Me and my mission to recognise fakes

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by newbie26, Feb 23, 2007.

1. newbie26

newbie26 New Member

Hi,
    dunno if you remember me from the thread about wanting to know how ot tell a fake from a geniune racket but neway, here I am again.

I got a few friends who have genuine rackets, same model (nanospeeds) but bought from different suppliers at different times - all from Yonex shops online or otherwise - we compared them and noticed that
    1. there are tiny variations in height between them
    2. the font of the serial number was not the same on them all
    3. there were colour variations between them

They were destined for differnt markets - sp, ch and so on

SO, if there is variation even in genuine rackets, how can fakes be recognised on tiney details?!

Another friend showed me a fake and I could feel that it had much less flexibility and the colourign was really really not the same at all so that was fine but I just think that judging things to be FAKE based on tiney details, you guys might be actually dismissing ones that are real but just made in a different factory or for a differnt market or whatever...

any thoughts?

newbie26 (still :confused: )

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) I bought my NS8k and NS9k in Taiwan and they are 2U. For NS8k and NS9k in US, they come in 3U. Even if they have same weight code, there are still tiney weight var. (example 3U means 85g to 89.9g)
    2) Please do a search on this subject. You need to do a comparison to get a good feeling on the serial number.
    3) You have 1 tank of paint, the paint will run out eventally. You will have to mix a new batch of the paint. They will be very close, however, they will not be "EXACTLY" the same. Same as for car.

3. newbie26

newbie26 New Member

My point is that silentheart, I agree completely, any run or rackest will have several batches that are going to differ in little details so how can you use such little detaisl to be certain that a racket is a fake?! It just seems wrong.

newbie26

4. silentheart

We are not asking the paint color to be the same between the racquets. we are looking for the font, logo, paint positions. Search for the post about how to spot the fake and you should see. Here is a little story for you. A while back ago, Sir DinkALot post some picture of 3 racquets and challenge members here to id the fake(s). http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37810&highlight=fake
    I made mistake.

5. newbie26

newbie26 New Member

Again, silentheart, this is my point. I know colours aren't always the same but the font of the serial number was different as well as these details. Also, you say that you made a mistake in identifying the fakes - so obviously identifying from photos is not reliable for spotting fakes and so the guys who post about fake ebay sellers could be completely wrong. this could even be illegal, damaging reputations and stuff for making allegations without sufficient proof.

I think this is pretty serious...

going to look at that thread now with the challenge.

newbie26

6. newbie26

newbie26 New Member

just looked at the "spot the fake" messages - it completely proves what i am trying to say here - NONE OF YOU CAN REALLY TELL FROM PHOTOS IF A RACKET IS A FAKE OR NOT! (unless it's a really obvious fake...like one I saw that said Yinex :lol: !) Sorry for caps but it's driving me mad - you all seem to be so sure and yet it seems impossible.

My shiny lovley racket arrived from centralsports and I love it and i know this is the best way to guarantee genuine rackets and it's fine with me but I am so sad for any peple selling genuine rackets that are said to be fake by you guys jus cause they might have come from different factoryies than yours came from or 'cause the lighting is wrong in the pthoto or something.

newbie26

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Funny because if you read the thread then you would of known, I knew they were all real while people who are not familar got them wrong or think it was wrong. It is either you know or you don't.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37810&page=7&highlight=fake <-- Post #110

Espeically people who get NS9K JP's there is an additional thing which give the counterfeit versions away because it is missing a detail from the genuine article.

#7 Matt, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    All Yonex high-end rackets are made in Japan factories.

There are of course other people besides myself who can tell if they are genuine or counterfeit by looking at the racket and or checking serials.

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    This is complete bogus. The fake ebay sellers, are so easy to catch with details which gives them away instantly. As I mentioned before, if you know your stuff, you can tell, otherwise you don't.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    newbie26 could be a fake reazvawda, come with certain fonts and typo too:p

11. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Troll alert!!! :D

12. newbie26

newbie26 New Member

Hi, sorry for getting frustratted and cyber-shouting! I am not a troll and I have nothign to do with reazvawda...some sympathy for him, but nothing to do iwth him.

There were people on that thread who seemed to know their stuff and still got it wrong,that's what confuses me. I don't think I was still reading each and every post by post 110 so I may have missed you being right, matt. So, I understand that you are good at it and probably get it right most of the time but it seems to me impossible to get it right ALL of the time just from photos...especially with slight variations that mgiht be due to different batchs that could throw small details off.

Would you really guarantee that you can tell a fake always from a photo? Do you not think that you could get it wrong sometimes if it was a racket you weren't familiar with? Like the guy (was it you?) on the other thread saying about the spaces between the circles and the triangle on the logo - well, on the rackets in the "spot the fake" post, the logos didn't appear identically spaced even though tye were all genuine. Do you think my eyes are wonky or am I right in saying that?!

I do wnat to continue studying to see if I will eventually be able to spot fakes by photos and not just by havign to see them and feel them but I just don't think I will ever be confident enough to do it so instantly and dismiss people as fake sellers without touching the goods...

Thanks for all your time in reading this. I hope you don't still thinkI am a troll (and sorry for typos and stuff...)

newbie26

13. D-man2005

D-man2005 Regular Member

Advice.

Hello Newbie26,

Everyone on this forum gives advice and tries to steer people away from getting ripped off. You either listen to the advice or not. We are all human and we all make mistakes.

