Altona Open 2007

Discussion in 'CCC Badminton Club' started by andrewlyw, Feb 17, 2007.

1. andrewlyw

andrewlyw Regular Member

Hi all,

anyone interested in playing C-Grade doubles in the Altona Open this year?

the tournament will be on Sunday 18th March and the deadline for entry is the 5th March. Please let me know if anyone's interested

Cheers,
    Andrew

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2007 Altona Badminton Tournament

Hi andrewlyw,

Hope you will get your Doubles partner for this tournament...... And I would be suggesting this to kwongj and LChow. :):):)
    Perhaps LisaC could play Mixed Doubles with you too.

The interesting thing for you is that you will be playing the New Scoring System with modification. Each game will be the best of 30 points(not like how we play @CCC, the WBF's 21 points system) and players will change ends when one side reaches 15 points.

I thought I should inform you of this...... so that you will be prepared for it.

Enjoy your Badminton... chris@ccc

3. andrewlyw

andrewlyw Regular Member

Thanks Chris. I've read the entry form and found it a bit weird too... playing 30pts with the NSS. i don't understand why don't they just play the OSS?? :confused:

I've already asked LChow, he'll busy around that time so he's not available. But i don't know about kwongj though...

4. smashed_1

smashed_1 Regular Member

Altona is an oven when its hot

Hey Andrew.... I was there this arvo - had Altona juniors on - 38 outside and must have been 50 degrees in the hall, so if its a hot day take heaps & heaps of cold refreshments! ;)

5. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Thanks for the info, andrew. Hmmm...Sunday sounds good.

Chris, what grade should I play if I am interested?

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Altona Open 2007: Watch out for Trophies Hunters

Hi BadFever,

At the moment, you would fall in the Top-C to Bottom-B Category. But your lack of experience is something that we have to consider...

What I am saying is there are many players there, falling in the same category like you but they have much more experience. They have been playing competitions/tournaments for years... and, with my disapproval, they are still playing the same lower grades in which they have won so many times before :mad:...... And, we refer these players as 'Trophies Hunters'.

My short answer to you= If you are interested to play, try C Grade first.

And if you can win it, then in future competitions/tournaments, you should play in B and higher grades. :):):)

I would tell you to play... it could be fun, yet challenging.

Cheers... chris@ccc

7. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Thanks Chris. I am actually the opposite of the 'Trophies Hunters'. I hate trophy. They should give shopping vouchers instead. :D :p

To tell you the truth, nowadays, I prefer to watch than play tournament. After reading your post on my level, I think I will go for B grade. Unlike our dear captain hkhung, I would enjoy playing with someone who is better than myself than winning a tournament. :rolleyes:

8. yschin

yschin Regular Member

student of this game
    Trophy Hunters

Good to see that you are finally in it. As a keen badminton player you should join tournaments so that there is something to look forward to and work on your weakness , eg stamina, drop shots etc. Go for B , not C. Join singles as well. It is not good to go all the way there and play a feww games of doubles only.

I tend to agree with you about trophies. When I was in NZ there were parents(trophies hunter) who lineman their kids games. Shouting in when it was obviously out, irritating TK who threw his racket and walked out of court several times. I am not making these stories.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Players' parents/coaches should never be allowed to be linespersons

Hi yschin,

It happens in Australia too. :mad:

It should be made a rule that players' parents/coaches should never be allowed to be linespersons for matches of their children/trainees. :eek:

Referees of tournaments must be alerted when such occasions occur.

Perhaps TK was not experienced enough to know that he could ask the umpire/referee to replace those linespersons involved.

Cheers... chris@ccc

10. yschin

yschin Regular Member

student of this game
    Depending on which club organises the tournament. Some are well organised some are not . Initially it is usually good but as tournament progresses things get a bit messy. They are usually short of volunteers and pull in whoever stand by the courtside.

You won't believe this, not a mild hand signal but an excited shout 'out' and aggressive look - maybe get carried away. Anyway, when you go around playing tournaments we see each other very often , got friendly , go to same school, sleep and eat together when outstation etc. Well.....very amused and just have fun.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Altona Open 2007: Entries closing on Monday 5-Mar-2007

Greetings,

Just a reminder......

The entries for the 2007 Altona Open & Graded Tournament (to be held on 17 & 18, March 2007) will be closing tomorrow, Monday 5-Mar-2007.

Entry forms are located at: http://www.wsbaonline.com/Display.aspx?tabid=148

Good Luck to players@ccc entering !!! :):):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

#11 chris-ccc, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  12. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Any CCC members playing on Sunday? Otherwise, I am not going to drive stupidly all the way to Altona to support nobody.