backhand clear technique?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by killersmash, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

my back hand clear is totally noob ( as in super noob :crying:) it always just pass the net and my opponent will just whack it down.. so i usually do backhand drop.. overtime people can predict my move so they will stand in front of the net waiting to pounce on my drop shot :(. I tried pracitising my back hand clear but the best it could get was half court.. do i use my wrist or my whole arm? and when the shuttle is behind me my clear will go high and near the net and they will juz tap it down :crying:. Can anyone plz tell me the technique on how to make my back hand clear at least 3/4 court? i use power ball to train my wrist btw :) ur replies are much appreciated

2. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

backhand

i think the problem is you dont have the proper timing. your hitting the shuttle high but not straight , you should have enough power its just your timing look at some profesionals taking a backhand shot and you see how youll hv to bend your wrist but remember youll have to take a full swing. good luck

3. sulismies

sulismies Regular Member

Clearly you need to learn the proper technique first.

There are several threads on the topic, check for example this one
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36727

As a quick start, you might want to watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqiR2vVn-J8

In the very beginning, don't focus on the length of the backhand clear too much. Try to get your grip, body position, wrist snap and timing correct. When you feel comfortable with the stroke, try to make consistent backhand drops, then try to reach mid-court and finally go for the full length clear.

Before you can do a full length backhand clear, there are some other options you may consider as "quick and dirty fixes" to your game:
    -try to make the overhead backhand drop very close to the net, to you opponents forehand corner; if you are lucky you may get away with it (this is better than a clear that does not reach even mid-court)
    -as an option, try to do a cross-court drop every now and then
    -when you opponent's clear is shorter than usual, try to do your best backhand clear, this will add also some element of surprise

And of course there is this very fundamental advice: try to improve you footwork so that you do not need to use your backhand that much. Unfortunately, learning effective footwork is even more challenging than learning a decent backhand clear: for effective footwork you will need good strentgh and technique, for your backhand clear good technique should be enough.

If you have the possibility, try to find a coach that will show you the basics. If nothing else, you might watch some players with better technique at local badminton hall and after they have finished their training session, you might kindly ask them for quick advice on you backhand. If they are in hurry, they may answer "no" but it is more likely that they will give you some valuable feedback.

#3 sulismies, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  4. killersmash

so do i use my whole arm or the wrist only? and can anyone show/explain to me the proper back hand clear grip?ur replies are much appreciated :D

5. sulismies

sulismies Regular Member

#5 sulismies, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

7. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
  8. killersmash

TY FOR UR REPLY! the grip feels so much better... i tried the thumb grip but the shots are always sliced.. i think the multipurpose grip is the best... btw do u think powerball is good for training for back hand clears ?:confused:

9. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

can explain to me what is powerball training?? thank you..

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Glad to help :) Like you say, the thumb grip causes you to slice the shuttle, because you cannot comfortably make your racket face forwards (it faces out to the side). So either you slice it (terrible power loss) or you hit it out the side.

I think there are lots of ways to train strength (or "speed-strength") for backhand clears. Powerball training is one way. Of course, you also need good timing (technique).

(A powerball is a handheld gyroscope that creates resistance as you rotate your hand/arm.)

11. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Thanks gollum for your explanation.. Then i guess the powerball that you are referring to is what i know.. the sidek brothers seems to have powerball training during their era too..

12. killersmash

:D i guess the wrist is the most important for back hand! now i will try to get the shuttle to be infront of me :) ( foot work training!)

13. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    turn over to forehand la

14. killersmash

who wouldn't if they could :D:p

15. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

practice, practice and practice.. practice makes perfect..

16. ssuly

ssuly Regular Member

student
    Hi Gollum, I would like to argue that actually the bevel grip u're suggesting is not the best way for backhand grip. However, I agree that the "full" thumb grip which is used for net kill is even worse for a backhand grip.
    The "best" backhand grip I'm suggesting is shown in picture 2 below.

If the "full" thumb grip isPicture 1.jpg
    Then the "best" backhand grip is Picture 2.jpg

The idea is to maintain the thumb position on the same side as the one in "full" thumb grip so that you can get the power advantage, but change the orientation as shown in the picture so that you can still hit a backhand clear without slashing. However, I noticed that some "improving" players still slash the shuttles eventhough they're using the backhand grip I suggested.
    So this is the point of the issue:
    The bevel grip u're suggesting is less powerful but no slashing guaranteed. My backhand grip is more powerful but learning players would tend to slice.
    I called my backhand grip is the "best" because I believe wrist flexibility could be trained so that u no longer slash the shuttle, thus u have the power advantage.
    I also remember reading an article as why Taufik Hidayat's backhand is that good and it said that Taufik has an extremely flexible and strong wrist. In a humble way, i'm wondering that Taufik is using a similar grip as mine.

A bit talk of my credibility: My backhand skills in terms of power is thought to be the best in my badminton community. Not only a backhand clear, I could do powerful backhand drives and also 3/4 of court backhand smashes. I could only promise that this is the least subjective opinion, as I strive to judge myself as how other people judge me.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Your pictures are broken :(

It's difficult to be sure exactly what grip you are describing. Grips are notoriously difficult to describe. That's one reason I've spent so much time rethinking the grips guide.

As a general comment, simplicity is crucial in grips teaching. You have to describe the essential characteristics of each grip clearly and concisely. Players have to understand the essential differences between the grips.

From your description, however, I suspect that we are actually talking about the same grip. The bevel ("multipurpose"/"universal") grip does use the thumb for power from behind the racket, just not in quite the same place as the full "backhand" thumb grip.

I think you have probably been thrown off by the angle of photographs in my guide.

Moreover, I recommend against teaching "the best backhand grip". Even for backhand clears/smashes, the best grip will depend on the situation. The bevel grip is a good start, but if the shuttle is farther behind you then you must move more towards a panhandle grip, with the thumb placement shifting towards the side bevel. When the shuttle is farther in front, you'll switch back towards a thumb grip (assuming you don't just play a forehand).

While I'm sure you're a good player, that doesn't provide much credibility on its own. It's better to defer to more authoritative sources when they are available (such as national coaching bodies and national/world class coaches). Amateur players often have their own quirky ways of playing, which work well enough at their level of play, but fall apart at higher levels of play.

I'm not saying that you're a weaker player than I; you may well be much stronger. It doesn't matter.

I hope you can fix those pictures so I can get a better understanding of your idea :)

#17 Gollum, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  18. killersmash

:confused: im really confused with who to believe... this is exactly what my face looks like ! :)confused:)
    i will try both though:D ty for ur replies:)

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

We don't yet know whether there is a real difference of opinion.

20. ssuly

ssuly Regular Member

student
    Gollum, sorry for the broken link, I hope I did it correctly this time.
    Picture 1.jpg for the "full" thumb grip
    Picture 2.jpg for the backhand grip I suggested

I totally agree with u that grips in badminton is very diverse depending on where u have to make the shot. I should say specifically that my backhand grip should be used for backhand clear, drive, or smash where the shuttle is at the side (could be a little bit to the front or to the back) of your body, but neither at the front nor at the back.

I understand that I shouldn't use my credibility to gain dominance in this kind of argument. It's just that I'm new to this technique forum, and I just want to get a bit more positive view from my readers, that's all.:)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.