Lin Dan's streak as #1 ranked in the world

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by flymordecai, Feb 26, 2007.

1. flymordecai

flymordecai Regular Member

This week, with Roger Federer beating the record of 160 weeks at the top of the men's tennis tour ranking, it occurred to me that badminton's own Lin Dan may well be just a few weeks behind Federer's record. If Wikipedia is right, Lin Dan reached the number one spot in February 26, 2004. Does anyone know if he lost the number one ranking at one point or has he been at the top since reaching that ranking? If so, next week he will have reached his 156th week as the #1 ranked male's singles badminton player. A very nice feat, perhaps the record for the longest stay at the top for a badminton player.

I think this is one reason that tennis is probably the biggest racket sport around the world (in terms of prestige, coverage, prize money, etc.). Tennis has records that people follow. Fans cheer on for their favorite to beat a record, like to win all the grand slams in one year or win tournaments in a row. This stat tracking really gives the fans something to do, like they're involved in it somehow. This occurs in badminton also, but not in the same level as tennis (and other sports). But perhaps it's why professional badminton is so unique.

2. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

He lost it for like a week or two or something like that to Lee Chong Wei last year :). If that really counts.

3. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    It should, LCW was #1 for about 3-4 weeks?

4. flymordecai

Well, that breaks the streak quite a bit. :p It's a shame for Lin Dan, so close to that record. But I suppose he's really been the true number one for the past three years.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

the badminton world ranking system is flawed i think. but yeah, i do agree that LD should have been the no.1 ranked player for the last 2-3 years for sure. federer's still the man though!

6. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah that's what I meant :). I mean LCW only really beat him in MO. I still hope LCW will perform better this year.

7. Stealthboy

Stealthboy Regular Member

I.T.
    Federer is a machine Lin Dan is no where near a good Badminton player as Federer is a Tennis player. Watch Federer win the French this year and complete the slam.

8. General Foo

General Foo Regular Member

student
    What are you talking about. THat's the umpteemth time uve slagged off Lin Dan in 1 day. I get the feeling u dont like him very much.

Badminton and Tennis are completely different sports. Require different physiques, styles and skills. THey are both at the top of their respective disciplines but would be absolutely awful if made to play a different sport. How can you even compare how good a badminton player is vs a tennis player. Dont get your Logic. They have both won more than enough titles to fill your living room, both have unique styles in their respective sports and are both number 1s. As far as i am concerned, they are both great sportsmen.

And Federer is no machine - Nadal is the epitome of Machines, as you put it. And as a matter of fact, i doubt he has the commitment and pedigree to win the French. I think that grand slam could possibly elude him for his whole career.

What you said is like saying Tiger woods is no where near a golf player as Michael Schumacher is a F1 Driver - There can be no comparison. DUH

9. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    Damn ;) If LCW didn't get the No.1 spot then Lin Dan would have a 3 year winning streak :D :p Oh well!!! :)

10. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    PGC held it for one week before LCW took it for month n LD got it back...

11. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

A typical weakness in the general human behavior is if I don't like the person, no matter how good that person is, I will not see it even if there is a halo above his head. But if I like him, he can do no wrong even when it's the obvious.

I quote G Foo's statements " I get the feeling u dont like him very much"
    & "They have both won more than enough titles to fill your living room, "

I couldn't helped but laugh at the 2nd statement which was well put. Federer is such a polished & amazing player. LD may not have a halo above his head but he deserves better.

12. flymordecai

It is hard to compare players from different sports. What he might be suggesting is that Lin Dan is not as DOMINATING against other professional badminton players as Federer is against the other players. Lin Dan does win most of his matches, although he sometimes loses to Taufik, LCW, and his countryman. Federer right now is dominating the entire tour and he is looking to continue his 37 match winning streak.

#12 flymordecai, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  13. My DY

My DY Regular Member

This thread IS an easy one to target LD... He prolly saw the thread title and said to himself "Yay another chance to knock that guy down"...

Its not necessary to boost who you like by bringing someone you dont down. Isnt there a TennisCentral.com website somewhere where you can post your adoration of Federer on?

14. General Foo

General Foo Regular Member

student
    precisely my point - sort of.

love it though