Attack Lob being used against urself

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LevelZero, Feb 23, 2007.

1. LevelZero

LevelZero Regular Member

student
    Recently learnt how to do an attack clear which i find it useful against players not as good as i am.

however, i realized when im playing against better players, my attack lob is being used against me. It's faster, and thus, my opponent's return is also quicker and with much more angle...

and now...it seems like ive forgotten how to do the high lob. whenever i think of lob, my body's AI is sorta lik e programmed to punch it to the corner...

what to do?

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well..practise your high lob..but keep remebering to vary your strokes..

also some deception in your lob can slow down their reply...

though it sounds like they're intercepting the shuttle path sometimes, just keep your eyes open...

3. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    You get a partner and find a court and clear for an hour. Part of the problem seems to be what jerby mentioned with interception. Make sure that you aren't doing a high drive instead of an attacking clear.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

amen Dummey;)

btw, are you referrign to a lob or a clear (all comments apply to both however...)?

if you're lobbing, pay a lot of attention to deception (intercepting a lob is 70% guessing/anticipation) and make sure they keep reaching the backline (a soft low lift is suicide, trust me..I know:eek: )

if you're playing an attcking clear:
    -make sure they recah the backline
    -delay your stroke sometimes (try it: do the stroek motion for a drop, and accelarate at the very last moment, very funny when it works)
    -do nót play them when your opponent has moved his base slightly down the line
    -Néver play them cross...you'll practically hit his head when you do..not smart

5. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Unless of course you play with plastic birdies that drop at 9.79 m/s^2

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

...wow, no wonder you gusy get such amazing verticals..around here it's 9.81 m/s^2
    :p

EDIT: to add some worth to my post: when you hit a low lob, make sure it has pace..that's really the key..

7. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Jerby, I think the acceleration is less than g (9.81 m/s^2) because there's still some slight air resistance, which is probably less than what feather shuttles have. :cool:

8. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    This may also speak to shot selection. Attacking clears are great for when you're in position, defensive high clears good for when you're not, as you know. But if they are cutting off your attacking clears despite you feel them having a good angle, you may be hitting directly do them when it would be more advantageous to hit a dropshot or cross-court.