draw... hehe... wish them well, and happy chinese new year to them and everyone at BCBF!

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Not only KKK/TBH but also CHN's breakthrough pair ZB/GL (WR #29) received 8th seeding. According BWF SuperSeries website we can find another 'surprises' such as :

- XD : It's unbelieveable INA's WR#1 pair N/L was unseeding.
    - MD : Tony/Candra (WR#9) and KOR's Lee JJ/Hwang JM (WR#28) were join the '8-list' too as 5th & 6th seed.

Overall, MS-WS-WD seeding order based on latest WR. But different way for MD and XD (rather confusing), what's BWF reference to decide them? Probably, their good-records in last 3 months (Doha AG and 2 previous SS)?!

Quite bad sign for INA squad to AE/07 because only one and a half representatives who get 'seeding-number' there although seeding position never guarantee one shuttler to reach maximum result then.

From MS, just 3 countries filled the seeding CHN (LD/CJ/BCL/CY) ; DEN (PG/KJ) and MAS (LCW/Hafiz). Unfortunately, TH's WR (#13) not upgraded yet so he must enjoy unseeded (again). TH has possible to meet one of 8 those names in 1st round battle. Let's see the drawing tomorrow (20/02) as planned by BWF!

11. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Congratulation on KKK/TBH.They trully deserved it.I hope they'll bring back AE Title this year.:D :D :D

12. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

What!!?? This is crazy, that kind of seeding jump #32 to #8 for Malaysian MD and #29 to #8 for China XD pairing totally defeats the purpose of having a ranking system. How can u have consistent seeding if notional rankings can be applied from tournament to tournament? This opens the door to alot of questionable and subjective manipulations which is why you must have a clearly defined and consistent seeding and ranking format in the 1st place.

I can understand that both teams play above their current ranking, but an adjustment going from well out of the top 10 into the top 10 is too extreme. Additionally what are the rules used, they need to be set and agreed upon and based on measurable criteria else will change tournament to tournament. This is not fair, equitable or professional for the teams that have maintained their ranking points or for the sport as a whole.

The true prolem is that the ranking system doesn't recognize good performances quickly enough. There is a lag between performance and change in ranking. But if this is the case you should change the ranking system, NOT apply some arbritary set of unbroadcast rules to arbitrarily correct for the lag effect. Hopefully this is just an interim measure to accomadate the Super Series. Any thoughts? Else it's a step backwards to the times when AE and other tournaments were seeded based on relationships and political affiliations.

Arrgge!

13. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes, this doesn't make sense, what is the purpose of having ranking but not being recognised????

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Before criticising, know the background first. Find out about notional rankings. The information is available to the public.

Whether you agree or do not agree with notional rankings, at least know about it first, and understand the motivation behind it. It has been around for a long time.

#14 hcyong, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
  16. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes, you're right, my apology.

otional rankings. The information is available to the public.

Whether you agree or do not agree with notional rankings, at least know about it first, and understand the motivation behind it. It has been around for a long time.[/QUOTE]

17. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Hi, new to this forum.
    I believe that KKK-TBH have to capacity to be World No.1. Watching their AG2006 campaign, I noticed many errors and misunderstandings between the 2, and their game wasn't as smooth. However, they still managed to be champs. In the MO2007, I noticed that they've improved tremendously, beating Sydney Olympics Champions, which before this I though was rather impossible, in the finals in straight sets. I see the smooth flowing and understanding of both players, and I anxiously await the AE to watch them.
    Anyone know whether FOXTEL is broadcasting the matches? I think ESPN channels should be broadcasting it, but are they broadcasting the whole event or just the finals?

I hope KKK is not playing in MX, it will jepordise the KKK TBH chances of winning AE.

Victor