Some Advice...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ayame, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    :D WELL, THERES GOING TO BE THESE BADMINTON TRYOUTS HELD AT MY SCHOOL, AND I WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO GET ON THE TEAM AND IMPRESS THE COACH.:cool:

2. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Easy, just play your normal game and do your best. Dont try to impress the coach with fancy moves and tricks.

3. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah no fancy stuff lol. I remember I guy in one of my teams who would always go for a fancy "deceptive" net shot, and miss it every time :rolleyes:. So annoying, didn't impress anyone lol. If you can consistently do fancyish stuff and it's a regular part of your game (as in it's not just all about looks) then by all means do it. Otherwise don't try too hard.

I recommend being confident in yourself though (if possible, I know I find it hard). Be confident, and show it!

4. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Just pretend it's a normal day of badminton.:D Our badminton season was over already. Long time ago.:(

5. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Ok, Thanks For Your Advice Guys ^_^

6. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

well, just for the heck of it, do some fancy moves and tricks if you can actually do them... it'll make you look like you have l33t skills ;)

7. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Yea, like the other guys said, first thing is to get out of the mindset that you have to impress anybody. Just play the way you are confortable with, it doesn't matter if you can do jump smashes like LD if you lose the game, especially from forcing shots. Also, most important thing, have fun.

8. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

play good, show determination, dedication, all the stuff a coach looks for.

9. Adone

Adone Regular Member

Student
    First thing you have to do, not type in caps lock. Its rude. Second, just play. If you don't make the team, you just have to admit that they are more better players than you, tough luck.

10. a_n_d_y

a_n_d_y Regular Member

high school
    Also, you can purposely do shadowing to make yourself even more tired against an easy opponent to make yourself sweat real hard. Even better if you impress the coach and then puke cuz you tried so hard.

11. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

My keyboard is messed up and it got stuck on capslock. Normally I wouldn't bother with capslock.:D

12. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

The thing about getting a spot on a team (or getting a job, and many other things in life) is not so much about having the correct skills, but rather by making an impression on the coach. Of course, your skills can't be too far below the others, but what you need to do is get the coach's attention. This is particularly true when many people of approximately similar skill level are trying out for a team.

A real life example is the team at my school - each fall we get tons of guys trying out, but not many spaces are available on the team. Often there might only be 1-3 spots available for 50+ guys. If we suppose that maybe one guy demonstrates exceptional skill that warrants making the team on skill alone, then for the other guys it is necessary get yourself into the coach's mind. For example, talk to the coaches and be friendly - a coach will appreciate having a player with a pleasant personality to work with.

13. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Thanks for your advice and tips guys ^_^. I just hope I don't mess up because there's like 100 something girls trying out and only six are gonna make it.*_*

14. oliviergmar

oliviergmar Regular Member

Things coaches are looking for are :

-Technique
    A coach will be more likely to choose a player with a better technique even if this player is losing his matches. Technique = Potential. If you don't have the right technique, you wont make good gains. I'm in college and have been playing since i'm 6 years old. Boys and girls in the badminton team played in my club from 10 to 20. There is only one competitive club in my region. If we're short on players in college, we usually take a few beginners and they end up doing pretty well because their play level goes up fast.

So yeah, make sure you have a good technique.

-Attitude
    See post #2
    Make sure you looks like you're having fun and always give 100% of yourself. Remember that you gain more losing than winning. When you have a good rally with an opponent and you end up smashing the bird out, just lauph, make fun of it and go on. Concentrate on the current rally.

-Play like you have nothing to lose
    You will play better against people you think you will lose to and you will suck against people you should win. Try to concentrate and always play like you have nothing to lose.

Finally, try to sleep well and eat clean(No junk :p) 3 to 4 days before the day. I usually try to sleep 12 hours before a competition day. It improves my performance.

Good luck :)
    By the way, where do you live in Canada ?

15. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Tell us if you made the team!!!!

16. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

I'm not in Canada right now, but I'm normally living in Ontario. I'm currently in Ecuador because my dad was working on some documentaries on the Galapagos. I wanna go back home soon for the tryouts. :D

#16 Ayame, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  17. oliviergmar

oliviergmar Regular Member

Haha nice. Ontario is close from Gatineau(near ottawa) so my heart will be with you. UNLESS WE GO FOR THE INDEPENDENCE. then you're cursed ;)

18. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

I dun think I did. In the beginning of the tryouts we were told to pick a partner. I was gonna pick one of my friends but I felt sorry for another girl whom nobody was going to team up with, so I teamed up with her instead, just to be kind.

Afterwards, we were told to perform things like overhand/underhand shots, smash, etc. It seemed quite easy but when it came time to begin, I discovered that my partner, let's call her bobby, could barely even hit the shuttle, which made me look bad because when she did hit it it was totally out of aim and I went running after it like a chicken. I think I only hit the shuttle a max. of 5 times during that part of the tryouts.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I soon figured out that we were going to some matches for a bit and that 'Bobby' was going to be partner for it. It all went downhill (even more) after that. 'Bobby' would just stand there during the matches and she would do absolutely nothing and it made me look like an idiot because, again, I was running around like a chicken.

A series of unfortunate events followed up and I'm not even going to bother wasting time to to type them. Though the list has yet to be posted, i know I'm not gonna make it. :(

LIFE LESSON: Do not be kind and pick unknown partners for whom you feel sorry for durong tryouts, because they are most likely to suck and make you do all the work during a game.:mad:

19. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    It's better to choose a person with the same level as you for exmaple int.person+int. person