where're everybody from?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Nov 19, 2000.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hey all, how about an introduction? where are you from and where do you play regularly??

i live in Sunnyvale, CA, USA (near San Francisco and San Jose). i play in Gunn HS gym every sunday..

2. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    I'm from London (UK). I play for my county and play 2-3 times a week mostly at Wimbledon Badminton club. I'm fairly strong in doubles but want to keep improving my singles. I went to school with Cheung...but I was in a younger year..ha..ha (bet he's still fitter than me though).

3. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    I live in the country about 40 miles north of Baton Rouge, LA and play at Louisiana State University Friday nights with students there , Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons with the B.R. Badminton Club (also at LSU).

marshall

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Originally from London where I went to school with Paul!!
    Paul has a great smash, we match up really well.

I was really serious into badminton before University but had to cut down during Medical School and Postgraduate studies.

I moved to HK about five yrs ago and play regularly but recently am very seriously into training. My ambition is to smash as hard as Paul and I'm sure I'll win a huge number of tournaments then!!!!!

One of my most interesting moments was to meet up and play with Kwun Han (name sound familiar??) when he came to HK on holiday. Badmintoncentral wasn't quite up and running at that time.

Oh yes, I use a Carbonex 22 which I string at 24/25lbs. Last week, somebody told me it isn't tight enough!!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    becareful, 25+lbs may kill all feeling on the racket. i have mine strung at 23lb this time. still feel pretty responsive, does the string losen up after a little while? it certainly feel more springy after a game or two.

6. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I live in HK since I born here. Unlike Paul or Cheung, I'm just an amature player but I do love badminton very much (since secondary school). In fact, it is the only sports I really like.

Currently I play once per week in Kwun Chung on every Friday (just resume playing in these months, before that, just a couple of games in last year due to my busy work and part-time study).

My favorite racquets so far include Ti-10 CN (I really love this one until my re-strung MP-100 came out), ISO 800 and MP-100.

7. clinton

clinton Regular Member

sw engineer
    I'm living in Toronto, Canada, and I play at local rec centres and high schools, usually 1-2 times a week, depending on how busy my schedule is.

I used to be an avid badminton player, and participated in tournaments when I was in high school. I didn't make the Varsity team in university, got disillusioned, and stopped playing until recently. It's good to be playing again!

8. jerome

jerome Guest

I am from Daly City, CA. I play 3 times a week at a private gym built by one of my friends. I started playing badminton 10 years ago. But I played tennis in college. I started getting back to badminton about 6 years ago and plays tournaments ever since.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Sorry to disappoint you Ricky, I'm an amateur player as well! But I'd just love to be a pro badminton player...

10. Alvin

Alvin Guest

I'm from Malaysia.i'm still struggling hard to get into a badminton association(busy calling the badminton association people but none of them picked up the phone)hahahahahha

11. Toby

Toby Guest

I live in Ontario, Canada
    started to play badminton 2 years ago
    but really concentrating now since i built a big interest in badminton

12. I play in Orkney, group of islands, of the north of Scotland. We play inter conty matches against Shetland and Caithness our neighbours and compete in the Inter Island Games every second year. Please visit our website www.orkneybadmintonassociation.co.uk

13. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Hello all www.badmintoncentral.com regulars!!! Hey to everybody!!!

I've only started visiting this website about 2 months ago i think. Well it may have been longer but it sure felt short. Time flies!!!

Well i'm Byro-Nenium. You people are probably wondering what my real name is, well my real name is Byron and i'm from Singapore. I love badminton, its my 1 of my favourite sports as well as Soccer, Volleyball and Cricket.

I picked up my first racket about 10 years ago now in Indonesia where i grew up. I never took it seriously till now and i regret it. Its a cool game. LONG LIVE BADMINTON!!!!

14. justin

justin Guest

I check into badminton messages from time to time, and pick up a few tips here and there.

Born in Malaysia, went to college in US, and have been residing in Singapore for more than 10 years.

I grew up playing badminton, like most of the Malaysian, but never had any formal coaching. Recently paying more attention to proper techniques, since I am no longer young and energetic anymore.

I love to attack the bird. Found out in US that Yonex plastic birdies is really great for smasher, the bird changes shape flying toward the oponents. Those were the days.

I play in Bishan sports hall every Sunday morning. Drop me a line if any of you guys swing by this part of the world.

I am using Ti-10, Ti-7 and Pro Ace Titanium Speed. Pro Ace is a tough racket, very popular in Malaysia. Discovered cracks on my Ti-10 last night, it is by far the best racket I ever used. Musle Frame is no marketing gimmick, it really works. Now, I heard Carbonex23 is Musle Frame, could be my next racket. Ti-7 is good too, much cheaper as well.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I can't get used to 23lbs now that I've used the higher tension. The feeling seems OK and the strings don't seem to have stretched that much.

16. viver

viver Regular Member

Hi all,

I actually live in Vancouver, Canada. I have played badminton for 25 years. I consider myself fortunate in this area as I had chance to learn this sport from excellent coaches and opportunities to play with some excellent players (some top players in their prime).

Someday and if time allows I would like to start teaching young kids to play the game the way I learned from my coaches and let more people enjoy this beautiful game.