The pros at spotting fakes on this forum don't only base their advice on how the racquet looks. They base it on how the ebay seller markets the racquet and experiences of other people who have received fakes and were ripped off. The pros look at the whole picture before they state that the racquets are fake.

Would you rather ignore their advice and still buy from someone on ebay that states their racquet is bought straight from the factory in Taiwan and is OEM. You get the $190 USD racquet for only $110 USD, what a deal. When you receive the racquet you find out you have a fake that cost $10 USD or less to make and breaks within a few sessions. How would you feel?

One major point is that all High End Yonex racquets are made in Japan. Only racquets that cost less than $100 are made in Taiwan.

Factories make racquets in batches, each batch can be slightly different. Even racquets in the same batch can be slightly different. That is why Yonex places specs with ranges. (Example: 2U is 94 to 96 grams.) If every single racquet was the same and perfect, Yonex wouldn't need to give a warranty and we would live in a perfect world. Of course this is not the case.

My point is don't look only at the pictures advertised on ebay. What you see, might not be what you get. Look at the whole picture, read how the item is advertised or marketed. If it is too good to be true, then it might not be true. Do research on the item about to be purchased, know what the real deal looks like and how it feels. Don't believe the sellers feedback, that can also be faked.

When many people state that a certain ebayer is selling fakes there is usually history of complaints to back up the claim. Many of the fake sellers keep on changing their ebay name and making bogus feedbacks, this could be done in just one day. Even with the changed name you can still spot them because their advertising or marketing is exactly the same, including their pictures. Since I wrote this the fake sellers might even smarten up a little after reading it.

Just my two cents worth of advice, take it or leave it is up to you.

Regard,

D-man

14. silentheart

Also, the pictures on the ebay often are directly from YY website and not the picture of the real item. When in any doubt, don't buy from internet. My rule of thumb is to check out the goods before you hand over the money!

15. newbie26

newbie26 New Member

Thanks for your long post D-man - I have taken the advice here and bought from a reputable online dealer 'cause I don't want to take any risks with my money.

I disagree that people here don't just base their judgments on how a racket looks - some of them do exactly that, though not all. Basing it on how an ebayer markets it is not really reliable either, in my book as obviously someone could be an a veteran baddy player but not have a clue about how to sell something so could market it really badly.

You say that people mostly base judgments on photos AND marketing stuff AND ebay feedback or history but this is not always true....and those who aren't so careful and jump to conclusions based on just photos post here and then their opinion is seen by others and then some seller is branded a fake - it seems to happen a lot and it's really sad. I can see that osme people here are really careful and they are to be admired but there are also people here that seem to be so eager to show how great they are at spottign fakes that they just say it straight off.

I am happy 'cause I spotted my first fake in the rubbish stiff one my friend showed me but frustrated too that the majority of posters here seem to claim to have a clue and nto really. Even those who do have a clue are bound to get it wrong seomtimes and don't seem to care...and I don't think I have ever seen anyone say "oh right, i am wrong, I thought it was fake but I didn't look closely enough" which MUSt happen sometime.

sorry, I really should be doing something better with my Friday evenign than all this but I play tomorrow and I was hoping to have mroe tips for my nanospeed friends whose rackets are all different...

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it seem newbie26 wanna doubt our ability to identifying fakes instead of searching BF with great resources and read up on various fakes.

17. newbie26

newbie26 New Member

Hi cooler - I do doubt the ability of some of you to doubt fakes, that's right. I've been open 'bout that.

I've also been open about the fact that I have taken advice crom here and searched the resources and read up abotu fakes.

Having done all that, I think it's fair enuff for me to say that I doubt the ability of some to spot fakes just from photos. It also seems to me that some people are likely to have been hard done by by people saying that they are "definitely" selling fakes when it's not possible to know for sure

I really do feel grateful for all the time people have taken in answering my threads and in putting threads up wiht warnigns and guidance and advice....really I do.

18. D-man2005

D-man2005 Regular Member

Admitting that they are wrong.

People don't like admitting that they are wrong, it is part of human nature.

Just let your friends know if they bought it from an authorized dealer then their racquets are legit.

I have a Cab 20 new version that has smudge lettering that was bought from a authorized dealer. A experienced player that is ranked in B division who strings many racquets for other people. Looked at my racquet and stated that he thinks it is a fake. He based it on the smudge lettering and that the butt cap was new gold logo on black. He never saw a butt cap with new gold logo on black before on a new racquet. Based on what he knows he informed me that my racquet was fake. I didn't correct him because he has a right to his opinion and I didn't want to prove him wrong in front of other people. No one likes getting proven wrong in public.

Same goes here on a public forum.

Cheers,

D-man

19. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    seriously, the people here who identify counterfeits are not obligated to do so and if you're questioning our so called "wrong jugdment", then maybe you should start researching yourself and prove us wrong. i am pretty confident that i can spot a counterfeit racquet when i see one because they have imperfections and i have bever seen or heard of a 'perfectly' made counterfeit racquet but that may change in the near future.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

It seem newbie26 declares himself as a noob in identifying fakes and yet he doubts and critizes of advices given here. His writing style keep coming from a seller prospective. If ur not reazvawda, u sure seem associated with reazvawda which is just as deceitful.

#20 cooler, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007