Predictable Results

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by 2cents, Mar 4, 2007.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    The finals at Germany Open for Men's singles, Women's singles, Women's doubles are all between the number 1 seed against the number 2 seed. I am quite sure that those number 1s are gonna win the title also. The results become so predictable.

Even for the other two events, men's doubles and mixed doubles, are also predictable. Zheng/Gao are not seeded as number 1, but they are no doubt the best in mixed doubles.

The young rising stars are still too young to rise, the old veterans are just becoming older. The landscape for the badminton will remain the same for a quite long time. The only unclear event is the men's doubles, where no one has a clear lead over others.

For the upcoming all England open, It will be a business as usual tournament. It is kind of boring that there has not been any new face for a long time. The only thing new are Gao Ling pairing with Zheng Bo and Koo Kien Keat found Tan Boon Heong. They are not new either.

I like to see new guys coming out unexpected, like teenagers Taufik and Lin Dan. It gave excitements to me. But now where are the teenagers? Wang YH is the only one gave me some hope. She has beat Xie XF and Zhang Ning several times, but also lost to all kinds of unknowns many times.

2. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

All England Odds:

MS:
    Lin Dan: 1.5
    Gade: 4
    Chen Jin: 8
    Taufik: 8
    Bao: 12
    Lee CW: 16
    All the others: 8

WS:
    Xie XF: 4
    Zhang Ning: 4
    Xu HW: 8
    Wang Chen: 8
    Zhu Lin: 8
    Lu Lan: 10
    Pi Hongyan: 10
    Rest: 6

MD:
    Koo KK/Tan BH: 3
    Wijiya C/Gunawan T: 3
    Fu H/Cai Y: 4
    Jung JS/Lee YD: 4
    Kido M/Setiawan: 4
    Eriksen/Lundgaard: 6
    Lee JJ/Huang JM: 6
    Rest: 5

WD:
    Gao Ling/Huang Sui: 1.2
    Yang W/Zhang J: 1.5
    Rest: 4

XD:
    Zheng B/Gao L: 1
    Rest: 2

3. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Agreed, badminton really need new faces, the MD department has done pretty well with lots of new faces from Malaysia and Korea plus combo of veterans(Chandra/Tony). Kind of tire to watch MS as so many veterans still hanging around ... Women's events basically is pre-determined as China for sure will sweep. Lets just hope audience doesn't get rip off again in All England for those walked over, such a sin!

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Are those your odds or the bookmaker's?

I think the men's doubles is the most difficult to predict with so many pairs that can conceivably win.

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Those are odds I made up myself. Could you point out any of them not making sense? :D

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If Taufik plays, should be lower odds.

7. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Right, he has more potentials, but he's got a tough draw, besides his moral becomes a problem after so many incidents. I really hope he can play.

8. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Taufik is Taufik, Taufik is unpredictable. If everybody thinks he's not gonna play, then he will play. Otherwise, he's not Taufik.

9. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

IBF web site has draws and results for some tournaments, they are all in purely html format, but with .xls extension. That's the reason a lot of people having problem to view them.

IBF should use either html format with .html extension or excel format with .xls extention. Why IBF's doing that, using html format in .xls extention? to make our life difficult on purpose?

#9 2cents, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  10. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I hope you're right, because I think most people here believe he is not going to play! I'm highly doubtful as well, but who knows what will happen.

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Making MS and WS in team CHN would be more difficult than winning Opens or major championships one day. One slip-up or sidelined due to health issue among the top 3 MS or WS in team CHN, may even make that player lose her spot in the team, with wave of up-and-coming players waiting in the wing to take over, that is the nature of competitiveness in CHN, and I am sure MAS, INA, KOR, DEN and other countries' head coach would love that talent pool. Just consider that XXZ and CH can be expendable when they are still among the very best players in the badminton world who would give any top players in the world a run for their money, that is intimidating.

13. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Wow, everything is predictable at least to me :D except the women's double :eek:

14. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    I think in MD, most double players will be delighted if they dont get in the same half with KKK/TBH in the draw of tournaments (like LD in singles, unless they are looking for some revenge) coz they really pose a great threat even to the top pairs of the world. Alot of good MD pairs might have gone a bit further in AE if they werent to play against KKK/TBH in early rounds.

15. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    That's why KKK/TBH is so highly regarded, tournament draw doesn't mean much to them, just divide and conquer.