hello, and yet, goodbye

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by westwood_13, Mar 3, 2007.

1. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I never actually introduced myself, so I may as well do so now. I also have a story to tell, and though you may or may not be interested, I'm going to ramble on regardless as there is no one better than those here to understand what happens when you submit your soul to a sport like badminton.

I started playing badminton when I was 7, completely by accident. Thus, I've played for 11 years, seven of those at the national level. I was provincial champion for most of those years, round of 16s at nationals in singles for almost all, and quarterfinalist in doubles at nationals for almost all. My decent results have been 99% luck, because not many people play where I live. But as of right now, my 'career' as a competitive badminton athlete is over. I think the time has come to bid farewell to high performance, sleepless nights in hotel rooms across Canada, leaving every ounce of energy on the court in that intense match.

Why? It really all started about three or four years ago. I peaked at age 11, and it's been downhill from there, but when I gained a rival I couldn't beat it all went pete tong. She had only been playing for a year, trained perhaps 10-15 hours a week, while I did 20 at least plus played high level basketball simultaneously. She beat me in the provincial ranking tournament and, though it's been very close, I've never beat her since. Out of frustration and injury I quit for a year, the 05/06 season, and I trained for basketball hoping I could make a university team. I came up just short, and returned to badminton, for reasons I can't explain. Also for reasons I can't explain, I became addicted to the sport, found this forum, watched videos constantly, lived and breathed badminton. A resurgence in my blood, I suppose.

But I still couldn't beat her. I made the Canada Winter Games team as the no.2 girl, and have trained between 22 and 30 hours a week for the past year. That, plus basketball and university, has taken its toll. All year I've fought through crippling injuries and have not been able to lunge for six months. My footwork is completely shot. I tore my bicep three times, lack of sleep leads me confined to bed with fever for about a week every two months. Stupid, I know. Even dumber, I responded by ramping up the training... all I wanted was to beat her, to be champion for my last year as a junior. She cut her training schedule in half, doing perhaps five hours a week, and still beat me in the ranking tournaments. Just before the Canada Winter Games, she dropped off the team, and we have no idea why. It made me no.1 girl, but it was a hollow position.

The Games, which I just returned from, was among the best times of my life. It was an incredible experience and junior Canadian players, I encourage you to do everything you can to have the opportunity to go. Incomparibly amazing. But as far as the badminton went there, I made round of 16s in singles and doubles. But I am nothing compared to the good players nor could any amount of training ever be. I choked in several clutch matches against our rivals, Saskatchewan, and we nearly lost our tie (and our streak of coming 5th since 1971) with them. We were incredibly close to coming 4th, narrowly losing to Alberta, and it was my incompetence in singles and doubles that made the difference (although we did lose boys singles by two points in the third game, they won the tie 3-2). And in my final game of the tournament and perhaps my competitive career, I tore my bicep again so badly that I doubt I'll ever be able to clear again even if I wanted to.

A long story, I know. But this place has been instrumental to my improvement lately. I love this forum, it's given me great opportunities and actually meeting and playing with forum people was an incredibly fun time. I'm definitely going to stick around, even if I'm leaving the sport behind. Badminton has been instrumental in making me who I am, and I've travelled so much, it's been amazing. But I'm completely broken and disheartened now, and it's time to move on to something new, something perhaps I can excel at, or at least try.

So, though I'll probably stick around here and dish out my hypocritical advice, it's a goodbye to badminton. I hope I can keep all the great friends I've gained.

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    badminton needs player like you.
    the keeners, the people short on talent but tremendous in spirit and drive. It sounds like you set an example to you team and probably your entire badminton program since you live in a smaller town (city fine.. winnipeg is small though).
    i know what your talking about in not being able to beat someone like that though. In swimming, there are those who train their hardest everyday, and those who are slackers. Unfortunately, the slackers are usually big on talent and end up winning in meets. Don't get discouraged. Their the ones who end up winning in the end, when the talented people burn out. Maybe when your bicep heals, you could play in local level tourneys stil, just to keep up with the game :)
    at least you're staying in the forum, your hypocrytical advice is still welcomed

3. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    :crying: Mann..your a really talented player...I'm just wondering why you are stopping your career. Is it that you tore your bicep muscle or?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks for the story. and sorry to hear that you have been stuck behind another player.

you sound like a competitive person. and you certainly have the talent and dedication to back it up. for most of us, badminton is just a recreation and semi-competitive sport. if i were to quit because i always lose to somebody, i would've quit badminton 10 years ago. ;)

but i do hope you continue playing badminton, competitively or recreationally, it is too great a sport to leave behind, and i am still going strong at 32, i think i am on my 20th year playing badminton now.

5. AMRaider

AMRaider Regular Member

You have two arms, right? Yea, I know what you are thinking, but why not? It sounds like you made a lot of friends and had some good times playing badminton. Why give that up? At one point or another, I have injured my right shoulder, right elbow, and right wrist playing badminton... and that's just my arm... but I'll never stop playing simply for the reasons above. I'll re-learn with my left if it comes to that.

We all "pass our prime" at some point, but if badminton is something you enjoy, injury is no reason to halt completely imho. Even if you don't make a career out of it, you could keep playing but more casual/recreational. And who knows? You are still very young and the body has a remarkable ability to heal (if you let it, of course). Perhaps someday you can find your "nemesis" and show them a thing or two. ;) Just my two cents.

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Hi, and wow...
    Sorry to hear of your injuries...
    I know where you're coming from...

