Taufik: World meet losing prestige

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by kwun, Mar 12, 2007.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Taufik: World meet losing prestige

source: thestar.com

IF Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia has his way, he would boycott the World Championships.

The two-time Asian Games champion does not fancy having the World Championships annually. He is hoping the Badminton World Federation (BWF) will revert to the way things were – with the championships held once every two years.

“It takes the prestige away from the world meet when it is held every year. If one fails, they can always say – I can try next year,” said Taufik.

“But the long wait – like in the Olympics and Asian Games – makes the chase for honours more interesting.”

Taufik did not see a need for the annual world meet because the Super Series introduced this year would end with Super Series Finals. “The Super Series Finals will be sufficient.”

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    To tell u the truth, even when it was once every two years, I felt that the All-England was still more compelling than World Championships. Don't know why.

It really isn't the same as football's World Cup or even European Champions League.

3. snasirin

snasirin Regular Member

Lecturer
    There are plenty of players who 're better than Taufik in Indonesia. His attitude is becoming a joke.

4. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    I agree with you. All England is definetely the most prestigious badminton tournament because it is the oldest badminton tournament by far compared to all the other tournaments. I think All England started in the late 1890s so there is a lot of history involved. Before the World Championships started in 1977 the All England was the unofficial de facto World Championships. All England is like Wimbledon in tennis. To win an All England title puts you in the league of great players that strecthed more than a century. That is a great honour!

5. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Ya, having the world championship every year will make it lose its prestige. If i fail to win this year, I can try next week. There is no significant history behind the world championship too. To me, there are 3 most prestigious event, The Thomas Cup, All England and The Olympics..

6. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

There's no doubt about it .. The World meet has lost all his prestige. I really think it's the worst idea from the BWF. An as Taufik, i also think the Super Series Final will replace the World Championship.

7. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

By the way, what's World Championship for? Does it mean that a player who does not win any Super Series tournament but win the World Championship considered as World Champion?? Lin Dan won more tournaments CONSISTENTLY than TH but TH won the Olympics and World Championship.. so who's the actual world champion? :confused:

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It seems unfair not to mention the Uber Cup (for women) and the Sudirman Cup (mixed team) as well since they are also team championships like the TC. :rolleyes:

But the World Championships is an individual event like the AE, though it lacks history and tradition. But the title, Champion of the World, is consolation enough for the best to fight hard for it. Especially if it is run properly and accorded the kind of status to which it rightfully belongs. No doubt the Super Series Finals will take away some shine from the WC, more so as the total prize money will be the highest at no less than US$500,000, I believe.

It is one thing to say that if you can't win the WC this year, there will be another chance next year. It is another if you not only win it this year, next year, the year after next, and successively for as long as you are a top professional.

Rudy Hartono has proven that he is the best during his era by winning the AE men's singles title (unofficial title of World Champion) year after year for 7 successive years. He holds the current record of 8 wins in total. Now Lin Dan has won it 3 times. Could he make it 9, although not successively? :D

9. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Both Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup are not so interesting.. Why?? Haha.. Well, because China is the sure winner.. Without any fight, China can easily retain the Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup.. :(

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hehhe.. Loh, maybe he was refering to Mens tournament.

I do agree with Taufik in a way. Not many players are looking foward to WC now if they are not prepared.

11. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Ants, i did consider the Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup before deciding that they are both not so interesting to watch.. U agree with me on China dominance on both tournament?? With China dominance, badminton is boring..

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    China Dominance is indeed boring.. but what makes it exciting is seeing other country trying hard to scrape of their dominance. Oh well.. we must have balance.

13. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Does the World Championship have a maximum entry from a single country, or is it just by rankings?

14. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

as fellow Malaysians, i hope MAS can try hard to win Sudirman Cup too.. we have a chance in MS and MD.. 50-50 chance in Mix Doubles too, if KKK partners WPT.. somehow, i still feel its hard for Malaysia to snatch points from China in MS, WS, WD and XD, from our CURRENT form.. Hope LCW bucks up at this world championship.. Our homeground.. Don't make us lose face.. :eek:

15. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    I think the most exciting and crazy has always been the thomas cup

16. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

agreed, you just can't beat the thomas cup for suspense, speculation, unimaginable joy and unrivalled dissapointment ...

17. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

yes, that's y i say Thomas Cup is definitely hotter and crazier than the Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup..

18. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    I do agree, "China Dominace is indeed boring". But I also tired to hear this again and again. The point is "Did other countries put their efforts into this to break the dominance?". I don't think so. For example, with BAM's poor management, they even failed to keep great coach Li Mao (lack of proper funding, lack of the freedom to chose young players, lack of personal support, like high speed network, etc, etc). What else we can expect?

Please think positively. :)

#18 nibaxiang, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Agree that BAM and PBSI management do not help to advance badminton. It appears we have to accept that itis a fact of life for CHN to dominate this game...it is like David vrs Goliath.

Once in a while, the rest of the world would produce a PG, TH, LCW and in the past LS King, Icuh, Hendrawan, Alan Budi, Joko, etc. to counter CHN prowess...but presently, I could not see any young talents coming up from the rest of the world to replace PG, LCW, LHI and TH. CHN has an army coming up, and can retire CH and XXZ. CHN can do away with Gong Wie Jie, which would be considered a prospect in any other countries, and where is he now?

We know that to improve in badminton, coaching, budget, etc. can take you so far, you need competitive training partners to improve your game, especially for top level players...I could only imagine what it is like training in China with the majority of the top women and men players in the world assemble in a training hall, training/learning from each other. Their training is more like world class competition, making CHN's team must be very difficult.

CHN dominance of the game and cleaning up every tourneys (it appears that's the trend now), the game would have a hard time getting sponsors and TV money and would not penetrate the rich North American market. Yonex would be the lone major sponsors and the winner's prize would remain in the ten thousands dollar range, not millions as in tennis.

The only venues which guarantee full stadiums may be INA, MAS and CHN. Outside of these countries, the game would be played in empty stadiums. Take 1985 WC in Calgary played in a university stadium and even then is empty and Anaheim 2005 (I was there) where even in the finals with TG playing for USA, take away the seats occupied by the players themselves, the stadium is half full. If WC05 is played in INA, I guarantee you cannot buy tickest at the gate, the same goes for WC07 in MAS, it will be full house, and you would be wise to buy in advance.

How to neutralize CHN's might? That is a million dollar question. Mr. Deep Thinker Punch Gunalan tried 7-point system, now 21-point system, restricting to max 4-player from one country in WC and still CHN rules. There are accusations of game-fixing by CHN in SF, and if that is true, it would take a herculean effort for anyone to overcome CHN dominance.

Li Ling Wei joined OC as CHN representative recently and that is good news for badminton which many people feels is in danger of being removed from future OLY events. Li recognized this deficit (i.e. CHN's dominance) and encourage CHN to let their retired-yet excellent players to migrate and play for other countries. Why did she do that? Cos she has a job to do, that is to promote and advance the game...and for fans, especially the fans who fly in and pay to watch the game, wouldn't we want to see the best players in action and not when the outcome is fixed....and certainly domination by any country in any sport, not just badminton, is not healthy, badminton as exciting as it is (now I am bias) would not grow internationally and would remain a regional, Asian sport.:rolleyes:

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Haha, looks like...

..with this statement from Taufik, i guess we'll just prepare for him to *FINALLY* show up at that yr end Grand Prix Finale and don't expect much from him in other SS tourneys; and he'll go for the big jugular prize money of half a million USD:cool:......or will he show up at all??..:p :D;)
    Btw, thanks kwun for the article, although i believe we've seen him made these comments before..;)

#20 ctjcad, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007