Considering your Margin of Error

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by viper_mav, Feb 23, 2007.

1. viper_mav

viper_mav Regular Member

Wow, I'm quite surprised that few responses in the thread on serving to the T in singles took into consideration one's Margin of Error:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40934

I've known about the concept of Margin of Error for some time and have successfully integrated into my game, but it seems like many out there still do not understand this concept. For the ones that don't understand this concept, maybe I shouldn't be telling you this because I'll simply be making you a better player the next time you play against me ;)

First and foremost, consistency wins in badminton. Period. Give me a badminton player that never hits it out no matter who he/she plays, and I'll point you to the fact that this player is the world champion. Of course, no such player exists but you get the idea.

If you've watched Tennis before, two of the most important stats is the number of unforced errors and the number of double faults. You will quickly notice a trend where the winning player almost always has less unforced errors and less double faults compared to his/her opponent. If you are astute enough, in badminton, you will also notice that the player/team that often wins is also the player/team that is more consistent.

Now for margin of error:

Everybody has a margin of error and everybody's margin of error will vary depending on one's skill. But for simplicity, professionals like Peter Gade, Lin Dan, etc, have a very small margin of error. Conversely, beginners in general have a very wide margin of error.

Now, as an excercise, from the back corner of the singles service boundary, get your partner or friend to throw a dozen shuttles up in the air and your objective is to smash each shuttle exactly down the singles line. You will notice that a portion of the shuttles that you smash will be to the right side of the line, and a portion of the shuttles you smash will be to the left side of the line. For simplicity, let's assume you didn't smash any shuttles exactly on the line. Furthermore, let's assume the portion of shuttles to the right of the line is 50%, and the portion of shuttles to the left of the line is 50%. Finally, where every shuttle contacts the court, you will mark the spot (of course, don't do this in real life because if the owner of the gym sees you marked up his entire court, he will ban you for life, LOL).

Now, repeat this excercise with 1000 shuttles. If you have marked the spot on the court of every point where the shuttle made contact, and you average out the distance of all these points to the line, you will start to get a rough idea of your margin of error. Notice that sometimes, some of the shuttles land within inches of the line while at other times, the shuttles may land a few feet from the line, etc. The average distance of all the spots you marked from the line is your margin of error. Chances are, you may even have a different margin of error for the shuttles that landed on the left side, versus the shuttles that landed on the right side.

Now, if we get a professional like Lin Dan or Peter Gade to repeat the same excercise, Peter Gade or Lin Dan will also smash a portion of shuttles to the right of the line and a portion of shuttles to the left of the line (although they are more likely to hit the line exactly, LOL!). The difference between Lin Dan and Peter Gade versus mere mortals like us, is that they have probably have a lower margin of error ... that is, the 1000 shuttles they hit have a tendency to land much closer to the line than mere mortals like us.

Now, how do we apply this to a real badminton match? Let's say your margin of error is 6 inches from the line because you conducted the test with 1000 shuttles as mentioned above and your margin of error averaged out to 6 inches. Well, if you know your margin of error is 6 inches, if you want to play consistently, that means that you should smash 6 inches within the line, to miminize the possibility of smashing it out.

Get it now?

You can easily extend the concept of margin of error to other aspects of badminton. For example, everybody also has a margin of error with respect to the net. If you aim exactly for the tape, a certain proportion of shots you hit will go over the tape, and a certain proportion of shots you hit will go under the tape.

Furthermore, if we exclude the effect of slicing & cutting, notice that in general, the less distance your shot has to travel, the higher the margin of error. Thus, if you are killing a shot from the net down the line, that is more accurate than smashing a shot from the base down the line.

Likewise, if you are doing a backhand serve close to the net, notice how it's much easier to serve within inches of the front T in the front court, versus flick serving it within inches of the back T in the back court.

Also, your margin of error typically widens when you are under increased pressure (ie. you are late getting to the shuttle). Furthermore, your margin of error is also related to your form, footwork, technique, and balance. Thus, professionals like Peter Gade and Lin Dan are better than us in all these aspects and that is why their margin of error is lower than us.

Viper_Mav

#1 viper_mav, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    well, this concept applies to business, investing, dating, socializing and life in general as well. U also forgot another complement element: risk taking. One do not alway do things within their margin of error all the time.

3. viper_mav

viper_mav Regular Member

Yes, you may want to gamble on certain points. But gambling every stroke for the entire match? ...

Viper_mav

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    didn't say that.

U sound like saying if one know their margin of error, then one can be consistent and win games.

5. viper_mav

viper_mav Regular Member

Nope, I'm saying that many players aren't cognizant that they have a specific margin of error and often tend to go for shots down the line, or very tight drops, etc, when they have a wide margin of error. These types of players often play very inconsistently.

Viper_Mav

6. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

going for shots down the line if given the opportunity i'd definitely go for it every single chance i have but with tight drops? well....its a different story

7. Mads "U"

Mads "U" Regular Member

Documentation Engineer
    Spectacular !
    Working with the margin of error, instead of just accepting that some shots end up "elsewhere".
    Never really thought of it that way.
    I think all of us has a sub-conscious part of the brain, which has realised that we need to allow for a certain margin of error.
    What may fool us, to think otherwise is, that when we see our smashes go down, it will often be the ones, which are to the "line side" of the margin - away from our opponent. This may lead our brain to believe, that we actually aimed for the line, when our - more wise - body in fact aimed a little to the inside.

However, bringing this to the attention of the conscious brain, allows us to work with it.
    Maybe even use some testing to see what kind of exercises are best for reducing the margin of error.

One thing though.
    I don't agree on the coupling between margin of error - unforced errors - and winning.
    I accept the trend - but It's not the full story.
    In the recent Danish Championship final between Peter Gade and Kenneth Jonasson, Peter Gade won first set, after producing something like 12 unforced errors! Jonassen had his usual around 4.

However, Peter Gade also had 14 winnners, Jonassen none (or close to)

The difference stemming from Peter Gade trying to keep the rallies short, and Jonassen trying to keep the shuttle airborne.

Working with the margin of error, thus can also be a matter of calculated risk, as opposed to just avoiding errors. I bet that most of the international players could complete a game against Lin Dan with 0 (zero) unforced errrors. (and just as many points).

But knowing your margin - Certainly can help you to hit more winners than errors, when you need to pump up the game to avoid loosing to a safety and stamina player.

8. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Well if people learn to smash more to the middle line of the court and drop to the mid part of the net, no consideration for the margin of error is necessary and a lot more points can be won.

9. morewood

morewood Regular Member

A lot of what your talking about depends on the opponent that your playing against, my margin of error goes up dramatically when I am forced to run about and play the less obvious killer shot. Against a week opponent or on a static test (such as the serve to the long T) my error rate will be low or very low.
    Against a county level player however my error rate will be higher as the chances are I am having to fight to be in the right position to play any appropriate shot.

10. viper_mav

viper_mav Regular Member

Heh, well, as you said, Peter Gade had to hit 14 winners to make up for his 12 unforced errors :D

Viper_Mav