How to heal a sprained ankle??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Blurry D, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    I sprain my left leg a week ago and it has not healed yet.Pretty frustrated as i am unable to shift my weight on my left leg.It hurts.

So do you guys have any remedies that can help me recover at a faster rate?

Please do help me as i cant done almost everything possible and i still am not seeing results..

2. noluckjim

noluckjim Regular Member

Student
    If it's hurting that bad, you really should see a physiotherapist. And stop playing (assuming you haven't already). That is typically the fastest route to recovery :)

3. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Usually it take at least 2-3 weeks for a minor sprained ankle to heal, longer if it is more serious. To be honest, it is best to not do any impact sports which can do more damage to your existing injury. I've personally tried wearing an ankle support and massage the injured area with medication which helps but if you want to heal the fastest, stop playing and see the doctor ASAP.

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I agree. If you still can't put any weight on it after a week, that sounds quite bad. It may be more than a simple sprain so you should seek professional advice. An X-ray may be required.

5. Slater

Slater Regular Member

It takes about 6-8 weeks for an ankle sprain to completely heal if it is quite bad. you can't put your weight on the sprained ankle and its prety swollen. By resting for this period of time the ankle will heal by itself and let nature takes its course. Once you can put your weight on the ankle without feeling much discomfort, start walking. Walking will help strengthen your muscles around your ankle and speed recovery.

If the pain does not subside after a few days, then it is recommended to see a doc. The doc might ask you take an x ray to see if you have injured your ligaments.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you had use "RICE" immediately after you sprained your ankle, the healing would be much faster. "RICE" stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation, and is often used in soccer matches and other sports.

7. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Weight off the ankle and cold packs to reduce swelling immediately after injury, then its a case of wait for it to heal before stressing it again.

8. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    It happened when i was playing badminton. Was trying to take a baseline shot on the right and i fell awkwardly and it has sound like "crack". I did not really feel the initial pain and continue to play.

Later on, after the game i took off my shoes and was surprised with the swelling that had began to swell.Moments later, i could not walk anymore.Limping in pain back home.Ouchhhhhhh

Will take all of your advise and will see a doctor ASAP... Thanks

9. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Blurry D - that loud crack you heard sound suspiciously like you've snapped your Achilles tendons. It happened to my uncle once, when he heard a loud crack and thought his doubles partner had hit him; but it turned out that he snapped his Achilles tendons. Definitely need to see a doctor, and real soon!

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

#9 gsloh, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sounds the injury is pretty serious. Go to visit a doctor asap, and stop any sports activities. Intensive play after a sprain ankle usually result in much worse situation. :cool:

11. Slater

Slater Regular Member

If you've heard a loud crack or pop when you fell, chances are you've torn your ankle ligaments. in any case, you should seek doctors advice and go for a medical examination straight away.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hope you get well soon...

..Blurry D...but wow, after reading your 2nd post, describing what happened & what you heard, it sounds like the injury could be more serious(cross fingers it won't be)...:(
    As for my own experience, yes, I, myself, have sprained both of my ankles(left & right). And both were injured playing badminton(after many yrs of not playing and even played basketball actively). I sprained my left ankle first. I was a bit lucky because it happened on the lower/inside of my ankle. Used lots of ice and rest to reduce the swelling & took abt 5-6 weeks to heal. Now i can say i don't feel any pain. However, on my right one, which i sprained last yr but already healed, the pain still lingers everytime i try to roll my ankle & i can still feel a slight pain whenever i rub around the area. I used the same method of icing and rest & it took abt 6-7 weeks to heal. There's also a bit of bulge around the injured area. I guess it's more of a high ankle sprain, one which will probably won't heal ever(probably w/out surgery). I even went to a sports physician, after it healed, and asked for some advice. I asked him what kinds of simple exercise(s) i can do. He only suggested to try to roll my ankle the same way/direction i sprained it, and hold it for 10-20 sec. Do that a few times because he said that way it'll losen up/stretch the tendons. Been doing it for the last 2-3+ months but there are still minimal changes. There are a couple more simple exercises, but it's a bit difficult in explaining them.

Anyway, like everyone else have suggested, let it heal(using the R.I.C.E. method) and if it still lingers, go see a sports physician. Or if you want to go to one now, it might be better. Or perhaps our sportsdoc can chime in on this as well..Get well soon!!;) :cool:

#12 ctjcad, Feb 26, 2007
  13. sportsdoc

sportsdoc Regular Member

Sports Physician
    You need to rule out and determine the severity of ligament tear in the ankle. An X-ray may be required is fracture is suspected especially if weightbearing is not possible. It will be necessary to do some rehabilitation exercises to ensure that you will regain power, balance and prevent recurrence.

