Upgrade to AT300 or to AT500?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by CrimsonRain, Feb 25, 2007.

1. CrimsonRain

CrimsonRain Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hiya!

Right now, I've been using AT150 (after 6 months of using a recreational racket -_-') and was thinking of getting a better racket after that. I really like the armortec series and thought I should stick with it. AT150 eventually became too flexible for me. I was wondering, if it would be alright to go for AT500 or AT300. I don't want to end up buying two rackets unless I have too ><'. I'm pretty fine with the stiffness between AT300 and AT500, since AT150 is almost the same as AT300.

So I need your opinions/objections/feedback of whether I should go for AT300 or AT500 after a good period of time with AT150.

Thanks in advance!

2. CrimsonCards

CrimsonCards Regular Member

School
    Go with the 500, its a racket you can grow into and its amazing on all types of play such as quick defending, power, drops and control. Its also a great mid intermediate to high intermediate racket.

3. slam_w2k

slam_w2k Regular Member

I own both the AT150, and AT300, both US version. The AT150 is 3U and the AT300 is 4U(lighter). The AT500 US version would be 4U also.

Both the 150 and 300 has medisum shift, but the 150 is more head heavy, also being a 3U, it is heavy then the 300. I think the 300 does give me more power, I guess the material does make some different.

It you look for a more powerful and stiffer racket, the AT500 should be a better choice. But as a AT300 user, I can't play with stiff racket such as the 9000S. So try the AT500 see if you like it, if not, go with the AT300, it should give you about the same feel(but lighter) then the AT150, but you should get more power from it.

4. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    AT500 is an extremely popular racquet where I live. Everywhere I go, you'll see one about one per court. It's understandable because the 500 is such a good balance between offensive and defensive, singles and doubles play, it can really be used for everything unless you really wanted to concentrate on one area. I personally think it'll be a good choice if you're looking for something.

5. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    You should give the AT500 a try, it is such a fun racket, it's got loads of power yet still quite quick for defence play.

6. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I've been playing with an AT 500 for about 8 months now and I love it and have just bought another one. :)
    I've had it custom strung to 25lbs and it's perfect, I'm so pleased with I'm tempted to buy a third! :D

7. schuweiz

schuweiz Regular Member

At-500 is still a head heavy racquet with almost the same swing weigh of AT-700. *Seriously the flexibility of At-500 almost the same as AT-700* Pack lots of power but just a tad bit less than At-700. Highly recommended:D

8. CrimsonRain

Pharmacy Student
    ok thanks you all

i just bought the AT500

but i was surprised...that it wasnt that much stiffer then the AT150...held one hand on the grip and the other on the head and bended them a little...and it took almost the same effort to bend both...is that normal or is that just a bad way of telling stiffness?

9. CrimsonCards

CrimsonCards Regular Member

School
    hmmm, its not an awful way to check stifness, but i think you'll
    notice the differen when oyu start palyign with it, tell us how it went
    your 1st time out with it

10. CrimsonRain

Pharmacy Student
    well..i just tried it out...and itz a bit different from the AT150...it might have been the extra stiffness or the 4U though...i strung it with bg80 at 25lbs and its pretty good

11. CrimsonRain

Pharmacy Student
    can sumone with an AT500 tell me if itz kind of easy to bend the racket?

12. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Mine is a 3U version and it is pretty easy to bend the shaft. Don't let that bother you too much though, once you start getting use to it, it is a very powerful racket.

13. CrimsonRain

Pharmacy Student
    ahh...ok thanks! :D

14. schuweiz

schuweiz Regular Member

i believe that you can bend a racquet with a finger on any badminton racquet. it would be rather hard to feel how stiff it is unless that you have a range of racquets to compare to one after another. Do you find that it take a little more effort to 'whip' or to get the whipping effect from the new AT-500? if yes, then it is stiffer :D