Skipping rope

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Youngunz_77, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Youngunz_77

Youngunz_77 Regular Member

hearing from my coach and a lot of people around the forums. it seems like it is a great exercise to do for badminton

now im just wondering. are there any specific benefits from skipping?

if u know post away

ty in advance

2. asphyxiate

asphyxiate Regular Member

Yes, pretty much anyone training for badminton will have a skipping rope in their bag... er, I think it improves cardio and I think its just a really good way to keep up fitness.. though maybe it adds faster reaction times (having to do doubles or triples)?? Haha, I really don't know.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there 3 main benefits to rope skipping:

1. cardio, skipping rope for 500 revs is quite a workout!
    2. strengthening speed and power of your calf muscle.
    3. strengthening and loosening wrist muscle.

4. Youngunz_77

i can see that , lovin it

5. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    id like to add something. It also increases your reaction time and coordination. It also works your entire arm if you do different types of skipping like crossovers (crossing your arm while skipping)
    doing different drills like lunge skips, high knee skips, and turn/ rotate skips can work every part of your leg, and strengthen your leg muscles just as much as doing footwork drills and running.

6. wantedman

wantedman Regular Member

ive never heard of lunge skips, gonna have to try those out. =)

7. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Most high level players will skip to warm up for matches.

8. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I would say that the best benefit of skipping rope is not physical at all! Instead, if you are just starting out it can be a good general method of developing coordination and focus.

As for the physical aspect of skipping, I don't think there's anything sacred about having to jump over a rope. Here's an alternative exercise: find a mark on the floor (e.g. a line or a dot) and hop over it as quickly as possible for 30 seconds. Without a rope you can easily get at least 4 hops per second, but using a jump rope you'll probably max out at around 3-4 hops per second due to the slowness of the rope. If pure foot quickness is what you intend to train, which exercise is better suited for your goals?

9. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    skipping rope is a competetive sport belive it or not. And there are speed/rotation disciplines. Ad they can get up to 300 rotations in 1 min. thats like 6 a secound.

the only vid i could find on youtube was in the team category though:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEcsM0EaA4

look it up in wikipedia

10. sulismies

sulismies Regular Member

11. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Sure, it's possible, but consider how much practice they took to get to that level of skipping prowess. Also, they probably have a good speed rope, which includes a thin rope and ball-bearings in the handles, which must cost some money as well.

The point is, unless you're also training to be a competitive rope skipper, skipping rope should be considered adjunct training. The same goes for running, powerlifts, olympic lifts, gymnastic moves, etc. You extract elements from those other forms of training considering 1. potential gain 2. chance of injury 3. idiot-proofness

In the time it takes to become an elite rope jumper, could you be getting more benefits to your game doing some other form of training?

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

...Wow... That's crazy. I'm going to have to dig out my skipping rope...

Actually I'm not too sure why I never really got into skipping. I'd heard so much about it in relation to badminton. Guess I'm just lazy. Never too late to start though!

13. Youngunz_77

i therefore conclude that badminton players should get in the habit of skipping :)

14. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    Skipping is supoosed to be a great work out/warm up for any sport. Every sport I've ever played, the coach always says tp skip at home to keep in shape for the game.:D

15. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

16. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Time to buy some skipping ropes!!! Mehh do you think weighted skipping ropes are better?

17. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

i'm afraid this is a complete misconception of rope jumping. so how would you get someone into good shape prior to tournaments or just globaly speaking? jumping rope is an exercise that requires small but explosive moves, wich makes it REALLY HARD to get injured. you'll probably get injured more easily walking down a stair.

of course, we're not professional rope jumpers so yes of course it's just additional form of training, you're all badminton players afterall (so am i but now just for recreation and stamina),but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't jump rope. there are no negative sides of rope jumping, it can only benefit you.

for you who play badminton, tempo is crucial, if your legs can't keep up the pace in later stages of game, you're most likely to lose. RJ makes you keep the tempo up all the time, it increases both your aerobic and anaerobic capacity. if you pick up the pace to about 2 turns per second, it can make you go up to 85-95% of your maximum heart beat rate. for badminton crucial, it develops your fast twitch muscles. it develops your balance and coordination (again very important for badminton), agility in most effective way, speed, quickness, explosivness, you name it bro. and it's not just about your legs, it will hit your whole upper body muscles, chest, traps, back muscles, shoulders, and not to mention your forearms and wrists. when you pick up the tempo your forearms shall cry, of course until you get into better shape. RJ is also a mental training because it improves your concentration, until you try jumping you won't know how important factor this is.

a long time ago i've found a very nice exercise comparison chart saying:
    10 min. RJ at 120 turns/min produces the same cardiovascular fitness as: two tennis sets, 20 min. handball, 30 min. jogging, 12 min. swimming, running 1 mile in 12 min., cycling 2 miles in 6 minutes.
    so i really don't see what's so wrong with spending some time that was anyway booked for conditioning on rope jumping.

my current training partner thought that jumping rope was just for little girls hopping down the street, but i can tell you that he changed his mind after the first few minutes of jumping.

now...go buy some ropes ppl :)

18. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    We will buy some ropes !!! Oh btw handball rules!!!!

19. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

for starters i would just use regular ropes. your arms would probably fall off :). they only bring up the workout intensity as they aim for greater upper body strength. you need to build up some stamina in your upper body muscles first.

20. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

one more little thing to mention, someone mentioned something about jump ropes being expensive, so i thought i could add some more text here. :) about those buddy lee jumpropes, yea they're amazing, most perfectly balanced and fastest jumpropes i've ever used, but it doesn't mean that you have to go out and buy the most expensive model. any of these will do just fine for starters, later on you'll figure out if you need a faster, lighter or heavier model. so it really doesn't have to be a buddy lee rope. just buy a fast rope made of rubber. swivel bearing would be nice, but you can live without these too.