Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Taufik: World meet losing prestige

Taufik: World meet losing prestige

source: thestar.com

IF Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia has his way, he would boycott the World Championships.

The two-time Asian Games champion does not fancy having the World Championships annually. He is hoping the Badminton World Federation (BWF) will revert to the way things were – with the championships held once every two years.

“It takes the prestige away from the world meet when it is held every year. If one fails, they can always say – I can try next year,” said Taufik.

“But the long wait – like in the Olympics and Asian Games – makes the chase for honours more interesting.”

Taufik did not see a need for the annual world meet because the Super Series introduced this year would end with Super Series Finals. “The Super Series Finals will be sufficient.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To tell u the truth, even when it was once every two years, I felt that the All-England was still more compelling than World Championships. Don't know why.

It really isn't the same as football's World Cup or even European Champions League.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are plenty of players who 're better than Taufik in Indonesia. His attitude is becoming a joke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abedeng
    To tell u the truth, even when it was once every two years, I felt that the All-England was still more compelling than World Championships. Don't know why.
    I agree with you. All England is definetely the most prestigious badminton tournament because it is the oldest badminton tournament by far compared to all the other tournaments. I think All England started in the late 1890s so there is a lot of history involved. Before the World Championships started in 1977 the All England was the unofficial de facto World Championships. All England is like Wimbledon in tennis. To win an All England title puts you in the league of great players that strecthed more than a century. That is a great honour!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, having the world championship every year will make it lose its prestige. If i fail to win this year, I can try next week. There is no significant history behind the world championship too. To me, there are 3 most prestigious event, The Thomas Cup, All England and The Olympics..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no doubt about it .. The World meet has lost all his prestige. I really think it's the worst idea from the BWF. An as Taufik, i also think the Super Series Final will replace the World Championship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, what's World Championship for? Does it mean that a player who does not win any Super Series tournament but win the World Championship considered as World Champion?? Lin Dan won more tournaments CONSISTENTLY than TH but TH won the Olympics and World Championship.. so who's the actual world champion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JaCkô
    Ya, having the world championship every year will make it lose its prestige. If i fail to win this year, I can try next week. There is no significant history behind the world championship too. To me, there are 3 most prestigious event, The Thomas Cup, All England and The Olympics..
    It seems unfair not to mention the Uber Cup (for women) and the Sudirman Cup (mixed team) as well since they are also team championships like the TC.

But the World Championships is an individual event like the AE, though it lacks history and tradition. But the title, Champion of the World, is consolation enough for the best to fight hard for it. Especially if it is run properly and accorded the kind of status to which it rightfully belongs. No doubt the Super Series Finals will take away some shine from the WC, more so as the total prize money will be the highest at no less than US$500,000, I believe.

It is one thing to say that if you can't win the WC this year, there will be another chance next year. It is another if you not only win it this year, next year, the year after next, and successively for as long as you are a top professional.

Rudy Hartono has proven that he is the best during his era by winning the AE men's singles title (unofficial title of World Champion) year after year for 7 successive years. He holds the current record of 8 wins in total. Now Lin Dan has won it 3 times. Could he make it 9, although not successively?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup are not so interesting.. Why?? Haha.. Well, because China is the sure winner.. Without any fight, China can easily retain the Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehhe.. Loh, maybe he was refering to Mens tournament.

I do agree with Taufik in a way. Not many players are looking foward to WC now if they are not prepared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ants, i did consider the Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup before deciding that they are both not so interesting to watch.. U agree with me on China dominance on both tournament?? With China dominance, badminton is boring..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

China Dominance is indeed boring.. but what makes it exciting is seeing other country trying hard to scrape of their dominance. Oh well.. we must have balance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the World Championship have a maximum entry from a single country, or is it just by rankings?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as fellow Malaysians, i hope MAS can try hard to win Sudirman Cup too.. we have a chance in MS and MD.. 50-50 chance in Mix Doubles too, if KKK partners WPT.. somehow, i still feel its hard for Malaysia to snatch points from China in MS, WS, WD and XD, from our CURRENT form.. Hope LCW bucks up at this world championship.. Our homeground.. Don't make us lose face..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the most exciting and crazy has always been the thomas cup

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yy_ling
    I think the most exciting and crazy has always been the thomas cup
    agreed, you just can't beat the thomas cup for suspense, speculation, unimaginable joy and unrivalled dissapointment ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, that's y i say Thomas Cup is definitely hotter and crazier than the Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup..

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast