I keep losing to people i should be able to beat

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Krillin99, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Krillin99

Krillin99 Regular Member

Student
    :crying: why why why!!! I am prett experienced, but i keep losing to players i should be able to beat. i think i am not strting at 100% which i should. then when i try hard, i'm too far behind and i end up losing. same problem for you guys?

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

singles? doubles? be specific how are you losing and what makes you think you should be able to beat them
    try to play games and be observant of what you need to improve and if your too far behind at the beginning maybe warm-up longer?
    yes i had this problem i figured out my opponents weakness and what i was doing wrong i kept clearing to him instead of dropping, driving, fake smash etc

3. thatoneaznguy

thatoneaznguy Regular Member

student
    Perhaps you're being a bit overconfident. Sometimes, you have to switch your playing style to ploy on their weaknesses. The two most common I've seen in high school jv and varsity is back hand and movement around the court. Really, always go in assuming the opponent is better than you.

4. Superstar

Superstar Regular Member

What are you so sure that you can win? No offence.
    Is your score close? A few year back, I always think that I was good enough to beat people I should too. Losing a game is nothing but you have to reflect as to why? Previously, I was beaten flat by a guy. Now I can give him zero. An old man over 50++ can beat me also more frequent than I beat him. Why? He is slightly better. That's all. But he can only last one single game.........

#4 Superstar, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  5. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Generally, psychological studies have shown that the lousier you are, the more likely you are to overestimate your own abilities.

Why we overestimate our competence [FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial]

Social psychologists are examining people's pattern of overlooking their own weaknesses. [FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial]BY TORI DeANGELIS
    [/FONT]

Another problem is that in many areas of life, accurate feedback is rare. People don't like giving negative feedback, Dunning says, so it's likely we will fail to hear criticism that would help us improve our performance.
    "It's surprising how often feedback is nonexistent or ambiguous," he asserts. "It's a pretty safe assumption that what people say to our face is more positive than what they're saying behind our backs." People also overestimate themselves out of ignorance, Dunning says. Take the ironic example of an elderly man who thinks he's an excellent driver but is a hazard on the road, or the woman who reads a book about the stock market and is ready to compete with a professional stockbroker.

Dunning is addressing some of these self-overestimation issues empirically. In a series of studies reported in the December 1999 Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (Vol. 77, No. 6), he and co-author Justin Kruger, PhD, then a Cornell graduate student and now an assistant professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, examined the idea that ignorance is at the root of some self-inflation. Cornell students received short tests in humor, grammar and logic, then assessed how well they thought they did both individually and in relation to other Cornell students. In all three areas, students who performed the worst greatly overestimated their performance compared to those who did well.
    [FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

6. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    i have this problem too, its about confidence, im not confident thats why I dont attempt offense but rather just sit back and try to defend, and by attempting offense i mean to start attacking I dont mean smash only,

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    ohhhh :eek: same here. i get really nervous against people better than me, and turn to a defensive game, not enough net shots, not enough drops, and everyone says i lack confidence. but i find it really hard to play well against people i know can beat me. i usually tell myself, losing is normal, winning is better, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :(.

8. Eric Lin

Eric Lin Regular Member

High School Student
    Do you warm up properly before playing?

Really, you should just play your best even if your playing someone who looks like he can't touch you.

The point is: Don't judge a book by it's cover.

9. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    We don't always play as well as we think we should, and many people who look like they possess only par or subpar abilities may actually be much better than you. It's hard to say who's better until you step on the court and play them. After all, when you see some professionals play, it seems rather easy for them to get around the court without getting out of breath. But I can't do it like they do, can I? It seems easy, perhaps, but that's how good they are, to be able to make something difficult seem easy, as if they are doing something that ANYONE can do. But in reality, watching a match is never quite like playing in one.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wow, good find Storkbill. Now that explains a lot to me about my life!!

11. Adone

Adone Regular Member

Student
    I like going into a game knowing I can beat the person >.>. Not overly confident, but have my mind set that I can beat them. If I don't I tend to unconsciously give up and not try as hard. =/

12. VinceNZ

VinceNZ Regular Member

Accountant
    To beat another player, you need to be able to control your opponent, meaning your skills are all-rounded (footwork, backhand, clear, smash, drop shot and net). Keep your opponent guessing!
    The first thing to do is to improve your skills. After that, you need to evaluate your opponents weaknesses and strengths.

13. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

overconfidence breads carelessness. Don't underestimate an opponent just cuz u think u can beat him and he doesn't have the skills like u

14. Krillin99

Krillin99 Regular Member

Student
    i guess i have to just go in thinking that they are better than me. like for example, this one time playing a man and his wife. during the warm up, i could tell that my power, strokes and placement were better than his. btw i play doubles. the catch was that his wife was a beginner. like she could hit back and forth, but clears were no good at all. it was my gf and i against them. anyways, i kinda felt bad for her and started kinda feeding easy shots to her. and i think it cause me to adapt to hitting weak shots and eventually when i tried to hit to the husband, it was also weak shots. so we lost that. i tried to catch back up but my rhythem was all off.

also know the smash isn't all there is in a game, but a lot of the times, i smash to the stronger player or not even smash at all if the opposing team can't return any of them. maybe i feel like i don't want to just kill the birdie all the time? i know it's not good, cuz i won't improve my mentality if i do that.

15. Misbehavin

Misbehavin Regular Member

Bean counting part time, imaginary baddy fulltime
    Krillin I sort of do similar things such as not smashing at people that is just starting out... I use that oppoetunity to fine tune my drops etc... I also tend to attack the better player when the beginner is struggling. My objective is to develop better techniques, more consistency and better footwork rather than winning.

I find that looking at the longer term improvements is better than the short term gratification of winning. When I play against better players I try and spot their weakest, and look for angles and play consistent shots rather than try to force a winning shot that usually goes out. The most important thing is to concentrate point after point so that you are never an easy beat.
    :cool:

16. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

This reminds me of an earlier thread where someone complained that he kept on losing to this guy who didn't seem to be very good since he didn't know how to smash and only played drop shots, :D

17. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    hmmm, i think that the really good players play well no matter who they play, and sometimes, you don't need to kill the shuttle but you need to be in control, so never let your guard down, treat every match like the WC Finals!!!! :) jks jks.

18. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

well, i always lose interest against ppl who i think aren't better than i am... :p

19. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    I've heard of people video taping themselves train or play so they can determine what to improve.

20. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

similar to know coaches video tape their games sometimes and analyze what was good and bad for each game