Am I Ready For The AT700?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Glencoclub-Nick, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Glencoclub-Nick

Glencoclub-Nick Regular Member

Hi everyone, I am wondering what is your opinion on me getting an AT700. I am an offensive style player and right now I am using an 3U AT500 and like the balance, but it is a bit to flexy for my likes. So I want to know should I get a 4U or 3U AT700, or possibly a MP100 (I am a fan of the armortecs though).

2. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    If you use the AT500 and can handle the head heaviness and weight (3U), I suggest going for the AT700 (3U) for an added punch to your smashes because of it's stiffness.

3. Glencoclub-Nick

Thanks for the quick reply(fastest ive ever seen!) I was thinking the same way but does the 4U have as much power or close to it, and how much more head heavy is the AT700 compared to the 500? Also how stiff are they compared?

4. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    watch out... AT 700 is a killer. I'd definately try the 3U before you get it.

My friend bought it without trying and he regretted it. He hurt his wrist while doing a smash (and his arm is pretty big). AT 700 hurts me too when I play doubles with it.

try before you buy ^_^

5. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I've tried all these racquets. First of all are you thinking about the old or the new coloured AT700s? The new ones are supposed to be lighter.

For me, I found the AT700 4U perfect. I had an AT500 3U, they replaced it with an AT500 4U which I only really use for doubles. I found the AT700 4U perfect for my game if you want a little extra MPH on your smash.

MP100 is a good racket, but rather than adding power, it adds a lot of control. I mean a LOT. So it depends what you want. The AT700's shaft definitely isn't as stiff, so if you've got a good swing speed, you may get more out of the MP100.

6. Glencoclub-Nick

Im not sure where to try one (other than going to a store and swinging it) but im sure if im used to my AT500 it shouldnt take to long to adjust. Also how much less is the max sting tension on the 4U than the 3U?

7. Glencoclub-Nick

And I was thinking of the newer one, do you know how much lighter it is?

8. GunBlade008

Student, Retail.
    I personally have used the 4U and 3U of the AT700. I couldn't generate enough power/speed in my swing with the 3U so I switched to 4U, which fits me perfectly. My friend (Who is an Ontario A player, representing Ontario at the College Nationals) has great power and has used the 3U At500 and At700 3U and 4U. On a scale of 1 - 10 in terms of smashing speed/power, he would get his maximum (10) with the AT700 3U. He would get about 9 with his AT500 3U and had about a 4 with the AT700 4U. The 4U is much lighter than the 3U and you'll notice the difference right away. The flex is stiffer than an AT500, but try before you buy! It all comes down to preference!!

9. Glencoclub-Nick

So your saying that the AT700 4U has alot less power than the 3U? about 60% according to one guy. thats alot of power difference. And do you know where I could try an AT700, because I dont have any friends that have one.

10. GunBlade008

Student, Retail.
    Well, for someone that has a slow swing speed (and if I may say so, weak) as myself, a 4U would be optimal because it suits my physique and style. For someone built as him, he likes the 3U more because it has more weight which contributes to more power. So in the end, it is all about preference. However, generally speaking, the 3U does have more power than the 4U. I don't know any racquet stores in your location, and although I like to discourage people from Ebay, I would ONLY recommend tum98, who I have dealt with twice and I have received genuine goods from him on time.

11. Glencoclub-Nick

I guess i'll just go to a store and see which one feels better and then decide.

12. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    If you want the 3U, prepare for a radical change from the AT500. The 4U will bump you up some MPH without a lot of adapting needed. I doubt there is a 40% difference from the 4U to 3U. It may be just his preference. Last time I checked, about 70% of smashing power depended on the player not the racquet. I'd give strings 20% and then racquet and grip the other 10%. When you hear players ranting about their new racquet, its just the honeymoon phase, which is the PLAYER's mentality to expect to do well with his/her brand new racquet.

I am desperately looking for another pair of 4U AT700s. Do I think it'll make my smash God-like and I'll be able to move like Lin Dan? No. Do I enjoy the extra little omph? Yes. Is it worth the money when I already have 2 very good similar racquets? No, but since the AT700 is the sexiest racquet ever made by YY and I feel the most comfortable with it, Yes.

13. Glencoclub-Nick

Im leaning towards the 4U right now because it sounds like it would suit me better, because I dont want all that different of a racket than my AT500 just a bit stiffer shaft and more power, so that sounds right.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u should look into at700 and at800of. However, calgary stores don't carry these in 4U

15. Glencoclub-Nick

Calgary stores dont carry the AT800of because of the deffect, or at least racket central dosent

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

that's odd, i find 3U at800of average to above average durability. I havent seen and heard one broke yet. As eggroll said b4, canada yonex discontinue selling at800. I personally has a 4u at800of

17. Glencoclub-Nick

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

my guessed explanation is that they sold out of at800of and not the 800de yet.

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The so call defect is just a rumor which started by a few member who was told so. However, most ppl (including quite a few experienced stringers) believe the breakage is more down to a poor string job.

From what I heard and see, AT800 has NO defect. :cool:

20. Chire

Chire Regular Member

All of my AT800 Offensives have lasted fine even though I use them every day.

Anyway, since you like a tad stiffer rackets than AT500, I seriously recommend that you at least consider switching to AT800 Offensive, if you just can get your hands on one. I used to play with AT500s (3U) but thought that I can handle a stiffer racket and want more power and therefore switched to AT800 Offensive. I haven't regretted since. But AT700 is a great choice too, only tried the 3U though, whose stiffness is more comparable to AT500 than to AT800Off.

Oh, and when you've decided which racket to buy and played with it for some time, please write some comments to this thread!