Centre of Gravity and balance in racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cheung, Nov 20, 2000.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    When we mention about balance and centre of gravity for any racquet, are we doing this with extra grips on? Theoretically, the extra weight with extra grips will change the balance, right?
    A 3U racquet may change to a 2U and so on. Won't this alter people's games?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cheung, here is another kwun's physics guessing session.

since swing the racket is a rotational motion, the further away from the center of rotation, the higher the impact. since the wrist is the center, adding weight at the grip doesn't affect the swing of the racket that much. if the rotation center is at the elbow or shoulder, the tiny weight of the grip when compare to the arm is negligible.

however, putting extra grip on affects how well force is transmitted to the racket and the vibration/feedback of the racket to the hand, which is much more important and will outweigh any impact the weight of the grip has.

but as i said, i am just guessing. it does sound good though, right? :)

3. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    I thnk that sounds right. Adding extra grip doesn't seem to effect the balance in real terms.

4. Patrick

Patrick Guest

Hi
    I have been experimenting with this aspect for some time now, just like to share my 2 cents worth.........

1. Each racket is manufactured with a certain balance point e.g. norm 295mm from the racket handle.
    2. Therefore when you';re swinging the racket you would feel the actual wt. of the racket of say 90g.
    3. The pivot point is your wrist.
    4. When the grip tape is added, an extra of a few grams conteracts the original manufactured balance. Thus the racket will probably feel head light.
    5. The balance aspect definite plays apart in the game, more swing power if the racket is heavier