Anyone play at California State Univ Long Beach?

Discussion in 'USA West' started by hillwinner, Feb 19, 2007.

1. hillwinner

hillwinner New Member

HI:

I am living in Long Beach but I am not CSULB student. Can I play at their gym? Anyone can provide other info about places around Long Beach?

And I am looking for partner for double.
    Thanks

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

To answer your query...

...yes, it's open to the public. I've played there a couple times, a while back though. I think you have to pay some entrance fee.
    The person to contact is Mr. John Xavier. He is the person in charge of the place and club. You can contaq him at: john_xavier@yahoo.com
    Here is a bit more info about the club:
    Description
    The Long Beach Badminton Club has been playing at CSULB for the past couple decades. Our 100+ members enjoy a casual atmosphere with minimal rules. Beginners looking for some excercise and advanced players looking for competition are all welcome. We do tend towards competitive play at all levels, though, and with only nine courts and around 60 players on a typical night, usually can accomodate only doubles play. Singles matches are allowed during less crowded times.

We play in the CSULB West Gym in the PE building (near Lot 3).
    Map to CSULB - Look for PE Bldg. near Lot 3 in Campus Center:
    http://daf.csulb.edu/maps/ (or)
    http://daf.csulb.edu/maps/pdf/campus_map.pdf
    They're open on Saturdays & Sundays from 9am-12pm

Please contact Rita Hayes at 562-985-7351 or rhayes@csulb.edu for schedule info until things settle down.

And here is their club's database:
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/LBBadmintonClub/

3. hillwinner

hillwinner New Member

Thanks

Thanks a lot. Ctjcad.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

New facility for badminton @ CSULB..

..my alma mater.:p...Too bad, badminton wasn't popular when i went there..:(
    They currently have a badminton club on campus, but i'd imagine they would move to the new center..

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_11596277
    ==========================================================
    Students raise campus rec center
    By Kevin Butler, Staff Writer
    Posted: 01/30/2009 10:20:26 PM PST

[​IMG]

CSULB President F. King Alexander said the future Student Recreation and Wellness Center will be a boon at a time when obesity is on the rise in the United States. The project is being funded through a student fee increase that was imposed by a vote of the student body. The project should be completed by fall 2010. (Jeff Gritchen/Staff Photographer)LONG BEACH - Cal State Long Beach on Friday broke ground on its student recreation and wellness center, a project university officials said would transform campus life and improve student health.

Funded by student fees, the Student Recreation and Wellness Center is expected to open in the late summer or fall of 2010.

"It is a university facility that will benefit all of this campus," CSULB President F. King Alexander said at the groundbreaking.

The 126,000-square-foot center will include basketball, volleyball, badminton and racquetball courts.

The $70-million project also will include weight and fitness machines, a wellness center, an indoor running track, a rock-climbing wall and an outside recreation pool and spa.

Visitors to the facility also will be able to receive personal training and take part in group fitness classes.

Between 3,000 and 4,000 people each day are expected to use the facility, which is being built on a former parking lot in the northeast part of campus, CSULB officials said.

The facility will become a social hub of the university, allowing graduate students, faculty and undergraduates to interact, Alexander said.

"They will gather and they will exercise, and they will exchange ideas," he said.

The center also will help fight the school's reputation as a "commuter campus" by giving students an additional incentive to spend more time at CSULB on evenings and weekends for workouts or pick-up games, Alexander said.
    Alexander said that the center also will improve student health at a time when America is seeing rising rates of obesity.

CSULB students currently have access to basketball, racquetball, volleyball and badminton courts and a pool in various locations on campus.

The new center will offer additional venues for those sports in a convenient, single location, while also including state-of-the-art fitness equipment and other activities, university officials said.

About three-quarters of voters in a student election last year supported imposing a fee on themselves to fund the facility.

The fees, which students will begin paying after the facility opens, are $110 for the fall and spring semesters, and $83 for summer. Faculty, staff and alumni must pay to use the center.

Student government president Erin Swetland said that the center will have far-reaching impacts on campus.

"The Student Recreation and Wellness Center will provide 200 to 300 jobs to students on campus, which is so important in this environment," said Swetland, president of Associated Students Inc., which includes student government functions.

Attached Files:

5. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

is this normal? basketball players and volleyball players get to use the gym for free but if you want to play badminton you have to pay fees. The basketball and volleyball players are non-students as well.

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

That sounds like a problem. There was a guy who fought the city because the same thing was happening at the place he normally played (i think). It's somewhere in the forums, but I'd say that sounds very unfair.

7. LetsJamWitLam

LetsJamWitLam New Member

I've been playing there for the pasttt 3 months?! heres a link for there schedule.

http://www.csulb.edu/divisions/students/clubsports/facilities/east_gym.htm

The fee is 5 dollars for non-students. I think you can borrow nets when there is open gym, if you have an ID they can borrow. Times are usually from 5-9 PM, but 10PM if the person with nets wants to stay. Friday and Sundays, Sometimes saturdays.

8. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    that place suckkkkk, too crowed
    I hate it.
    i do some what like when there's alot of people like badminton. But at the same time, there's not enough court for me to keep on playing. Please excuse for my language, but one time actually one B.... was standing behind me and said "are you going to keep warming up all day?" I was just get on the court for 1 or 2 min.
    And we all know if we're polite, after 1 game of double of course, no room remember. All 4 players needs to gets off so other can have a chance. So then when I finished I went out, and that b.... played and stayed their for 2 or 3 games. Of course, i'm a nice guy so I didn't want to say hey get the f... out of the court.
    But yea overall, I hate that place, 1 too crowed, 2 that b... is there. I hate when I actually have to deal with those kind of people. Ignorance people, I suppose.

9. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

ya some people there are horrible, was playing against a duo and after one set we were about to start a second, next thing you know they do not say anything but go to another court and play leaving me and my partner like :confused:

10. yasmine

yasmine New Member

A quick question...

Hey! I have a question and I hope that there will be someone who can help me. I am looking for a hotel near Long Beach State University at a decent prize and I am having trouble finding one :crying:. I plan on staying for a couple of days to check out the area and see if I can find an apartment or some sort of convenient accommodation. I found a few choices on http://csulb.universityhotelnetwork.com/, but I wanted to know if there is a better option, another site or if there is someone who can recommend me a hotel nearby. If there is someone who can help, thanks a million, if not, sorry to have bothered (btw, this is not a spam, i just need help, i tried to post this question on another forum and I got banned - Please HELP)

11. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    do priceline.com and do a bid on hotel :D

12. yasmine

yasmine New Member

Oh, ok! Thanks!

13. manny13

manny13 Regular Member

student
    does anyone know what the summer hours are going to be for the gym at csulb? does anyone plan to play there during the summer?
    thanks