Perseverance is the key to success

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by killersmash, Feb 23, 2007.

1. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

i used to be slacking everyday.. like lift weights like 10 times den give up coz i " wanna watch tv ". one fine day there was nothing to watch on tv.. so i decided to do some weights.. when i did 20 i slacked again and watch tv.. again there was nothing to watch.. so i did another 20.. i realised that it wasnt so hard.. so i did sets of 20... like around 20 x 10 a day... after a week .. i could feel the difference in my clears and smashes.. so the moral of the story... PERSEVERE ... and do ur training in sets.. i makes u wanna do more :D . I hope this helps improve u badminton :cool:

2. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Yea, gotta push yourself , thats the only way one can improve. Sometimes i have trouble motivating myself also when training. But i really like to get pumped during shuttle drills esspecially attacking types but very exhausting of course.

3. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I'm only really motivated when I've just been playing. I think to myself "right that's it, I'm going to train really hard from now on". But the next day I just can't be bothered doing anything. One day, one day (and it had better be soon, I only have a few months before my tournaments) I will as you say persevere. I've said that before though :(.

4. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

That's easy.
    We'll know that you persevere if you do it for at least 6 months, not for a week.
    Maybe in 6 months, you'll still be a couch potato, in spite of what you say now....

5. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    hmmmm, yeah, i had that problem last year, really lazy, bt i think i was quite motivated when i got thrashed and felt i let myself down, so i spent the whole summer doing training, running, fitness, strength stuff and i really did improve a lot, now, i can give a good game to people i had been wasted by last year. but now, with all this homework from school, i can't train as much as i'd like to! and just like phaarix, i need it for the upcoming tournaments! ahhh, school....:crying::mad::(:confused:

6. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    10 sets of 20 reps? Does that work well? According to sports medicine, your only supposed to do three sets equally balanced not 20. I think it has to do with either over ripping your muscles or not giving them enough of a rest.

7. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

well for sure 10 sets is too much, well that means two things! One: you are using way too light of a wieght, even though thats good for badminton. Two: You arew having too much rest between sets. For me personally I do 10 Reps Of 4 Sets Of 20 Pound about half a min each set

8. Adone

Adone Regular Member

Student
    why not just lift the weights while watching tv? =p Unless yur benching.

9. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    That would be alright, if you only worked out at home. I tend to go to the gym once in awhile because just working out at home doesn't really work every muscle very well unless you have the right equipment or your good enough at weight lifting to go free weights for every muscle. Don't get me wrong though, lifting weights is great when your watching a video, I do it all the time when I work out my wrist or do curls.

10. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    after a major defeat and humiliation, I lost that fighting spirit and preserverence

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    well, i just got told today about that confidence thing. you should go into a match thinking you'll win, but knowing you'll have to work hard. when you lose, you feel real stink, and then you'll know not to lose next time! :)

12. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I used to have that mentallity till my wrestling coach worked it out of me. For me, when I lose I feel like I have another hurdle that needs to be overcomed so I work harder and harder. Since there are infinite amount of people better then me, I have an almost endless supply of motivation. Another thing I picked up from wrestling is that there is no giving up (unless u know you are approaching injury of course) and that losing means you had the chance to have the match which is in itself something that you should be thankful for. Anyways, whats the fun in playing badminton if there's no challenge.

13. CanadaJon

CanadaJon New Member

Student
    @Killersmash, I began working out and dieting too, about 2 1/2 months now and I have found a big improvement in my game as well. I designed a routine that I do everynight, unless I'm busy, and try to stay away from junk foods which is hard of course. Overall, my stamina has improved and my smahes/ clears have gotten better just from doing a simple wrist excerise :D.

-Jon

14. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

if u want muscle mass/strength 4 set of 6-8 about 80-95% of max per excercise. this will give you bulky apperance. endurance higher reps 10-15 of 60-75% of your max. this will give you "cut"/lean appearance.

15. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

too much muscle will reduce the flexibility needed in badminton.. my advice is, do not overdo it..

16. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

haha .. den muscular people have to be weaker?

17. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    More like they need to work more on flexability. It's not that bulkiness or being muscular is bad, it's just that it prevents full motion of the limbs unless care is taken. For example, I have fairly buff legs from biking and trail running. While they allow me to run forever, the type and amount of muscle I have prevents me from jumping or extremely fast movements. Does this mean I shoud lose the muscles? No, just means I need to train them in other ways such as flexability.

18. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

..the will must be stronger than the skill.
    -Muhammad Ali

19. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Ya, right.. a tiny boy can win the 100metres compared with a muscular boy as long as he has the hard will..