Professional Player's Best Coach

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by JaCk™, Mar 11, 2007.

1. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

I have done a thorough search before starting this thread.. Rexy Mainaky must be regarded as the best coach following the success of KKK/TBH.. but is he able to produce another KKK/TBH if he coaches another country? how about wong tat meng? how about li mao? how about china coach where china won 4 out of 5 titles in the recent AE? my vote goes to Rexy for being the best coach in planning strategy and motivating his players..well, the best coach might change from time to time depending on player's performance.. come on, share your opinions here on who is the best coach.. :)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you need to define "best" first. otherwise, you will get a lot of differing opinions.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    In Terms of the Best.. i think the Ultimate should be Li YongBo!

4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I think in China, the coaches don't matter as much as the system. Coaches there are just tools of an admittedly very well-oiled system, and not just for badminton. No disrespect to Li Yongbo and other Chinese coaches, they are definitely top quality coaches nonetheless.

In the rest of the world (eg. BAM), the system is not quite perfect yet, hence having great coaches with wider discretionary powers is more important here. At least there is less politics and tampering of selection now, compared to when Morten Frost and Prof Park Joo Bong were in charge.

5. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    LYB no doubt though i dislike his arrogant attitude.......

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yes, but the subject is about best coaches, not arrogant/humble ones .....

7. kian chuan

kian chuan Regular Member

student
    rexy is the best

rexy is the best, no metter he is player or coach. he is the right person and in the right place.We can see how KKK/TBH emerge suddenly as asian games and AE champion. He realy put in effort to train player. LYB! i have nothing to say. And rexy is my favorite player also, his games with CSK/YKH in olympic 1996 still fresh in my mind. i still remember the time he retired as player, he said he will coach Malaysia if he has chance to do so, and he did kept his promise. Great great REXY, and congratulation to Kien Kiet/Boon Hiong. Good job! and so pity for Malaysian if they dont have even a single olympic gold in the country,Go Go GO Kien Kiet/Boon Hiong olympic>>>2008>>>Beijing>>>Gold Medal. Catch up your coach, come on young man.

8. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

So far, i believe Rexy Mainaky is the best coach.. He motivates KKK/TBH on court and plan the correct strategy.. I believe all the game strategy comes from Rexy.. Li Mao produces LCW but he is the runner up to Lin Dan most of the times.. Wong Tat Meng seems not to have the motivation power to fire LCW up.. LCW still lacks the confidence and mental strength.. LYB no doubt creates powerhouse China, but his politics policy will cause unhappy players such as Zhou Mi.. Kim Her managed to produce 3 young Korea pairs but somehow, KKK/TBH achieves more than the Koreans.. So, my last vote is still for REXY.. Well done REXY!

9. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

So far after the AE success, everyone keeps mentioning and praising KKK/TBH and Rexy.. one man is forgotten.. Yap Kim Hock, the chief coach of Malaysia.. is he partly responsible for the emergence of KKK/TBH??

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmmm...difficult to say..

..like kwun wrote above, and like you also wrote above, which i've highlighted in bold, i think it's hard and relative to *define* who is/are "the best" coach(es)....;)
    But, IMO, how successful players/pairs are, it falls on the shoulder of the players. It is they, who execute and follow whatever strategies which have been given to them by the coaches..Perhaps we could also say, "great players can play & win with whoever is their coach(es)".. ;):cool:

#10 ctjcad, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  11. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Thanks for your advice.. well, here's the explanation.. The 'best' coach can be defined as a coach who guides his players to WINNING titles CONSISTENTLY.. unless his players is consistent in winning, the coach has nothing to shout about.. So far, Rexy managed to guide KKK/TBH to win consistently.. How about the coaches in Korea, China, Indonesia? Perhaps some country badminton organization can start to look for good coaches to improve on certain department such as woman single and woman double.. Hmm.. the best coaches for the WS and WD definitely comes from China..

12. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Definition of "Best" Coach

The 'best' coach can be defined as a coach who guides his players to WINNING titles CONSISTENTLY..:)

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't agree. The "good" coach is the one fully discover and utilize the players' ability. Therefore, a coach's rating should not be lowered, just because s/he has several all stars to begin with.

For example, student A's average is always 50. One day, he gets a 65. Student B's average is 95, and one day, he gets a 100. Which one you think is still a better student? :rolleyes:

It's true that the CHN coaches usually don't have to worry too much of the quatity of talents. However, they are facing the pressure as no one else facing - no failure is allowed. Other nation's coaches, if one of their players get into a final, they might be national hero. In CHN, if they only get 2 or 3 out of 5 medals in a tourny, that's consider as a failure. The pressure of "don't win all is a lost" can be hardly experienced for other coaches.

#13 LazyBuddy, Mar 12, 2007
  14. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Wow, with that definition, I can again say that Rexy is a good coach.. He spotted the talent in KKK/TBH and split their ex partnership.. Remember everyone was doubting his decision before the AG, but now, looks like he's everyone favourite in Malaysia..

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't agree. Winning or not, it's a combo of coaching and the players themselves. To me, a coach who brings the players to be "over achieve" is much better than the "under achieve".

You can give me a NBA all star team, and give a legendary NBA coach a junior high school team. Mostly, my NBA all star team will win easily, but I don't think I am a much better coach than the other one. :rolleyes:

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well if that's the case, I think Tang is even better. He got Cai and Fu from nowhere (not even in nationa team I?) and now they are one of the best in the world. ;)

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, better explanation but...

..perhaps talents & attitudes of players are part of the mix also??..how abt coach(es) who produce good players who don't win *consistently* but *consistently* always finish near the top or better than the rest of the competition?? Are we going to "label" them as "not the best" coach(es)??..;)
    ..on this one, i think most of us BCers can probably identify who they are..;):cool:

#17 ctjcad, Mar 12, 2007
  18. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

I remember Cai Yun played single in China before switching to doubles.. Fu played for his province and the coach noticed his ability.. They choose each other as partner coincidentally, not Tang pairs them together.. Fu wrote that he wishes Cai to be his partner while Cai wrote that he wishes Fu to be his partner.. it was pure fate that they chose each other although they are not each other first choice..
    Cai n Fu fail to win consistently for the past few months.. eg, AG and AE.. anyway, i agree that Cai and Fu is the best pair in China now.. Salute to them.. No harm praising those who are good..:)

19. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

that's why i did not mention Li Mao as the best coach.. LCW seems to be mr runner up to LD.. now, he's even labelled as mr quarterfinalist.. No doubt, LD coach can be considered as the best too.. :)

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Good players and coaches meet with each other always have the "luck" factors involved. So, if I say Rexy never get the coacing job, he will never be able to show his success with KKK and TBH, right?

The good ones are the ones catch the oppotunity and let it shine. The failure are the ones let the chances slip through their fingers. ;)