I need some tournament help!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Angelofstorm, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Angelofstorm

Angelofstorm Regular Member

Badminton Fanatic
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this site but I'm also playing my first tournament next Friday! I'm playing at the Derrick Winter And Golf Club in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. But enough about that, time for my reason for this. I restate my thesis; this is my FIRST tournament. I usually get stressed out on exams and this might be it too. I'm playing in all three categories (Singles, Doubles and Mixed Doubles) but I seriously don't know what I should do to prepare for it. I have lessons every Tuesday and Thursday.

I think de-dustify my court shoes and wear a loose t-shirt and shorts. I might do some Tai-Chi just to loosen up. Adding to that, when I get there, I'm going to practice with my partners and then stretch, run laps, do push-ups whatever helps!! But I still don't think this will be enough to prepare me for this historic event of my life. Any help or suggestions would be gladly accepted and appreciated!

2. Adone

Adone Regular Member

Student
    mm, I usually get never get nervous before tests, events, etc. Just relax and not worry about it. Play as if the teams you are up against, are just other friendly members at the club you go to and are just looking for a game or something like that. Just have fun =). You lose, you lose. At least you can figure out what your weaknesses are and work on it, or maybe find out new ways to grab a point.

3. Angelofstorm

Badminton Fanatic
    I suppose. Thanks! I'll work on my weaknesses for the last two lessons before the tournament. Hmm, power-stretches help too right? To get you warmed up faster? What about music?

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    one thing that you may not forsee is that you prob will get the 1st seed in the 1st round as you won't have any ranking points. tough luck if that happens. happened to me :D but don't do anything strenuous, you don't want to be tired for your historical clash with the 1st seed :p jokes. in all honesty, play like you have nothing to lose. don't panic, losing is normal, winning is awesome, that's always my mental thoughts when playing, that way you don't feel any pressure, whoever you're playing

5. jcr2001

jcr2001 Regular Member

Student
    I think one of the best ways to obtain a calm mentality is just to expose yourself to it a lot. Play score with the best guy in your club (or at least play with someone :p ) and eventually, you'll be calm enough to grace any result.

And wouldnt it be nice to use up your energy in the "historical clash with the first seed" and win? :p You'll be the talk of the tournament for causing an upset, even if you don't make it through to the next round...

6. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I see you are in NZ too... Who was the first seed? :D. Just in case I know who you are talking about lol. I got beaten by James Eunson at the South Island U18s last year :cool:.

@Topic Creator.

Yeah I usually feel the same before a tournament. Very nervous. I feel I shouldn't as I have been to so many tournaments now you'd think I'd be used to it... Just don't work yourself up too much. Apart from the obvious like bringing appropriate clothing and your favourite racquet/s, when you get there make sure you warm up and do some stretches before your games. There isn't a lot more you can do in my opinion other than to play your best and have fun no matter what happens :). Don't take it too seriously (although of course give it your best shot)!

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

You will undoubtedly be feeling nervous for the first few points or even whole of first game. If you're playing singles first then this will give you a chance to get used to the court and hopefully get over the butterflies in your stomach without the worry of letting your doubles partner down. It enables you to concentrate on yourself, knowing that every shot will be yours, helps to get your footwork going.

When you're nervous and tense/anxious some of your favourite shots may not come off! Dont panic about it, the best advise is to go back to basics, play a tight game without making too many mistakes or giving your opponent a shuttle he can do alot with. Play the percentages and play yourself into the game and give yourself a chance to forget the nerves.

In doubles it will help to keep the above in mind also but remember to encourage and talk to your partner, yours, mine, leave, out, yes, no, well done, good shot.

8. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
  9. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i play my last U16 round this year :( but last year, i'd only just started getting coaching, and although i've improved a lot, at the start of last year, i played in Oroua (Feilding) U16 and meet Aiden Karati, you might know him. he might not be good against some top U16 players but he's still a brilliant player and i had the sad fate of playing him, at least he didn't kill me totally, just kinda played along, nice of him to give me some practise but yeah, not good lol. but it's very hard to get good tourny draws if you're new. unless you're super good and don't care about meeting a seed, you will most likely get seeds early, lose and earn less points than someone worse than you but, cos they played a long time, have good draws :( a problem!

10. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah I have seen his name around a few times :). I don't think I've actually seen him play though as I haven't played in the North Island a lot. Yeah James just sort of played around with me too lol. It wasn't in the first round but same sort of thing :(. I think it was 21-11, 21-12 or something but I could tell he wasn't playing seriously so that didn't mean too much :p. It sure is a pain going up against the seeds in the first rounds, and you're right it sure doesn't help you get a better seeding in future tournaments as you get next to no ranking points anyway!

EDIT: Sorry for going off-topic :(.

11. Angelofstorm

Badminton Fanatic
    This is one of most helpful forums I've ever visited. Thanks guys! All those tips were helpful! No problem for going off topic. A little bit of fun never hurts anyone.:)

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Don't put too much emphasis on the results. It happens to everybody.

Play more tournaments and the nervousness will eventually go away in the future. It used to affect me a lot but now, no problems. I let the opponent get nervous;)

#12 Cheung, Feb 16, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    remember, even Lin Dan got smoked when he first played internationals, so, even the brightest stars only begin as a dull object, eclipsed by those around him until he emerges as the true star. :D

14. Angelofstorm

Badminton Fanatic
    I really appreciate your guys' help! AND encouragement! I think I have to play Singles first, but that just means I'll warm-up faster!

15. Angelofstorm

Badminton Fanatic
    Well, days are ticking by awfully fast... Its Tuesday night as I type this. I'm thinking of bringing a banana or two to eat. Then I'll stretch and power-stretch. After that I'll rally so hard that I'll sweat a lot! I'm doing that because I need to rally a lot before I get into 100% focus mode. Any other hints or tips?

16. westwood_13

Student
    I'd suggest doing a little skipping prior to the stretching so you aren't stretching 'cold', because I know firsthand the very painful downsides of overzealous stretching!

If the tournament is all day, bring more than a banana... granola bars, sports drinks, and bagels are also good between-game choices.

Sounds like you're well prepared, though, mentally. Most players aren't, and you'll have a definite advantage against all those that think they can just wander out on court when their game is called! Good luck!

17. Angelofstorm

Badminton Fanatic
    Well I think I'll just jog a few laps instead because I don't have a jump rope T.T. Yeah I'm all mental xD. Maybe a few pushups. Do you think some motivational music will help? If so, I'll start charging my Creative and bring it on Friday.

18. westwood_13

Student
    I do the running thing, I like to do some light jogging, shuffling etc. in a place where I can be alone. Pump-up music is a must for me (kudos to the Zen... the iPod brand name is so not worth the extra fee, I have an m:robe myself). I wouldn't advice the pushups because that will exhaust your muscles. Remember, you want your muscles to be ready to spring into action, but not tired.

19. Angelofstorm

Badminton Fanatic
    True enough. Then I'll skip the pushups and then run like....5-6 laps? Oh and some people said to listen to hardcore music and then light, soft music. They say it helps them calm down. Is it true?

20. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i've never tried the music stuff myself, it seems very pro and hard out lol, but what is it actually meant to do? get your heartrate up, adrenaline or mental thoughts into a certain state of mind?