"Never give up"

Are the only words of encouragement I can really offer...

Of course it will take some time to understand what that means :p
    But when you do, "everything will be as right as rain... "

Yes, I like to quote movies & famous people... :eek:

7. wizzy

wizzy Regular Member

There are more than 1000 reasons why she can beat you...
    But please.. it doesn't mean that you can not beat her or pass her in the future..
    No body's know..
    Have a rest from your injuries until you are fully recovered...
    No body know what is your future may be...
    Could be by this.. it motivates you in the near future to become number one and be famous... God knows...
    Don't give up.. there are more than 1000 reasons as well for you to beat her in the future...
    wizzy

8. juris

juris Regular Member

night stalker
    The topic title should be "hello, and yet, till we play again". Good badminton players never die, they just heal and play again...

9. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    excuses, just play on =.=

10. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    if i was you i would never completely leave the sport, become a coach!

11. westwood_13

Student
    I really, really like that last idea, coaching. I'm planning this year to coach at the high school I graduated from last year, but I'd kind of forgotten about it.. thanks for reinding me!Not to mention coaching allows so many great opportunities as well.

As far as playing goes, I'm a pretty petty person... I can't be content unless I'm training/competing as hard as I can and doing well. I never play as well as I feel I can in tournaments, ever, and the mental strain of that is more what is driving me to quit than anything else, even injury.

Although I must run to basketball playoffs... thank you all so much for your insightful responses.

12. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    With the amount of exposure and training hours behind you, I think coaching is a great avenue to keep in touch with the sport and will add another aspect at looking at badminton.

Badminton's addictive, but don't forget to have fun. It's badminton you enjoy; everything else is icing.

-dave

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sounds like...

...westwood_13, interesting and a nice sharing there:cool: ...Well, from what i've read and understand somewhat, i think your injury is partly one of the reason. But my personal opinion on why you are "leaving" the sport is most likely because you are somewhat "burnt out"(correct me if i'm wrong:p)...Yes, that's quite common and understandable esp. knowing that you've started playing this sport quite early and have "dedicated" most of your young, adolescent life training and sacrificing for the sport.
    On that note, you are still very young and i wish if i was in your shoe(playing at a young age).;) Hope your injury, whatever that may be, will heal and you can get back to playing again(whenever that may be). For the time being, enjoy whatever your new endeavours may be and hope you can still hang around in BCF..;) :cool:

#13 ctjcad, Mar 5, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  14. CrimsonCards

CrimsonCards Regular Member

School
    WOW, that such an intese story!!! your like my Hero/Idol, that soo depressing but i don't think your quite done yet lol, who knows what aorund the next corner of life lol but i think you'll be get5itng another shot very soon :)

15. westwood_13

Student
    Depends. We'll see if I can get it out of my blood or not.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    nice story. It shows you are determined. Depends how much you want to do with badminton. With those injuries, obviously there's time to needed to recover and train up. Wether you are training the correct way for yourself is another matter.

It sounds like from your training, you were training to beat the opponents physically and by the quality of your shots. When you come back to playing, how about training to beat them tactically?

After that, you go away with the knowledge you tried your very best and had a great time with badminton.:)

17. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Alana,
    Thanks for sharing and it's a wonderful story but I would say don't give up. Maybe it is a question of setting achieveable goals. Look at Zhang Ning, she didn't started winning all her tournaments until later in her career. You are ranked in the top 5 in Manitoba and instead of setting your sights on beating your rival from the outset, start with getting the best in terms of points. Each gain is a victory and the war is not won on a single battle.

From the sound of it, you love badminton and if you are like any hard core badminton fanatics, it's in your blood...

Sorry if I'm being presumptous in giving advice. Good luck with whatever your choice going be and don't be a stranger. :)

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The story kinda bring me to tears...

Many ppl here have given good advices, and I only want to say, there's only 1 champion in the game, but everyone is a winner. To me, you definitely are a winner to me. Please take a break, let all the frustration out of your mind, and we love and need ppl like you to contine to stay in the "big family". ;)

19. eggroll

eggroll Regular Member

sales
    Well westwood I read your story and I must say I was struck by your focus first, dedication second and disappointment third in that you are quitting. I feel for your rash of injuries. Training so hard that you get hurt regularly really sucks but you may be overtraining. In my past I've been a pretty good athlete and even at my somewhat advanced age can still compete with the kids as I call them, but at golf not badminton. If I can comment on one thing that jumps out at me as a coach it would be simply that you seem to be focused too much on the outcome rather than process. The old saying "mind like water" comes to thought and in this state we usually have our best results. If you are close to beating you're rivals and can't it could be more mental than physical. Get out of your own way and give yourself a chance. If you are truly done competing at the high level I would still suggest to you a book I read that has helped me at my golf and I know of a couple national badminton champions that have read and endorse as well, Thinking Body Dancing Mind. It's a book about Taosports and is a great sport and life book.

On a side note I think there are too many young people like you that leave badminton after they stop competing so stay involved by either playing with lower or no goals or giving those that are driven like you have been the benefit of just playing with you. I know I don't get to play at the pace that is required for better play often enough at my club then when I get to a tournament I have trouble adjusting.

Finally, there is an ad these days in Canada about hockey that shows different clips of kids as they get older playing hockey finishing with Sydney Crosby firing pucks into an open net with a big smile on his face and the ending words are " In the end its' all about loving the game" These are words you need to think about.