Grip size?! And some more!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Suddet, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Suddet

Suddet Regular Member

I dont know how you measure the grip size, i think i want the smallest grip there is, at least a very small one, if someone could give an example of such a racquet and the different types (big, small, and so on...) of grips. I would like a really light racquet, high flex, medium balanced and with a small grip. Any suggestions? I am not really sure about what shape i want, i normally use an y-shaped but i have heard they are supposed to be bad or something? What shape do you suggest and why? Whats the difference?
    Also one more thing, the length of the racquet. I think i would like a long one, does anyone know the shortest and the longest? I would like you to argue what is the best and why, especially if the racquet includes all the given things I wrote about. What length would fit such a player?

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I don't know if you are able to obtain a small grip size where you are located. You might have to get them else where like overseas.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Suddet, it's difficult to answer all those questions within one thread. I suggest you use try the search function to look up some of these questions in the past. Length of racquet has been discussed before as have merits of different shapes.

4. Suddet

Suddet Regular Member

well...

My main question is still about the grips and no one has answered that yet, so I still don't know how you measure them... :crying:

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Use a tape measure and take the circumference.

6. Suddet

Suddet Regular Member

but...

i read in some thread that there are 5g and 4g or something, what does that mean?:confused:

7. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Wooo...some geometry comes in handy in badminton:D And if you don't know circumeference you can look it up.:D

8. Suddet

Suddet Regular Member

man...

ok i get what you mean, mr comedian;) but i have never measured any racquet before, can you say what the smallest existing is, and the biggest existing?:rolleyes:

9. Suddet

Suddet Regular Member

look what i found!

"How are badminton racquet grip sizes graded?
    Racquet grips sizes range from G2-G4 (thin to thick)" That was what I partly was looking for...

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    There is a thread about this. Please use the search.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Actually grip size designation like G5 or G3 is not complete by itself because all it indicates is the circumference only, and even that with the original grip on. It does not reflect the actual cross-section width and length dimensions of the bare wooden hold (handle), which is more important than the G4 or G5 designation. It also does not indicate the different size ratios of the 8 bevels to each other.
    The circumference of a G2 is 92mm, G3 89mm, G4 86mm, and G5 83mm. The width and length cross-sections of a G3 wooden handle is 2.5cm x 2.175cm, G4 2.5cm x 2.1cm, G5 2.4cm x 2.05cm. These are for Yonex handles. Chinese and Taiwanese handles are smaller, some have reverse number designations to that of Yonex, but all of them have rounder wooden handle cross sections.

13. Suddet

Suddet Regular Member

examples of such racquets?

Can you maybe give some examples of these taiwanese with smaller grips? Do you know if there are such racquets available in sweden, or do you have to buy them over the net?

Thanks

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    What exactly are you looking for? Racquets come in different grip sizes but importers may opt for only one or two grip sizes due to inventory control. Europeon countries are seldom shipped the smallest grip sizes.
    You can do two things to find out. One, assemble a few thin pencils and bunch then together. Keep adding or taking away pencils until the size of the bunch meets your grip size requirement. Then measure its circumference in cm. You can then find out what G size you need. Two, just walk into a sports store and try all their badminton racquets they have for grip size.
    Now, nothing can be simpler than the above.