Hop Or Cross-Step To The Back?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by magiadam, Mar 5, 2007.

1. magiadam

magiadam Regular Member

Whenever my opponent would clear to my forehand corner, I usually cross-step sometimes, but I also hop to the corner sometimes.

When they'd clear it to the center back, I'd usually just hop back.

And whenever they'd clear it to my backhand, I'd hit the bird behind my head with a forehand.

Anything wrong here? And what'd would you do to the forehand corner, Cross or Hop? I see Pros alternate and some only cross.

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I was taught by a pro to never cross step, but taught as a youth to only cross-step. I notice that most of the pros hop-step everywhere except when caught out of position... then they run.

And hitting around the head with your forehand is good, but make sure your footwork is getting you behind the bird.

3. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

sometimes i find it convenient to cross-step and sometimes its convenient for me to hop-step so, i'd say it depends on the situation and what is convenient for you to at the moment...

4. wantedman

wantedman Regular Member

what exactly is the "hop-step"? ive never been formally taught what it is. :eek:

5. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Yea, can we get a clarification on what a hop step is?

6. magiadam

magiadam Regular Member

Just backing up normally behind the bird.

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Try to move your opponent away from base before dropping. If he is at base then he has more time and less distance to cover than you. He can play a tight net shot probably put spin on it to make it tumble or hold off on the contact to wrong foot you. IE, he's got control of the rally. He's pulling the strings!!
    His base can move forward now to more attacking. As you'll be taking the shuttle late its unlikely that you'll be able to attack lob.

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

if you with 'hop step" mean a chasse-step...there's a difference:

chasse steps enable players to jump (a bit, or a lot) in the end. while a cross-over (either left over right, or rightover left) makes jumping impossible..

I prefer/have been taught a chassestep (last year at least) because it enables you to jump or even intercept the shuttle.

in a way, it's the difference between "offensive footwork" and "defensive footwork"

9. J.u.s.t.i.c.e

J.u.s.t.i.c.e Regular Member

everytime i do the hop to the backhand corner to do an overhead smash.. i always feel like falling.

10. jerby

jerby Regular Member

that's not good...try and practise it 'dry'

no shuttle, just do the steps slowly and correct, then speed it up slowly..it might be because you're literally falling backwards (like a penguin looking at an airplace ;))try to keep your body balanced and do a scissors jump at the end