Lose a row of string, but more power?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Monster, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Guys,

Forgive me if I am in the wrong forum (I think I am not). I recently re-strang my racket at 22 lbs which is quite usual of what I normally use. The shop attendant however told the stringer to string at 65. I don't know what unit system that is.

Next, I was asked if I want to leave a hole which is located pretty close to the T-junction between the racket frame and the shaft empty. And so I said yes, just to try out what the difference is and why do people do that.

Results? I feel more power esp where I usually have weak backhand returns, I now have a more powerful backhand return.

I still use the same racket - Yonex Titanium Ti-8. My questions are;

1. Is it the ambiguous 65 tension which could mean lower than 22lbs tension, so more bounce? But it does feel stiffer than a 19 or 20 lbs tension (based on pressing and scratching the weave)

2. Is the the empty row of string ?

3. I have improved? I think I have generally, but I don't feel the extra power is from improved technique/skills.

4. Others ?ry out what the difference is and why do people do that.

Hope to hear comments from you guys.

#1 Monster, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    i am totally confused about what you said. are you sure 65 is not bg65...? also, take a picture so i can see what you mean by "lose a row or strings".

Cheers!

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

4. Monster

Monster Regular Member

ryim,

No, I told the guy I wanted Yonex BG-66 and tension 22. The fellow instructed his stringer to string at 65 tension and not 65 type string. And I see the BG66 written on the string now.

So, it shouldn't be mis-communication. Follow on the link that Neil Nicholls gave. It answers what I was asking.

Neil,

I guess from reading the link, many others have already observed this and many seem to dispute the claim of extra power. I feel it, however.

Cheers fellows..

#4 Monster, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  5. Neil Nicholls

what are you comparing it to though?
    brand new string to the old string you just had taken out?
    Or do you remember how the old string was when it was brand new, how long ago was that?

6. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

I"m starting to believe this claim for more power. I've been stringing my racquets at ~27x30lbs quite regularly. Though I don't usually skip the last or 2nd last cross. Though recently I've been adding 2 extra cross, 1 at top and 1 at bottom, in order to decrease string breakages. I've done my last 6 raquets like that at the same 27x30lbs. However, since then, for all of these 6 racquets, the tension feels considerably tighter than usual. At first I thought my machine got miscalibrated somehow, but after reading these claims of skipping cross for more power, I'm starting to believe that my extra crosses cause a decrease in power due to increase in "felt" tension above what I can normally handle.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There are too many factors can contribute to the "power increase", such as different string type, string tension, the condition of the string, etc. Personally, I think the "skip 2nd last cross" contribute very little to the power increase issue.

8. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Neil,

It will be controversial to claim that I remember how it felt months ago. But for a start, with the same tension (unless the 65 unit system does not equal to 22lbs for which I asked for), my backhand return from the rear court reaches further to the opponents court after the re-string. I know that with previous stringing at the same conditions, new or old, my backhand returns never reach what I reach now.

Now, my backhand returns propel further into the back of enemy land. I'm amazed. Not that I'm complaining. He! He!

As far as I can see things which have not changed;

1. String type - Yonex BG66
    2. Tension - 22lbs (although the 65 unit system is weird)
    3. Racket (Racquet?!)

One thing that is different is that I have mine restrung by another stringer. And this stringer asked if I want to leave a blank row whereas the previous stringer didn't. Consequently, I tried it out and hence my observation.

I don't think I have improved my backhand return although I wish I have. Just as some people in the forum, I am beginning to incline on the belief that it gives extra propulsion. I can feel and see it. What are your views on the blank row?

jsunsun & all,

I didn't notice the knots or crosses at the holes, however. Would you be able to post a pic of what you were trying to explain on the crosses ? I think I know what you meant, but it'd be good to know where your crosses were and are now. I will take a look at mine, meanwhile.

I didn't manage all the posts in the link Neil gave. Would anyone summarize any conclusive remarks ? (I know I should read all, but...please?)

#8 Monster, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It is difficult to compare now and before, especially when comparing strings strung on the same racquet. Strings play their best when new. After one week, strings will lose their resilience or elasticity (creep), which is discernable. Your new string will always play better than your old string of the same type and tension.

10. Neil Nicholls

So next time, use this new stringer again, have the same string and tension, but do not leave the blank row. That would be a better comparison.
    Different stringers on different machines can produce different results. Either from different calibration, different technique, different machine condition (e.g. if the clamps are slipping a little bit on one machine you would get lower tension)

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree 100%. The more variables being thrown into the formula, the more complicated it will be.

However, if he satisfied with the new job (regarless what's the "real reason"), stick with this stringer and his job. ;)

12. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    Unusual for me too, last night a new guy joined my group, and he play double partner with me, when he did a jump smash ( a little guy did a little jump smash), i was so petrifying, what the hell is that???:eek: :eek: :eek: perfect smash..:D :D (i play badminton for 20 years and yesterday i found a guy that get my top three best smasher i ever seen directly). But unfortunately, he did the smash rarely. When take a break, i see his racket, just an old pro kennex racket with thin frame, and i ask him how many lbs in tension??.
    He said he strung at 65 with bg-66 and he lose one row of string on 2nd last cross string (it's weird), what is 65???:confused: :confused:He said the frame can't take it if more than 65 tension. :confused:
    I feel the string, sooo hard...:D :D like pingpong bat, and i know his tension of 65 surely above my 27lbs. I was tested his old racket, i feel a very sharp feeling when smash, i did about 5 times smash and my smash power increased, even not as hard as him.
    I think after a point string tension, the power is decrease and at certain higher point it's increase again:) :)
    Ants, Dink, PeteLSD and all senior BCF, please give me comment about this 65...:) :)

#12 sifuyono, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  13. Neil Nicholls

14. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Neil & All,

After about 3 months, I've finally decided to sacrifice the luxury of the extra felt power by re-string my racket at the same shop, same tension, same stringer (still the same boss and same stringer), same racket and playing with the same group of friends, same type of shuttle, same venue... in short all being equal except this time with full stringing. It feels weaker and rather taut.

Yes, it is new re-stringing and is arguable that I may be comparing with a previous re-string which may have loosened up. But after 3 months of 4 re-strings with the empty row, I am certain that this time (the 5th restring), I feel less repulsion. I think the myth is true.

Btw, do you still have the above link "Unusual Unit for Tension" . It doesn't work now. I'm curious for the 65 unit system too.

#14 Monster, Jun 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  15. Neil Nicholls

It still works for me

16. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    losing a row of string is usually practised by some pro players.It maximize the power,i heard.But there's disadvantages as well,such as lower the frame n string durability.I'm not preety sure yet,is it the same thing u practised?Post some pics of ur newly strung racket.

Some stringers wont do that,since they would bear a bigger responsibility while stringing it.Of course if the stringer is more experienced,he'll do it.
    For myself,i'd rather do it in a normal way,but in a higher tension.I guess it'll be preety much the same.

#16 Smichz, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2007