running after badminton?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by yuffleduffles, Feb 16, 2007.

1. yuffleduffles

yuffleduffles New Member

Freshman :p
    recently i joined my highschool's badminton team, but unfortunately we skipped the conditioning and jumped into a hybrid course of conditioning/practice. for three days we've gone to practice for about two hours. we spend maybe the first hour doing three sets of leg lifts, push ups, various running exercises, and crunches. from there we might run a little more in lines and then go in the gym to practice serving and the like.

i was wondering, of course, if it would be reasonable for me to run two miles tonight like i usually do. last night i didnt because i felt sore, but i am cautious about losing my stamina from a few days of rest. would running tonight affect my muscles and limbs? my coach says that running would be good, but im not sure when it would be the right time to run. i am worried about wearing them out, and im not sure if practice today would take over my running sufficiently.

alas, are there any other badminton "conditioning" exercises or training i can do at home to improve accuracy and speed? im wondering if there are any sets i can do at home without always running or playing the game itself.

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Badminton, ideally, should be every other day. On the days when you aren't playing badminton, running is advised.

As far as conditioning goes, practicing footwork at varying speeds is definitely the best thing you can do. There's also all sorts of plyometric exercises but you probably need a gym for most of those.

3. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    make sure you dont over train. If your new to sport or not used to that kind of conditioning, its important to have a day or two off a week, and particullary if your not used to running, start with every second day and still take take days off, or youll hurt yourself. That said, 2 miles is very short, so it shouldnt be a huge problem. Its only about 15/16 minutes running if youve a decent speed. 14 if your in good shaped. Rowing made us run 7 minute miles all the time or else we were just told we sucked. :(

4. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i think you know yourself best. if you know that running a couple of kilometres usually doesn't bother u physically at all, then go ahead..

at home, you can train your wrist using various wrist exercises, such as using squash rackets etc........there are alot of threads on this.......a search would really help :)

5. morewood

morewood Regular Member

If you have the energy to spare running is fine, just make sure there suitable shoes for running not the ones you use for badminton.

6. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

If you already have a good cardiac base you should do intervols instead of long distance. If you feel out of breath when you play long distance is a good idea. If you don't get out of breath do 200-400m sprints.

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Unless:
    A. You also compete in distance running or
    B. You're having trouble keeping up in practice because of poor fitness levels

then for the most part I wouldn't worry too much about the running. Remember that in badminton the physical training is just used to support good technical execution, and so a major emphasis of your training (esp. at the high school level) should be focused on developing technique. Why do I say maybe no running? Learning good footwork is something that requires practising good form, which is likely not to happen if the athlete is fatigued. But, practising footwork itself is fatiguing, so do you really want to generate additional fatigue through running? If the end result is a reduced technical training load, then no. If technical training is minimally affected, and physical adaptations can occur concurrently, then sure.