See your sports physician and physiotherapist.

http://sportsnmedicine.blogspot.com

14. wantedman

wantedman Regular Member

ive had some serious ankle injuries in the past couple of years, and what all these guys are saying is good advice. DO NOT continue to play if it still hurts, and when it has healed, get back into activity slowing so it has time to get used to all the stress. also a doctor visit and an x-ray would be a good idea, maybe they can find out exactly whats wrong.

good luck and hope it gets better =)

15. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

A weakened ankle can be easily sprained again, and again. So you should not cut corners when it comes to resting and recouperating. A sprained ankle can also cause your other ankle to sprain as you attempt to shift more weight onto the other foot. Unless you life depends on it, you should not risk playing badminton until you are completely healed, regardless of how long it takes. The pain and immobility is just not worth it.

There are all kinds of ways to prevent spraining include exercises (never tried it to know if it works), and ankle braces (found them to stop blood flow if too tight, useless if not tight enough. but i sprained while using them anyway).

I used to sprain my ankle every few weeks either because of poor footwork or of poor feet bio-geometry. The only drastic solution that worked for me was a high top basketball shoes with moderately rigid ankle top and fairly thick ankle side padding. In the early days of my using the shoes whilest I still had the weak ankles from previous injuries, I sprained a couple of times and had my ankle landing on the side padding. The padding was effective enough to allow me to get up as if nothing had happened. Had my ankle landed on the hard floor, the game would have been up there and then. The high shoe top was very good at preventing my feet and ankle from getting into a dangerous angle. I haven't had a sprain for at least 1.5 years now. Although I am stuck wearing only backetball shoes for badminton.

#15 CoolDoo6, Feb 26, 2007
  16. Misbehavin

Misbehavin Regular Member

Bean counting part time, imaginary baddy fulltime
    I have always had ankle problems ... since I bought ankle supports from a physio that look like a shoe (they have laces in the front as well and straps) with 2 strips of flexible "plastic" on each side to stop the ankle rolling over. Since wearing them I have not had a single injury and previously I would sprain an ankle every 3 months. Before I bought the support I had twisted both ankles :crying: playing badminton.

After a week's rest I could play badminton and not feel any pain from the sprain. My ankles are now healed and I still wear them when I play and have been injury free for 9 months. A few times the support has saved my ankles from injury usually when I play badminton on hard surfaces (not wood).

My teenager daughter also uses one for soccer and since then she has not had problems as well.

We do not find the brace restrictive at all but looks a little funny and they have been mistaken by many people as ankle weights.

Good luck.:D

17. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    Dear all,

Thanks for all your advise and concerns.I have consulted a physician and it is just minor sprain.The doctor says that my ankle is inflamed.Talk about a foot on fire.However, the problem does not really lies in my sprain ankle but my stubborness.After the sprain i should have stop playing for at least a week or two. Only after that I should slowly regain strength.

Rest that was lacking causes it to heal at a slower rate.Well you cant stop a guy that play badminton 4-5 times a week.I play competitively.I suppose i need time for it to heal or it can be worst on me.

Thanks all again...

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Phew, good to hear that it wasn't as serious...

...as you and all of us had imagined..:p ;)
    But, that "crack" sound you heard, what was it??..:confused:

19. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

might have been something similar to when you "crack" or "pop" your knuckles

20. Mads "U"

Mads "U" Regular Member

Documentation Engineer
    Quick test to see if ancle is OK.

Your road back to safe playing has three main milestones.
    1) Swelling and pain is gone.
    2) Recovery training can be done without (too much) pain and swelling. Swelling goes away quickly after training sessions.

3) Brain is healed, so signals from and to the foot are back to normal.

The Quick test.
    Once your fysio and/or your gut feeling tells you that the ancle is sufficiently healed, try this to gauge how "healed" the brain is.
    It is easy and fun - or scary - depending on how it goes.

Stand up - lift your "sick" foot - so you stand on your good foot. Close your eyes - still standing on one foot.
    You will find that it is difficult - and hard work - to remain standing.
    Now - stand on your "sick" foot and close your eyes.
    On a freshly sprained ancle it will be close to impossible to keep the balance - for some even with the eyes open.
    If you can't keep the balance on one foot with eyes open, don't even think of training anything.

Pratice standing on your sick foot with eyes closed.
    It is both good for the brain, and for the muscles controlling the ancle.