What type of shoes should you wear?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Tuan, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Tuan

Tuan Guest

I was just wondering what type of shoes were good to play badminton with... I've been using just regular pairs of adidas running shoes because they're light weight but I was wondering what shoes should I purchase because my shoes are getting pretty old... (Obviously there's Yonex badminton shoes but I'm just looking for shoes you can buy at any shoe store. ex footlocker, footaction, atheletes foot, etc...) Thanks

2. Aldous

Aldous Guest

you definitely won't go with those running shoes. There's a lot of badminton shoes available in market not necessary need yonex badminton shoes. Basically you want some flat bottom shoes. Tuan wrote:
    >
    > I was just wondering what type of shoes were good to
    > play badminton with... I've been using just regular pairs of
    > adidas running shoes because they're light weight but I was
    > wondering what shoes should I purchase because my shoes are
    > getting pretty old... (Obviously there's Yonex badminton
    > shoes but I'm just looking for shoes you can buy at any shoe
    > store. ex footlocker, footaction, atheletes foot, etc...)
    > Thanks

3. Josh

Josh Guest

Well, you should get shoes with soles low to the ground and the soles themselves should be gum rubber. The reason for low soles is so that you have more stability on the court when running around. I strongly suggest HEAD shoes because I have them and they are perfect for badminton. Look for the HEAD Sonic 110 or the HEAD Sonic 500. Also, depending on where you live, if there is a Sport Mart near where you live you can get these HEAD shoes for unbelievable prices. Remember, Sport Mart is a discount store so you can get everything there for good prices. I got my pair of Sonic 110's (which by the way are worth $120.00 at a regular shoe store) for only $39.99!!

4. Luan

Luan Guest

i prefer Yonex shoes over any others 'cause they are very comfy and give u a better feeling when moving around the court.

5. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    If you can find them, try Mizuno, their volleyball shoes actually make better badminton shoes than a lot of so-called 'badminton shoes' ..

As for Head, I'm not too sure if I've ever seen the Sonic range before. But I have only seen their range of Squash shoes. There has never been an impression that they make Badminton shoes though. I've looked at their squash range and found them to be totally unsuitable for badminton as they are way too stiff though they have very good support. Designed for squash but definitely not suited for badminton.

6. Josh

Josh Guest

What was the name of the range of squash shoes you saw??

7. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Volleyball shoes

Running shoes are a definite no-no. They are meant for fwd motion only and are not suitable for backward & lateral movements. A light cross training shoe with anatomical support would be a better choice than a true running shoe.

Most volleyball shoes are excellent for badminton. In fact, I've seen the very same shoe that is sold as a volleyball shoe in the U.S. is advertized as a badminton shoe in other countries. They are usually light weight & often have gum rubber soles. Gum rubber workd best & last longest if kept clean and kept out of the sun & other heat sources.

If you are not concerned about arch support & other anatomical concerns & do not have a wide foot, you might go with one of the very inexpensive Badminton shoes (usually from China). They have excellent traction and really give you a real feel of the court, not unlike very firm high performance tires. As with a firm high performance tire you will get good performance but not a luxury ride or long tire life.

8. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Hi Josh,

as I said, I'll have to drop by the store to find out again. I have no idea as I did not take a closer look once I found the sole to be extremely stiff.

I'll post back in a day or two when I drop by the store again.

9. JaKuN

JaKuN Guest

Any opinion for Ashaway Vegas or Yonex AR85 . Cost RM109 in Malaysia .

10. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Gladius, I'm wearing Head Contour Tech mid squash shoes and they work great. They are U.S. $80 shoes that have excellent grip and stability, are reasonably light, but are not "too stiff" as you opine about Head squash shoes. I've played a half dozen games of squash, lots of racquetball and lots of badminton, and I find that the sorts of quick, multidirectional movements in all three sports are virtually the same (as well as roughly the same floor surfaces for all three sports), requiring the same sort of shoe. Please articulate why you feel that squash and badminton, both fast indoor racquet sports, require different sorts of shoes.

Tuan, any sort of indoor court shoes (which have the yellow gum rubber type soles) should work well for you. The gum rubber gives better traction on a typical gymnasium floor, especially a wooden floor, and will give much better traction than a typical cross trainer. Unless Gladius comes up with some ingenius explanation that makes me disbelieve my own personal experiences, I would recommend squash shoes if you can't find badminton specific shoes or else volleyball shoes (I have had good success with ASICS volleyball shoes, also).

11. clive

clive Guest

This might seem puzzling to some people but i've always had a lot of success wearing basketball shoes - specifically mid-tops. If you read reviews of basketball shoes you'll find that there are some for people who tend to "cut" a lot. get those shoes - e.g. the nike shox bb4, or the air max etc. basketball is played on the EXACT same floor as badminton usually (standard gym floors) and the movements and speed are very comparable - fast turns, quick braking that puts a lot of stress on the ankle and knee, and lots of jumping.

I personally really loved my nike shox. the problem though is that i have wide feet so i can only wear new balance shoes since everything else ends up really hurting my feet. But if you dont have this problem and have trouble getting court shoes, i would really suggest you ask your basketball playing friends for their recommendation and get a pair of basketball shoes. Also, basketball is so popular in the usa that shoe technology improves a lot faster in that sport than in badminton. Lastly, get mid-tops if you're prone to ankle injury. Basketball players know all about ankle injuries and there are many good shoes out there that really stabilize the ankle.

clive

12. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Running shoes for badminton are definitely a no-no as they do not have the right support structure for side-to-side movements (running shoes more or less protect your heels and toes).

Volleyball shoes are ideal for badminton or barring that, cross trainers are pretty good but not ideal.

Given the choice, I would go with badminton shoes, volleyball, squash, cross trainers in that order.

13. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    SOME basketball shoes may be OK. in the past, B'ball shoe were often fairly heavy. if you find a light B'ball shoe with a decent sole (good traction) then you may be OK for Badm.

14. wiseman

wiseman New Member

Basketballshoes+Badminton=Emergency room visit for Knee Injury

:crying:
    I was wearing Allan Iverson Black Basket ball shoes and playing at an excellent indoor facility, I weigh 172lbs and I am 6-foot tall, in one forward motion after trying to get to the shutlle on my left, I felt my leg give away. I was in severe pain for 2 days. I will let you know what exactly happenned after I see the ortho.
    Meanwhile check this out
    URL: http://www.inq7.net/lif/2003/sep/23/text/lif_21-1-p.htm

15. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    Yonex SHB-735
    and
    Yonex SHB-89MF

nothing bad to say about either shoe.

16. takahira

takahira Regular Member

Something to do with software
    current I am just using a pair of Nike Air Diggs 4 that I had gotten oh 7 yrs ago? they are volleyball shoes to begin with, very sturdy, light, right fit and they are still quite clean.... since I don't wear them beyond a badminton court.... so yea.... I got them on sale way back then.... like $60 CAD? so yea, you could go with Yonex badminton shoes.... those are always nice to have, but I am satisfy with my Nikes.... just my 2 cents....

17. master_shuyu

master_shuyu New Member

indoor shoes are best!

You really should be looking for indoor shoes. They are easily distinguishable by a light brownish rubber on the underside of the shoe. I found that getting indoor sports shoes really improved my footwork, and I think it is very important that you find a shoe that not only fits well but responds well to jumping and lungeing.. Especially if you jump smash.

That's my three cents.
    Rob