a question about VRC

Discussion in 'Vancouver Racquets Club' started by s_m_a_s_h_e_r, Mar 7, 2007.

1. s_m_a_s_h_e_r

s_m_a_s_h_e_r Regular Member

I am on the waiting list and I was told that I had a good chance to be a full-time member starting May 1st. Before I pay big bucks, I would like to make sure I like what I am going to get and I have one question: Is there a group of players who are playing singles Tuesday nights, Friday nights, Saturdays or Sundays? If so, may I join the group as a visitor to see if my skill level fits the group's well? I am 40ish and my skill level is recreational. Please feel free to pm me. Thanks.

2. xXHilikusXx

xXHilikusXx Regular Member

meh theres always all sorts of players for adults, but i must say u gotta go meet ppl and ask them to play cause they are usually in their own little groups already

3. Growler

Growler Regular Member

Engineer
    Also, doubles has priority over singles at nights, until 10pm.

There's rarely singles going on during peak hours at night, especially when it's busy. Even when courts are available, I don't notice a lot of singles going on.

There IS a singles ladder (can't remember which night it's on).

4. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    The singles ladder is on Wed nites. There are some ( not lots) people who play singles..its just a matter of getting to know people then arranging games with them during the times when singles and doubles have equal priority... which is most nights except tuesdays and during organized play ( ie the doubles ladder, mixed ladder or mixer nights).

5. xXHilikusXx

i didnt think the adult singles ladder is on weds hes 40 = years old so i dont think he'll be going to that 1

like 12 year olds go there

its best for u just to take a look at the schedule on the vrc website

GOogle it ;)

6. s_m_a_s_h_e_r

Thank you for the replies. I checked out the schedule on their website. Although it says "Badminton Schedule 2005-2006", I take it as the current schedule. It seems that there is no singles ladders for adults.

Once you become a member, what is the best way to get to know people there? Go to the doubles ladders on Mondays and the mixer nights on Wednesdays?

7. xXHilikusXx

if you going to mixer nights (on thurs?) i think its best u bring a partner along, girls are a rarity lol

now to meet ppl easy, friday nights GO TO THE BAR lol haha i am just joking.... ( maybe i am not ;)

well really just go out whenever ur free and ask ppl that look like ur lvl to play, if your shy u wont meet anyone ^^

um mind me asking if you chinese or caucasian, one of the things ive found while at vrc is that they are seperated ^^

but if ur around 40, most ppl ur age come say after 9-10pm

earlier times we have small groups of adults many seniors and lotsa junior/ training ^^

anyways good luck with badminton we make things more diffucult for ourselves when we plan ahead too much ^^

8. Growler

Growler Regular Member

Engineer
    That doesn't sound right; :confused: I'm pretty sure I've seen a singles ladder for adults at VRC. If I remember correctly, they play on Wednesdays? Couple of courts reserved, while the mixers are going on. I could be wrong about Wednesday, but I'm pretty sure there IS an adult singles ladder.

Those are all ways to get to know people there, yes. If you're showing up alone, it's not a bad way either. The doubles ladders on Mondays are actually better, I think, because the Wednesday mixers have been pretty "thin" (I've stopped going completely because of this, so I'm not even sure what the turnouts have been like). :)

Once you get to know people from the ladders, you can progress to playing games with them after the ladders are over, or on other nights i.e. hang rackets.

The scene at VRC becomes readily apparent after a short while, and it's pretty easy to become part of it, IMHO.

9. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    There is a singles ladder on Wed nites, but you have to sign up for it. You have to play other people who signed up for it over a set period of time. The best way to meet people is to go to the Monday doubles ladder. It is pretty quiet on mixer night. You may find people a little stand-offish at first but if you stick with it, eventually you will find a group who play at the same level as you and it shouldn't be difficult to find games. You might also ask the pro at the club to introduce you to some people who could play with you. Contrary to popular belief, there are friendly people at the club!

10. s_m_a_s_h_e_r

Thank you for the useful information and suggestions, Hilikus, Growler and 15Love. I appreciate it.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Join our group on Wednesday and Saturday night from 9:00 PM onward :D. You will find Growler and his bro Wood_22_Chuck :).

12. s_m_a_s_h_e_r

Thanks for the invitation, Pete LSD. I am not sure if I am good and young enough to join your group but I will try. Now I just need to receive a letter from VRC and become a member, which I hope will happen sometime soon.

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Don't worry. We have speed78 and Mr. speed78 to play with you. Plus there are a number of 40 + players in our group. Certainly, age is not a factor :D.

14. xXHilikusXx

sat afterward elite huh ^^ i am closer thn ever to finding out who petelsd is lol

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The irony is that you know who I am :D :D :D.

16. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

Haha Pete... you gonna get yelled at when they get back and read this...:D

17. s_m_a_s_h_e_r

Pete LSD, may I join your group this Saturday as a visitor?

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I will probably be busy on Saturday but you can ask other people in our group. Please PM me for more info.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that is a 30+ group.
    are u 30+?

i mean the string tension :p

20. Growler

Growler Regular Member

Engineer
    I'm not a 30+ player... that's why I can't play with the group! :D