Dedicated badminton halls

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by paul, Nov 20, 2000.

1. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    Are there any dedicated badminton halls in the US ? Or are badminton courts only found in sport centers and other multi purpose halls. There are quite a few dedicated badminton halls in the UK. It would be nice to compile all known badminton halls around the world.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is one down in LA, Orange County Badminton Club (OCBC), the US Open is held there every year. i haven't been there myself, but i have seen ads for it in the USBA magazine, looks really impressive.

jerome just mentioned his friend built one in Daly City, sounds like it is a dedicated gym. jerome??

3. jerome

jerome Guest

The gym that I play on is specifically built for private use only. The players are strickly invited by the owner of the gym. So far so good he has invited on the best players in the US so far. So we learn in the same time and improve too. We play on his warehouse gym 3 times a week. We custom built the wooden floors and Yonex rubber courts on top of that so you do not feel to much pressure in your knees and ease your mobility on the court.

4. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    The Multnomah Athletic Club in Portland, Oregon has a badminton hall with four courts, dark green walls and floor, and proper lights. The sign on the door is "Badminton Gymnasium". However, there are lines and goals for a basketball court. The primary purpose of the hall is badminton. The Nike World Masters' Games were held there. I would consider this a dedicated hall, but based on the basketball goals, others might differ.

marshall

5. Tommy

Tommy Guest

In Vancouver Canada, I know there are 2 privates clubs that are just for badminton. One of them is called Vancouver Racquets Club, it has 6 courts and 1 practice court. The walls are green, the ceiling is high with great lighting... the gym is just for playing badminton!!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I've been there. It's a great place to play.....if u can get in.
    Do u still have to wear tags on your shoes?

7. babu

babu Guest

Hi all,
    i live in Detroit & i had collected information where badminton is played, i don't know
    whether they are dedicated or not. I play at my office gym.

the list of places where badminton can be played in Detroit:

1. Ann Arbor badminton club: Contact Sue Vartarian (734) 697-3186
    2. Birmingham badminton club: Contact Cleon McLaughlin (810)853-5704
    3. Dearborn badminton club: Contact Lee Holmes (313) 331-5959
    4. Grosse Pte Badminton club: Contact George Gerow (313) 885-8232

You
    need to call the contact person(s) to find out when and where they
    play. There may be a membership fee involved.

Have fun!!!!!!!!

8. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    That's right, I remember now. My wife played in a tournament there, but I couldn't go. She said the floors were made of black walnut lumber. Is that true? (I don't doubt my wife's honesty, only her wood identification skills :) )

9. Tommy

Tommy Guest

Oh yes, u still need to wear shoe tags..or else it's $10 all day to be a guest and u need a adult member to bring u in! I'm not sure if the floors are made of black walnut, but I can ask~...but I do know that the floors vibrates...as in it absorbs the pressure when u jump to lessen the pressure off ur legs....

Well...it's not hard to get in....u just need to pay up! From what I remember...it's about $400 for an adult per year..and $200 for juniors, and it's open 24/7~

I think they made a webpage of the place...it's www.vrc.bc.ca
    but it still needs alot of improvements to it!

10. Tommy

Tommy Guest

Oh and 1 more thing...the other private club I mentioned about in Vancouver..it's called VLT..I think it's the full name is Vancouver Lawn Tennis Club...they have 6 badminton courts there...for that I know they are sprung Maple courts...!

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Paul, where do you play in London? i played in the Swiss Cottage gym a couple of time when i was living in the UK. is that gym still there?

12. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    I'm sorry I don't know about the Swiss Cottage club. I play mostly at Wimbledon and a club in Hendon. How long did you stay in London ?

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh i see. somehow that gym seems to be quite popular, i have talked to a couple of friends who played there in various times.

i lived in the UK for 3 years. i go to london during school breaks.

14. Nelson

Nelson Guest

Just visit www.usabadminton.org.....