All England 2007: Day 3 (3/08) 2nd Rnd (R16)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by madbad, Mar 7, 2007.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

After an interesting first day where, while there weren't many upsets, there were many 3 setters. My calls (as always, winner in bold):

MS
    Dan LIN over Simon SANTOSO. After the Roslin scare, LD will be extra vigilant. A routine win on the cards
    Muhd Hafiz B HASHIM over Sony DWI KUNCORO. Hafiz has been written off many times and rightly so. However, I think he'll have enough to overcome Sony to set up that encounter with LD
    Yu CHEN over Boonsak PONSANA. The only way that Chen Yu can lose is if he gets "injured". Not going to happen, is it?:rolleyes:
    Chunlai BAO over Richard VAUGHAN. Like LD, Bao gets a scare and will put his nose to the grindstone. Expect a win and only a win
    Kenneth JONASSEN over Sung Hwan PARK. If this match was in Asia, I'd give Park the edge but since it's in Europe...
    Jin CHEN over Wei NG. CJ will continue to do what he does best–winning quietly
    Chong Wei LEE over Kasper OEDUM. LCW continues to fly under the radar, which suits him fine. Should have no problems
    Dicky PALYAMA over Shoji SATO. I hope Dicky doen't spoil his great win over PG with a clanger. Sato can be tricky

WS
    Yanjiao JIANG over Pei Xian Julia WONG. That little bit of edge in experience should make the difference
    Petya NEDELTCHEVA over Huaiwen XU. Calling for an upset here. Petya's been knocking on the door and improving steadily. Will she be able to claim this huge scalp?
    Hongyan PI over Juliane SCHENK. Juliane's a tough nut to crack and a close match is probably what we'll get. Pi's got a slight a edge but don't be surprised at an upset
    Mew Choo WONG over Lin WANG. WMC will grind out another victory as only she can. WL's not in great form right now and can be had
    Ning ZHANG over Hye Youn HWANG. Not totally convinced with ZN. She'll win this one but not sure how far she'll go
    Lin ZHU over Ella KARACHKOVA. Our ever so in-form ZL will take it comfortably. The Russian's not a bad player in her own right
    Xingfang XIE over Salakjit PONSANA. Nice for Salakjit to have her day in the sun with the upset win over Eriko but XXF is here to do the biz
    Chen WANG over Saina NEHWAL. An upset could well happen. Neither player were convincing in the 1st round

MD
    Candra WIJAYA/Tony GUNAWAN over Zhendong GUO/Hanbin HE. Expect the Masters to take care of business
    Kien Keat KOO/Boon Heong TAN over Luluk HADIYANTO/Alvent Yulianto CHANDRA. The new blood will be too quick for the fading INA veterans
    Jae Jin LEE/Ji Man HWANG over Michal LOGOSZ/Robert MATEUSIAK. The Poles could cause some uncomfortable moments for the KOR pair but seeding should prevail
    Bin Shen TAN/Soon Hock ONG over Haifeng FU/Yun CAI. This is an upset waiting to happen. But given CAI/FU's travails against MAS pairs, could it really be considered an upset? The fake #1 get knocked out
    Markis KIDO/Hendra SETIAWAN over Sang Hoon HAN/Yeon Seong YOO. The only thing that could be a hinderance for the INA pair is looking past this match to their potential clash with KKK/TBH
    Teik Chai GAN/Mohd Zakry ABDUL LATIF over Jens ERIKSEN/Martin LUNDGAARD HANSEN. Is age beginning to tell on the DEN veterans? Can they survive another knife-edge enconter? They're not performing like they used to. Big upset here
    Tan Fook CHOONG/Wan Wah LEE over Rasmus MANGOR ANDERSEN/Peter BUUR STEFFENSEN. The MAS veterans have something to prove and will continue to progress
    Jae Sung JUNG/Yong Dae LEE over Mohd Fairuzizuan MOHD TAZARI/Woon Fui LIN. The Koreans are in great form and should win an exciting battle

WD
    Gail EMMS/Donna KELLOGG over Greysia POLII/Vita MARISSA. The English duo will be hard to beat at home. Expect a close encounter
    Yu-Chin CHIEN/Wen-Hsing CHENG over Chiou Hwee HAW/Yin Loo LIM. Bread and butter match for the Taiwanese twosome. The MAS girls won't put up much resistance
    Ling GAO/Sui HUANG over Miyuki MAEDA/Satoko SUETSUNA. Thanks for coming, collect your parting gifts at the door
    Pek Siah LIM/Joanne Swee Ling QUAY over Kamila AUGUSTYN/Nadiezda KOSTIUCZYK. Bouyed by their upset win, I think the MAS girls will take another close one. The Poles are playing well
    Jing DU/Yang (F) YU over Yu Mi HWANG/Youn Kyung JUNG. Well, it'll be predictable...
    Pei Tty WONG/Eei Hui CHIN over Anastasia RUSSKIKH/Ekaterina ANANINA. Another morale-boosting win after being knocked out early in the past 2 tournaments will see the MAS pair move on to the next round
    Wei YANG/Jiewen ZHANG over Nicole GRETHER/Juliane SCHENK. The Germans will be game but ultimately no match for the CHN machine
    Yawen ZHANG/Yili WEI over Imogen BANKIER/Emma MASON. Are mismatches like this still allowed in SS tournaments. I smell a demolition

