Badminton Now vs Badminton 15 Years ago

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wong8Egg, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

What do you think of badminton today compare to badminton 15 years ago? Is badminton more popular now days than before???

Express your point of view. Peace :p

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I wish I could comment, but I didn't know what badminton was fifteen years ago, heh.

But in a lesser time span, I do think it's gained popularity in my region, but this is mostly due to the hard efforts of our provincial coach to start clinics everywhere, from major high schools to towns strung across Manitoba up to eight hour drives away. Now many of them come in for tournaments and the sport has certainly expanded in that regard. When I started at the age of 7, it was basically private club players playing, and that was it. Now we have all sorts of identified player programs, etc., which has really made it more popular.

3. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    There is a huge difference in my opinion between badminton today and 15 years ago.

Today, more people are over with the idea that badminton is a simple sport, and even some people whom have not play the game before ask me if it really takes alot of stamina, and they know it is not easy.

Also, if you noticed the appeals of professional players has changed so much over the years. Back then, everybody wears the simple white shirt, white sport pants, and white everything.... Today, you see they wear much better looking yonex colored shirts.:D

Rackets has better looks and performance, and that makes a big difference in terms of sales and profit. PLUS today there are fake rackets in the market whereas 15 years ago probably don't have many, if any.:p

21 point system is now gaining much more popularity in where I live, and it seems like people who want to get better or "evolve" are more willing to use it than people who just want to stay at the good old days. Although I do prefer using 15 points in singles in recreational play myself... the feeling of tiring your opponent to the point that they pretty much want to quit is TOO GOOD!!!:p

4. schuweiz

schuweiz Regular Member

still remember when i was a kid watching my brothers and sisters play badminton 15 yrs ago, popularity of badminton by that time (in Malaysia) was pretty dense. Comparing to today, I do not notice an increasing popularity as the sport has already been liked by alot of Malaysians for a very very long time. However, I would say that it has gained popularity around the world. The sports has been overshadowed by alot of other over-rated sports but long lived the badminton! the one who loves it really loves it alot!:eek: I can't imagine a day without thinking of badminton or better if I can play everyday!:D

5. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

SF bay area

Badminton is getting more popular in SF bay area compared to 15 years ago. There was no dedicated badminton facility in 1992; there are now 5 badminton club in greater SF bay area.

Another indicator is I took badminton class in a community college, and there are now waiting lists on two sessions, while only one session has waiting list 10 years ago.

There are at least two more shops specializing in badminton(i.e. carry high end rackets, knowledgeable about badminton, etc.) in south bay now, in addition to pro shops in clubs. Asby used to be the only one I was aware of 10 years ago in south bay.

6. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    However, I have to wonder... are these increases related to popularization of the sport with inhabitants or influx of immigrants already familiar with it?

7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I believe that is one of the major factor too, half of the faces I see in local tournament are Asian. But if they do help to promote badminton then why not?

I also want to hear some story other than Canada and US, like UK, Korea, India and the rest of the globe. ;)

8. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I can't say what I saw is representative, but I went to two HS OG regularly, and I saw only one Caucasian last year in one HS, two European alumni at a different one (btw, they were good). The rest are American-born or immigrant Asians AFAIK.

Sometimes girls varsity basketball or volleyball was played before OG, and it's more a mixed race. So yeah, badminton in HS here may look like an Asian sport.

I saw more Caucasians in clubs, but still far fewer than Asians. Beginner's badminton class in community college? The only Caucasians I can remember were unfit and not athletic, probably thinking badminton is 'easy'.

9. guitar_pic

guitar_pic Regular Member

MIS Sales Consultant
    Man......

Man......15 years ago Pro Kennex was king! I had:

Boron 800, 787, 767, 727

That was when most yonex users were still using the carbonex 8 with the aluminum head. Kennex ruled. Now......sigh......at least Jonnasen is using it.

10. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    bow b4 my Boron 900 which is still alive and kicking then

11. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    man... those were the days!!

the cab 8 was fantastic and still is, and that cab 9 was nice too...

as for the game itself... play wise, i've noticed it's becoming a much quicker attacking offensive style type of game... i think others had mentioned this in other threads...
    The footwork, and court movement back in the day was artfully done... today while the players seem bigger and stronger, and possibly more powerful, equally as skilled... it just seems (my opinion... i can be wrong), that the game has lost some of the finesse players that it used to have... at least from the matches i've downloaded and viewed.

In terms of popularity... i dont know about on a global scale, but i think the electronic & information age we're currently in, has served to help the proliferation of the sport, in that more players new and old, are now able to gain more access to info regarding tournaments and goings on in the international community... in turn creating a lot more excitement.

As i've noted to a few people since my return though... without more financial backing from corporations, and especially from governments, athletes will continue to struggle with paying their own way to achieve greater success.
    But it seems the winds are changing in Canada now, with the recent announcement of funding becoming available to athletes...
    I hope the momentum continues!

12. nicexerin

nicexerin Regular Member

Computer Engineering Student, University Technolog
    Carbonex rules the court :eek:

13. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

zhao jian hua !!!
    skills, power and finesse !!

pleasure to watch.

14. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Badminton is popular mostly among asians,or in asia countries.Almost every country in asia have their own national team n doing good.From europe,Netherlands n denmark r doing well.UK,german some other countries r catching up already.US,once had their double WC,now gone with the wind.Dunno what happend.But,i believe,at least this brings more n more competition to this sport competition,n it'll slowly,but sure,badminton will gain its popularity.

15. Makunouchi

Makunouchi Regular Member

Badminton Addict
    From what I know, Badminton was not very popular in our country. The only courts existed back then was predominantly from country clubs and basketball was and still king of the sports in terms of the men playing it. But thanks to the exposure given by the former first lady, Badminton became a crazy thing here. Courts sprouted like mushrooms everywhere and you have to wait to get a court and have to spend a huge amount for court fees.

16. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Is their any changes in technique or footwork?
    From 1970's?

17. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Not sure in 70's but in 80's..... they tend to serve high balls (MS).

Also they do do a lot of backhand clears coz in those days players don't jump smash as much.

an example: 1980's match
    1983 match between Misbun and Icuk:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsZGpnXzy5c

18. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    The game is much more explosive and played at a faster pace now.

19. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I am not sure, but I think badminton nowadays depends on more body strength than before. However, the neatness has gone down....

20. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Do you think racket technology comes in place too?