Badminton Injury

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Chickenwing168, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Chickenwing168

Chickenwing168 Regular Member

Hi, I am currently looking if there are any thread related to badminton injuries available in the forum.

Ive been playing badminton for a while now and I never really had that problem until last month....

For some reason, after around 2 hrs of badminton, my arm starts to hurt when I smash. At first, i thought it was just muscle pain, but the more it gets painful, the more it seems as if the pain comes from the bone itself

Anyone suffering from same problem:

the area of my injury is here (the X mark):

[​IMG]

any tips >_<...?...I feel crippled >_<!!

thx :)

2. Eric Lin

Eric Lin Regular Member

High School Student
    Is the X on the tricep or the joint place? If it's the tricep, I've had it before, I just took a few weeks to rest and it was cured.

But just incase, you should go see your doctor and see what's wrong with it if it doesn't clear in 2-3 weeks. What you should do now is don't play badminton excessively and don't do anything that will strain that arm.

3. sportsdoc

sportsdoc Regular Member

Sports Physician
    Your picture isnt very clear. Is it on the side of the thumb or little finger or triceps insertion? I have a post on elbow injury in my blog (http://sportsnmedicine.blogspot.com).

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

What you need to consider is which movement patterns you do when you play. For example, for forehand shots you'll pronate your forearm (rotate them inwards). This involves a powerful contraction to accelerate the pronation movement, and an equally powerful but shorter duration contraction of the opposite movement (supination) to stop the racquet after the shot has been made. It just happens that one of the bicep muscles is used to decelerate that way.

So, one guess is that that muscle group is simply too weak. To address this, first of all you want to teach your muscles to generate sufficient force - you can do an exercise where you a metal bar out with your forearm pronated and palm towards the ground. After you become proficient with that drill, repeat with a lighter weight and release the bar every 1-2 seconds and catch it.

5. Chickenwing168

Thx for all the replies, I couldnt reply fast cuz I had exams in school...didnt check.

Anyway, it is my bicep that hurts, the lower muscle of my bicep (Actually, I don't know if is the muscle or bone, cuz it feel so ..wierd and painful)

The pain only comes when I smash hard, so I assume is due to the fact i mgiht have a bad smashing form. I am not sure myself, but by watching some of the replay I played in the past, I dont see any "bad form"....

Could it be that my muscle cannot handle the fact I keep smashing, like...too much stress on the arm?

It that normal amonig badminton players?

6. Chickenwing168

sportsdoc: thx for the site!...ill definitely check it out =)....ill be sure to have alot of injuries in the future if I dont maintain myself now >_<!!

stumblingfeet: thx for the comment, but I did go gym for a while now, my muslce might not be very strong, but i did do do some arm exercices in the past in order to learn to generate more power and endurance....

I think you are right, my muscle might still be weak for long term smashings, any suggestion to raise my arm endurance?....IWill the exercice you recommend help on raising endurance?

thx:D