XD
    Yu Mi HWANG/Yong Dae LEE over Vita MARISSA/Flandy LIMPELE. Will the marathon match have taken too much out of the INA pair?
    Nova WIDIANTO/Lilyana NATSIR over Liza PARKER/Robin MIDDLETON. A match on English soil against English opponents is never easy. Throw in the INA duo's current spotty form and anything could happen. Maybe not today though.
    Yawen ZHANG/Zhongbo XIE over Jun ZHANG/Tingting ZHAO. Of course the #2 seeded pair will "win". We all know their opponents won't be allowed to:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Donna KELLOGG/Anthony CLARK over Katrin PIOTROWSKI/Ingo KINDERVATER. Home field advantage rules! Plus the ENG pair are better
    Ling GAO/Bo ZHENG over Natalie MUNT/Kristian ROEBUCK. After today's 1st game fiasco with the Poles, you just know the CHN duo are going to kick it
    Kamilla RYTTER JUHL/Thomas LAYBOURN over Youn Kyung JUNG/Ji Man HWANG. The Danes will prove too strong
    Yang (F) YU/Hanbin HE over Hyo Jung LEE/Jae Jin LEE. Could be a long, close encounter with the Chinese pulling through
    Gail EMMS/Nathan ROBERTSON over Joanne Swee Ling QUAY/Daniel A SHIRLEY. My dark horse in XD will trample all over the MAS/Kiwi pair

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Oops, the date should read 03/08 :p

3. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    MS
    Shoji SATO
    over Dicky PALYAMA

WS
    Lin WANG
    over Mew Choo WONG

MD
    Jens ERIKSEN/Martin LUNDGAARD HANSEN over Teik Chai GAN/Mohd Zakry ABDUL LATIF

Haifeng FU/Yun CAI over Bin Shen TAN/Soon Hock ONG

4. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    wow madbad u're a month faster den us????? haha :0

5. tjl_vanguard

Student
    dun be so sure about that two.... :D:p

6. tjl_vanguard

Student
    so far i think the biggest upset is where PGC lost to Dicky... Dicky over PGC?? hahaha sounds kinda horny hahahaha

7. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    i guess we'll see :D

8. LI De Quan

LI De Quan Regular Member

student
    madbad,

I agree with you besides these----------------------

Muhd Hafiz B HASHIM VS Sony DWI KUNCORO ----Sony can beat Hafiz;

XU Huaiwen VS Petya NEDELTCHEVA----XU Huaiwen can beat Petya NEDELTCHEVA;

WANG Lin VS Mew Choo WONG ----WANG Lin can beat Mew Choo WONG , because it is WS , not MD.

FU Haifeng/CAI Yun VS Bin Shen TAN/Soon Hock ONG ----CAI/FU can beat OSH/TBS;

Teik Chai GAN/Mohd Zakry ABDUL LATIF VS Jens ERIKSEN/Martin LUNDGAARD HANSEN ----Jens ERIKSEN/Martin LUNDGAARD HANSEN can beat Teik Chai GAN/Mohd Zakry ABDUL LATIF;

Pek Siah LIM/Joanne Swee Ling QUAY VS Kamila AUGUSTYN/Nadiezda KOSTIUCZYK ----Kamila AUGUSTYN/Nadiezda KOSTIUCZYK can beat Pek Siah LIM/Joanne Swee Ling QUAY;

Yu Mi HWANG/Yong Dae LEE VS Vita MARISSA/Flandy LIMPELE ---- Vita MARISSA/Flandy LIMPELE can beat Yu Mi HWANG/Yong Dae LEE;

YU Yang(F)/HE Hanbin VS Hyo Jung LEE/Jae Jin LEE ----Hyo Jung LEE/Jae Jin LEE can beat YU Yang(F)/HE Hanbin ;

ZHANG Jun/ZHAO Tingting VS ZHANG Yawen/XIE Zhongbo----ZHANG Jun/ZHAO Tingting can beat XIE Zhongbo/ZHANG Yawen;

vbmenu_register("postmenu_523533", true);

9. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    Rexy....rexy....rexy.....

I am seeing REXY'S name written all over in this years' AE.
    He is doing wonders with Malaysian MDs. Good luck to him!

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

That's funny!:D :D

Your other predictions are, well, just predictions, as are mine. Anyone CAN beat anyone on any given day. Would you care to share the reasons behind your predictions. :)

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Actually 1.5 months :D

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Good day for Malaysia yesterday. Especially surprising in WS and WD. Even Anita Raj Kaur did well to almost upset Saina. Malaysia has 2 WS and 3 WD in R16? Although I don't expect them to last much longer, it's a very positive sign for the Malaysian women team.

Glorious day for Malaysian MD, but then again, they usually fizzle out round about the R16-QF stage. Only Hafiz and LCW remaining. WCH was unlucky to meet Simon in qualifiers. No quality 4th singles player for Malaysia.

Today's pick:

Hafiz v Sony - Malaysia No 2 vs Indonesia No 2
    Chen Yu v Boonsak - a potentially good match

Wong MC v Wang Lin - Chinese back-up v Chinese back-up beater

Gan/Zakry v Eriksen/Lundgaard - only because Danes were shaky yesterday

Emms/Kellogg v Polii/Marissa - I think Indons will edge it

Hwang YM/Lee YD v Limpele/Marissa - Indon edge
    Yu Yang/He HB v Lee HJ/Lee JJ - Korean edge

13. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    LYB is not going to like this at all.....:D:D:D:D:D:D Can TBS/OSH overtake KKK/TBH as MAS 1st pair in near future?

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

TBS and OSH have been a pleasant surprise lately. They started off well, had a lull and are picking it up again. I hope LYB's not reading my posts:p :p :p :p

15. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    who's that horny guy by the way? never heard of him b4.....:D:D:D:D:D

16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Indonesia's representatives first...

11:00 WD R2 Gail Emms/Donna Kellogg vs Vita Marissa/Greysia Polii -- huge match for Vita/Greysia...hope they can win.
    11:20 MS R2 Lin Dan vs Simon Santoso -- look's like end of the road for Simon
    11:40 MD R2 Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya vs Guo Zhendong/He Hanbin -- shouldn't be a problem for the veteran pair.
    12:20 MS R2 Muhd Hafiz Hashim vs Sony Dwi Kuncoro -- a tough match for both players...and I hope Sony prevails!
    12:40 MD R2 Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto vs Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong -- a bleak prospect for Luluk/Alvent...they need to slow the Malaysians down....and don't let them establish a healthy lead.
    1:20 XD R2 Lee Yong Dae/Hwang Yu Mi vs Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa -- again, a tough match in prospect. The INA pair is more experienced...but..they were stretched to 3 sets yesterday :cool:
    2:20 XD R2 Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir vs Robin Middleton/Liza Parker -- playing against a home pair is always tricky and Nova/Butet have lost to unheralded English pair at the Korean Open. Losing again will be a disaster...
    5:40 MD R2 Han Sang Hoon/Yoo Yeon Seong vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan -- a late match for Kido/Hendra...and it should be quite manageable.

17. LI De Quan

LI De Quan Regular Member

student
    CAI/FU OSH/TBS LI Yongbo Yap Kim Hock

I'll bet CAI/FU can beat OSH/TBS!!!!!!

Yap Kim Hock:Hello, Yongbo , our Mew Choo has become hero.She beat LU LAN !!!!that's incredible!!!!!

LI Yongbo: Hello,Kim Hock,how are you?
    yesterday your Mew Choo beat our LU Lan .She was almost crying after the match.Then I told WANG Lin she must beat Mew Choo today .If she can't do this,she won't have chance anymore.

Yap Kim Hock:Then what are you think about OSH/TBS ? they are really strong!!!!! They are my idol.

LI Yongbo:
    2006 Chinese Taipei open : CAI/FU 21-7,21-13 OSH/TBS;
    2007 Malaysia super series: CAI/FU 23-25,17-21 OSH/TBS;

what do you think abot this , Kim Hock?
    They don't kept in systematic training During that time.
    So they did very badly .
    My prediction:CAI/FU 21-xx,21-xx(xx<20)OSH/TBS,
    What about your's?

Yap Kim Hock:You piss me off.

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

My picks of the other second round matches:

MEN'S SINGLES
    Boonsak Ponsana vs Chen Yu
    Kaspar Oedum vs Lee Chong Wei
    Park Sung Hwan vs Kenneth Jonassen
    Ng Wei vs Chen Jin

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun vs Tan Bin Shen/Ong Soon Hock
    Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae vs Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari/Lin Woon Fui
    Peter Buur Steffensen/Rasmus Mangor Andersen vs Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah
    Gan Teik Chai/Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif vs Jens Eriksen/Martin Lundgaard Hansen

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Jiang Yanjiao
    vs Julia Wong Pei Xian
    Saina Nehwal vs Wang Chen
    Wang Lin vs Wong Mew Choo
    Hwang Hye Youn vs Zhang Ning

WOMEN'S DOUBLES
    Lim Pek Siah/Joanne Quay Swee Ling vs Kamilla Augustyn/Nadiezda Kostiuczyk
    Anastasia Russkikh/Ekaterina Ananina vs Wong Pei Tty/Chin Ee Hui
    Hwang Yu Mi/Jung Youn Kyung vs Du Jing/Yu Yang

MIXED DOUBLES
    He Hanbin/Du Jing vs Lee Jae Jin/Lee Hyo Jung
    Gail Emms/Nathan Robertson vs Daniel Shirley/Joanne Quay Swee Ling
    Hwang Ji Man/Jung Youn Kyung vs Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter-Juhl
    Zhang Jun/Zhao Tingting vs Xie Zhongbo/Zhang Yawen

19. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    Wang Lin vs Wong Mew Choo!!! =P

20. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Me thinks MD, WD, and XD will be dominated by Koreans.
    Aja aja fighting !!!!!!! :D